Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lining Material in N-1: Real McCoy's vs. Iron Heart

NE202DC

Familiar Face
I recently purchased a RMC N-1 and noticed that it is slightly itchy. Not a dealbreaker, but I'm curious how similar the linings are between RMC and Iron Heart since I was considering grabbing one of their deck jackets.

I noticed that RMC says "Alpaca" while Iron heart says "80% wool/20% alpaca." Doea anyone know if the material is basically the same? Or would the 80% wool (and unlined sleeve) cut down on some of the itchiness?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Basically the same in my jackets.

Tried a Buzz Rickson once and while I really liked it, the lining was WAY more itchy than either the RMC or the IH

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I should perhaps add, that both are not the current models: IH is three seasons ago, RMC two. I can´t comment if and how there have been chances since.

NE202DC

Familiar Face
Basically the same in my jackets.

Tried a Buzz Rickson once and while I really liked it, the lining was WAY more itchy than either the RMC or the IH
I was thinking of picking up a more fitted IH for a more T-shirt-only jacket, but I don't want to end up with two itchy N-1 Deck Jackets.

Is this an allergy issue with the wool or the alpaca, or is it just the material is itchy in general?

I have a BR A-2, which has a different lining material, and I've never experienced this with it.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've also found the higher Alpaca content liners feels itchier. But they are surprisingly very warm.

For t shirt fits I would look for the ones where the pills looks more like sherpa, and I think these ones have higher wool content. Still warm, and good with tshirt.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've tried on the iron heart one and it feels itchier than my fully alpaca Freewheelers. I think the buzz ones are generally thought of as itchiest. But the iron heart sleeves might be most comfortable for you if you're sensitive as they're not lined with that sheeps wool/alpaca blend. I personally love feeling the fluffy alpaca on my arms, but you need to get good stuff for that to feel nice.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I was thinking of picking up a more fitted IH for a more T-shirt-only jacket, but I don't want to end up with two itchy N-1 Deck Jackets.

Is this an allergy issue with the wool or the alpaca, or is it just the material is itchy in general?

I have a BR A-2, which has a different lining material, and I've never experienced this with it.

Hmm, based on my experience, you will likely not find the IH much less itchy than the RMC.

I must say, that I find both not uncomfortable, but I do wear wool sweaters over just a TShirt while a lot of people find that unbearable as well.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I've had two Buzz Rickson ones and a RMC one - the 'standard' BR was the itchiest, the RMC less so, and my current BR 'Demotex' version, which has a much more heavyweight wool/alpaca lining than either, hardly at all.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
I have this seasons IH oiled ship cord N1. As Jake said, the sleeves being quilted might make for a less itchy feel for you.

I only really notice a slight bit of itchiness when I flip the collar up on really cold days. It’s an amazing jacket IMO.

BD3E490D-210E-4B0E-99C3-29FCD42E77F9.jpeg
B0AEE951-935F-4827-9BFD-EBFF1B97A2A3.jpeg

mumpy

A-List Customer
Freewheelers N1 here, 100% alpaca, also along the sleeves. Not itchy at all for me but that sometimes depends on the person too.

CatsCan

Practically Family
Somewhere I read that it is the sharp cut ends of hair that cause the itch. So maybe the grade of pilling has to do something with how itchy it is. When it is less curled, or the single hair is thicker and stiffer, bending less when touching our skin, more "sharp ends" can cut into your skin (not really but you get what is meant) and irritate.. Must be evolution that warns us, that there are small insects trying to attack us. And our brains make something of it and amplify the sensation on our skin. If this is true, than it depends on how fine the hair is, Alpaca from cold mountain areas could have thicker hair than those that are living in warmer climate. There are lots of people who have Alpacas here in Germany. There is a company that uses their wool for blankets, Teddy Bears and coat liners. It is said to be very soft an not itchy. It is even recommended for babies over here..

Last edited:

Goel

A-List Customer
Back when I had my Iron Heart N-1 I didn't find it very itchy, but it definitely wasn't as soft as some of the Alpaca socks I've worn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner