Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
Oh, but you're missing out on that characteristic tang. Nothing is as dry and crisp with gin.

You don't have to add much; the British typically pour in just a dash to ward off the malaria. ;)

Can't I just use, say, soda? Maybe I've just had them with too much quinine in the past. But isn't the proper ratio 50/50?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I always put a couple of jiggers of gin in a 16 oz. tumbler with some ice, and fill it up the rest of the way with tonic. Garnish with lime, and I'm set.

I don't have a suggestion for dealing with the taste of tonic, as I'll drink tonic even without gin.lol

Brad

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I've decided to develop a taste for gin. Any recs for a die-hard bourbon drinker? I'm thinking Hendrick's might be a good place to start, since it's, what, herbed? Cucumber and rose?

Incidentally, I hate tonic. I think it's disgusting. Quinine, yucky.

Oh, lovely! I did the same thing beginning a few months back. When summer hit, in fact, because as much as i love (love!) bourbon, it is a bit heavy for those 100 degree days.

I don't know a thing about brands, as i've only tried Bombay Sapphire, but i've liked it, for what it's worth. I can't quite manage to enjoy a plain martini, but in somewhat less straightforward mixes, i have come to love gin. My favorites are a bronx (sweet and dry vermouth, gin, fresh orange juice) and gin and tonic, though i quite like a dirty martini as well.

As for not liking tonic, i've found that anything that is good with tonic is good with ginger ale as well (and vice versa), although it clearly changes the character of the drink. Even better, use half ginger ale, half plain soda - it lends a lightness to the ginger ale and a flavor to the soda that i think makes it more "mixable."

Good luck! ;)

Brad Bowers said:
Okay, I massacred this, but ended up with something yummy anyway. I couldn't find Torani Raspberry syrup anywhere in town, but a local grocery store had their brand of raspberry syrup, so I bought that. Decided to mix it at 4:1, but didn't like the results as well as I hoped. So I made the mistake of making it 2:1, as I do a gimlet, but the resulting drink was like a big glass of Nyquil on the rocks.:eek:

So, I added some more gin in, still didn't like it, then decided to cut it with some Rose's Lime Juice. Now, that was wonderful! A Raspberry gimlet, sweet and tart. I have no idea what ratio it was, though.

I'm following that drink up with a mango smoothie, made with Arizona Tea Company's Mucho Mango smoothie concentrate (available at Sam's Club, at least last year it was), blended smooth with ice and plenty of rum to taste.

Brad

Nyquil?! Oh geez! Maybe that store brand isn't working for you there.
I have taken to a scotch and creme de casis cocktail that I cannot remember the name of now but I found it in the Bartender's guide. Not Bad really. I have had the creme de casis around for a while without finding a use for it until now. :cheers1:

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I've decided to develop a taste for gin. Any recs for a die-hard bourbon drinker? I'm thinking Hendrick's might be a good place to start, since it's, what, herbed? Cucumber and rose?

Incidentally, I hate tonic. I think it's disgusting. Quinine, yucky.

Try "New Amsterdam" gin - it seems a bit lighter on the juniper and is very smooth. Makes a good martini.

Large quantities of your favorite recipe on a summer evening - just the thing!

rumblefish

One Too Many
Thoroughbred

How about; puree' a fresh peach, few ounces of rum, a squeeze from a quarter of a lemon, and a dash of Angostura. Top with soda and crushed ice.

Edit: bourbon not rum!

Boodles

A-List Customer
Holy moly Mr Fish, that sounds good

rumblefish said:
How about; puree' a fresh peach, few ounces of rum, a squeeze from a quarter of a lemon, and a dash of Angostura. Top with soda and crushed ice.

Decent peaches are finally making their way up into North Carolina. This reads like something to do them justice. Are you peeling the peach or does the puree button make that a non-issue?

JennyLou

Practically Family
rumblefish said:
That sounds good. I'll have to make one of those some time soon.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Favorite summer drink is a three-way tie among G and T, mojito, and pina colada. But the G and T is in first place in the tie.

For the gin and tonic, I muddle half a lime, add ice, then gin, and top off with tonic. Is the first step considered non-canonical?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
As I was mixing my second vodka and lemonade (made from scratch), on a lark I threw in a splash of Noilly Pratt Sweet. Me likey!!! :)

rumblefish

One Too Many
Boodles said:
Decent peaches are finally making their way up into North Carolina. This reads like something to do them justice. Are you peeling the peach or does the puree button make that a non-issue?
Boodles, I sort of use the skin as a handle as I push is through the strainer. When it's all pushed through you're left with the skin to toss out, beats peeling.

JennyLou said:
That sounds good. I'll have to make one of those some time soon.
While the peaches are still available! :)

rumblefish

One Too Many
I hope any who made my version of a Thoroughbred enjoyed it, but it should be made with bourbon not rum.:eusa_doh: *disengage brain, type*
Maybe I should proof read,,, a few times!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Can't I just use, say, soda? Maybe I've just had them with too much quinine in the past. But isn't the proper ratio 50/50?

The standard ratio I use is slightly over 2:1 - Tonic:Gin. I've tried many other ways but this seems to be the best balance.

Like Brad I too could drink tonic water on it's own but soda is a possible substitute, in which case you might fancy trying a (Tom) Collins. It has the same refreshing ability of a Gin and Tonic, allows you taste the gin and isn't so bitter.

Nash, you are quite right New Amsterdam is an excellent recent addition; it is a fine example of a slightly more traditional gin.
I don't have a problem with Hendrick's, I'm a fan as it goes, but it isn't really a typical Dry Gin.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
There is nothing like a gin and tonic in the summer although if I am anywhere near the sea I tend to like Mt. Gay and tonic--no idea why, just suggests the beach to me. Lime in both a must. Of course, taking after the French, a good, dry Bandol rose is a great summer wine. A Campari and soda, or even a Negroni, can be very refreshing, too. And, of course, Pimms. This all makes me thirsty.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24