Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

Growing your own.

Good friends of mine have replanted mint in a big pot and just recently got a dwarf lime tree so they can grown their own for mojitos. The price of limes at the market borders on criminal for a citrus growing state.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Good friends of mine have replanted mint in a big pot and just recently got a dwarf lime tree so they can grown their own for mojitos. The price of limes at the market borders on criminal for a citrus growing state.

I noticed recently a disparity in prices between Limes at £0.20 (20p) each and Lemons at £0.28 (28p) each, it used to be that Limes were more expensive.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
You St-Germain fans may be interested in a drink with a classically summery name: the White Linen. It originated in Sacramento, where they know a thing or two about quenching the heat.

It consists of gin, St-G, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and here's the twist - fresh cucumber. Proportions not available.

I'd 86 the cuke and serve it rocks in a tall glass. Call it an Off-White Linen.

One of my old favorites, now: a rum punch called the Silversmith, as made at the Century Club in New York. The actual recipe is a club secret, but I used to mimic it this way, calling it the...

Paul Revere
2 parts brandy
2 parts white rum
1 part unsweetened lemon juice
Combine in pre-chilled metal goblet. Fill with soda water. Optional garnish: lemon twist.

After two servings, wake the neighbors and start horsing around. lol

I have to find those goblets. It's been a long time...

Fletch said:
You St-Germain fans may be interested in a drink with a classically summery name: the White Linen. It originated in Sacramento, where they know a thing or two about quenching the heat.

It consists of gin, St-G, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and here's the twist - fresh cucumber. Proportions not available.

I'd 86 the cuke and serve it rocks in a tall glass. Call it an Off-White Linen.

One of my old favorites, now: a rum punch called the Silversmith, as made at the Century Club in New York. The actual recipe is a club secret, but I used to mimic it this way, calling it the...

Paul Revere
2 parts brandy
2 parts white rum
1 part unsweetened lemon juice
Combine in pre-chilled metal goblet. Fill with soda water. Optional garnish: lemon twist.

After two servings, wake the neighbors and start horsing around. lol

I have to find those goblets. It's been a long time...

Here's the set you are looking for:
!BU4h)+wBGk~$(KGrHgoH-D!EjlLl1kKDBKPu6HwuCQ~~_12.JPG

Make a whole pitcher and get the whole block involved. Use sweetened lime juice for mine. ;) :p :cheers1:

Brad Bowers said:
Now that sounds interesting! What ratio?

Brad

It came about Fourth of July. My friend and I were sitting across form the bar and Jason was scanning the bottles over and over and I knew something was going through his head. He got up and made this with Bombay Sapphire and the syrup. It looked like he just played it by ear. Pour the syrup in first and then add the gin to fill the glass. Just by looking I would say 5 or 6 to one---gin to syrup. You just want to give it a decent flavor. We only had three apiece so.....;) :p

JerseyMutt

New in Town
I've got two that I drink quite often in the summertime.

The first is gin & tonic. The second is something called Italian punch. It's made in the following manner:

Take a pint glass (or something similarly sized) and fill it with ice.
1 1/2 oz amaretto
1/2 oz citrus rum
Fill the rest with cranberry juice and stir.

El Guapo

New in Town
Margaritas
Tom Collins
Long Island Ice tea

My favorite Is the Havasu Cooler:
16 ounce glass filled with Ice, 1/3 cranberry juice cocktail, 1/3 Sky vodka, and 1/3 7-up. Hits the spot on those HOT days at Lake Havasu.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
It came about Fourth of July. My friend and I were sitting across form the bar and Jason was scanning the bottles over and over and I knew something was going through his head. He got up and made this with Bombay Sapphire and the syrup. It looked like he just played it by ear. Pour the syrup in first and then add the gin to fill the glass. Just by looking I would say 5 or 6 to one---gin to syrup. You just want to give it a decent flavor. We only had three apiece so.....;) :p

Okay, I massacred this, but ended up with something yummy anyway. I couldn't find Torani Raspberry syrup anywhere in town, but a local grocery store had their brand of raspberry syrup, so I bought that. Decided to mix it at 4:1, but didn't like the results as well as I hoped. So I made the mistake of making it 2:1, as I do a gimlet, but the resulting drink was like a big glass of Nyquil on the rocks.:eek:

So, I added some more gin in, still didn't like it, then decided to cut it with some Rose's Lime Juice. Now, that was wonderful! A Raspberry gimlet, sweet and tart. I have no idea what ratio it was, though.

I'm following that drink up with a mango smoothie, made with Arizona Tea Company's Mucho Mango smoothie concentrate (available at Sam's Club, at least last year it was), blended smooth with ice and plenty of rum to taste.

Brad

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've decided to develop a taste for gin. Any recs for a die-hard bourbon drinker? I'm thinking Hendrick's might be a good place to start, since it's, what, herbed? Cucumber and rose?

Incidentally, I hate tonic. I think it's disgusting. Quinine, yucky.

Doggy Darb

New in Town
If I ever need a refreshing drink, I must have a Mojito. Otherwise, my choice would be a Rob Roy regardless of season.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I've decided to develop a taste for gin [...] Incidentally, I hate tonic. I think it's disgusting. Quinine, yucky.
Oh, but you're missing out on that characteristic tang. Nothing is as dry and crisp with gin.

You don't have to add much; the British typically pour in just a dash to ward off the malaria. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy