Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite type of Steak

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, you guys, you are making me hungry all over again -- and I just had steak and eggs for breakfast a couple of hours ago!

I like most any steak that is done to my liking -- rare, rare, will eat with baked potato and veggies, also like steak salads. I am partial to garlic and sometimes mushrooms on the steak. And a nice martini before hand or an amber bock or dark ale.

The best steak I ever had was a fat beautiful little filet minon at a restaurant in San Diego that no longer exists (the restaurant, not San Diego).

Some of your funny comments on rare steaks reminded me of a waiter at Spaghetti's restaurant here who said, when I told him I wanted my steak rare as long as it doesn't come in the door and moo at me, "Yes," he said, " I always tell them I just want it blow-dried."

karol

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Can't believe I didn't notice this thread before. Shoot!

Any-who, while there are a lot of great 'steak houses' in Los Angeles, there are only a few superior 'steak joints'! Two of my faves are open 24 hours too! The Pantry, downtown, grilled steak or chops with the best damn home fries ever and cole slaw that would make the Green Giant salivate. And then there's the famous Pacific Dining Car, also downtown, that serves the "Baseball Steak" and, boggling so, even BETTER home fries.

Alright, it's nine pm and raining and now here and I'm gonna' have to get in the car and drive. Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Edited to add: Oh, and my most favorite accompanying beverage ever? Frosty, frothy chocolate milk! Yeah. I know.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Zohar said:
I like a thick ribeye or porterhouse cooked in a cast iron skillet.

I usually prepare mine according to these directions.
http://degenerate.shackspace.com/Shack/steak.pdf

If you decide to follow them, be sure you have a good hood/vent. All that butter makes a ton of smoke.

I just cooked up a couple of steaks using these directions and have to say they were beautiful. Served them up with some Colman's hot mustard, a salad and loved it.

Many thanks for the link.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
You're welcome. The pdf was created by a chef that posts on another message board I frequent. He really knows what he's doing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Zohar said:
The pdf was created by a chef that posts on another message board I frequent. He really knows what he's doing.

Great recipe and this bears repeating:

Zohar said:
If you decide to follow them, be sure you have a good hood/vent. All that butter makes a ton of smoke.
I'd want at least a 1200 CFM rated exhaust.

hipster

New in Town
Dal Rae in Pico Rivera is an old school restaurant. It's located across from the old northrop building in LA and all the execs. would dine.

My Uncle started going there back in the early 70's.

Anyway, Steak Diane is the bomb. Its to long to describe, but any SoCal members that have been know what Im talking about.
I'll be there Friday night,

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, my family has raised cattle for generations. Short Horn for years, Herford, and now mixed Black White Face. So, I grew up eating T-Bones and Sirloin. Love them.

But, we never had Filet Mignon is probably my absolute favorite.. Nice and thick, cooked over a hot flame, black on the outside, and nice and red and juicy on the inside.

Now I am hungry..

A good Micro-Brewed Beer (I used to enjoy Cabernet, but my Rosacia really acts up withi it so I have to pass on it now).

DerMann

Practically Family
I wouldn't say that I like my steaks cooked, so much as I like them passed through a warm room...

Beef Wellington is the most perfect food created by man.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Filet Mignon or my Grandma's Swiss Steak- one I may enjoy whenever I choose, the other I can no longer enjoy because Grandma passed many years ago, and unfortunately, even though many have tried, no one does it like Grandma...

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I am a true carnivore, and I loooooove steaks. I like it cooked in so many ways, but to let a slice of brie melt on the top of a steak and serve it with port jello or red currant jello is a favourite.

A nice filet mignon is never wrong, but I actually prefer the entrecote. It is just tender enough when it's a good piece, (I don't like it when the meat is as tender as patè, I like something to chew on,) and the taste is marvelous. I could never be a vegetarian!

Sylvester D

Familiar Face
I'm glad that we have begun a great discussion.

Here is a twist

What is the best way to cook a steak.

Brolier, gas grill, or charcoal. I have always used a gas grill and brolier, but i bought a small weber grill & tried cooking steak on it. I thought it was fantastic.

Any thoughts?

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
Sylvester D said:
I'm glad that we have begun a great discussion.

Here is a twist

What is the best way to cook a steak.

Brolier, gas grill, or charcoal. I have always used a gas grill and brolier, but i bought a small weber grill & tried cooking steak on it. I thought it was fantastic.

Any thoughts?

Cast Iron Skillet

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Like Zohar I love steak cooked on a skillet but my absolute favourite has to be on a charcoal barbie. No fancy sauces either, just a bit of Colman's hot English mustard on the side, perfection!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn