Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Vintage Perfumes

Tourbillion

Practically Family
White Shoulders is 1945. It used to be available in every drug store in the country for a good price, but it may be declining in popularity. You should be able to get it at Wal-Mart still.

It is pretty nice for the price as I recall, I think many of you would like it, though I haven't smelled it in years.

It seems that Elizabeth Arden has bought rights to it from Evyan. ??

Avalon

A-List Customer
Viola said:
How old is White Shoulders? I know its not exactly Jicky in terms of tier, but I'm asking because my mom wore it for her wedding and I am pondering tracking it down and wearing it for mine as a spin on "something borrowed" - I don't even know what it is supposed to smell like, yet, (going to look it up on Google) but my mom got all misty when I said I'd try it.

I don't think its supposed to be too hard to find, but then, I haven't tried yet. :eek:

I saw it in Big Lots, Kmart and most of the other discount stores/drugstores I went to over the December holidays. You should be able to find it still! I've never smelled it, but it's described as honeysuckle.

What a lovely idea for your wedding. :)

texasgirl

One Too Many
I think that's a lovely idea! My mom wore White Shoulders when I was growing up. One of those smells that definitely takes me back to my childhood. :)

appy

Familiar Face
I'm a perfume ADDICT, but (sadly) haven't had much experience with vintage perfumes... I do love Chanel No 5, but it's so expensive to keep on hand. I used to wear Chantilly when I was younger. I had a bottle a couple years ago, and I liked it still, but it's not exactly my favourite any more. I want to get a bottle of either Bellodgia or Arpege next month, but I'm not sure which to get. I don't like perfumes that are too heavy. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
White Shoulders! That does bring back memories... my gram still wears it on special occasions, and she's had a bottle in her bathroom for as long as I can remember. The scent will remind me of her for as long as I live :) I wish I could dig up her high school portrait - she graduated in '48 and was a knock out!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
On a similarly cheap note...

I have found small bottles of at least two Dana classics at the 99 cent store.

Perfect price point for trying them out and/or wearing them just to vintage events...

Toujours Moi: DESIGN HOUSE - Dana
YEAR INTRODUCED - 1921
FRAGRANCE NOTES - sandalwood and vetiver, with a floral touch and musky undertones.

Tabu: DESIGN HOUSE - Dana
YEAR INTRODUCED - 1932
FRAGRANCE NOTES - rich rose, orange blossom, jasmine, vetiver, oakmoss, amber and musk.
RECOMMENDED USE - romantic

Admittedly Tabu is not everyones cup of tea...but used -sparingly- its quite nice..(on me it is at least)

and for 99 cents....its worth trying...

and on that same note...fragrancenet.com is super for giving dates of introduction of perfumes and is thus perfect for the 'when did my favorite come out' research...

Tourbillion

Practically Family
appy said:
I'm a perfume ADDICT, but (sadly) haven't had much experience with vintage perfumes... I do love Chanel No 5, but it's so expensive to keep on hand. I used to wear Chantilly when I was younger. I had a bottle a couple years ago, and I liked it still, but it's not exactly my favourite any more. I want to get a bottle of either Bellodgia or Arpege next month, but I'm not sure which to get. I don't like perfumes that are too heavy. Any thoughts? Thanks!

I like heavy scents at times, yet vanilla, carnation, clove and cinnamon are not light, and those are the notes in Bellodogia. The scent is nice, and soft, but a little heavy to me, but then I am not a huge fan of carnation perfumes. My huge bottle of Carnation toilet water has been sitting there for years. You might do better with this than me, since you like Chantilly. Still, I would sample this one before buying it if you since you aren't in to heavier scents.

I've heard Arpege described as dark too, but I don't really find it too heavy because of the aldehyde notes. I just now sprayed my vintage Arpege on my wrists, and it is stronger than I remember, but then this bottle is 20+ years old (but still light yellow in color). Since you like No. 5 you might like Arpege too, but it is definitely not to modern tastes.

I would like to get the modern Eclat de Arpege for summer myself, even though I usually wear vintage perfumes.

Edit: there are two Vent Verts, one 1947, and re-orchestrated in 1990. I guess I tried the 1990 version.

Plus I agree with Neecerie, Tabu is a good perfume for the money, but a little strong, dab lightly.

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
White Shoulders. my gram kept it on her dressing table along with the powder & puff. ahh the memories!

I bought a bottle last fall after years...... and the memories it brings back ;)

isn't it amazing how our sense of smell is powerful enough to evoke memories? on the other hand I must confess, there are fragrances that I dare not smell for they would bring on VERY :( painful memories.

appy

Familiar Face
Tourbillion said:
I like heavy scents at times, yet vanilla, carnation, clove and cinnamon are not light, and those are the notes in Bellodogia. The scent is nice, and soft, but a little heavy to me, but then I am not a huge fan of carnation perfumes. My huge bottle of Carnation toilet water has been sitting there for years. You might do better with this than me, since you like Chantilly. Still, I would sample this one before buying it if you since you aren't in to heavier scents.

I've heard Arpege described as dark too, but I don't really find it too heavy because of the aldehyde notes. I just now sprayed my vintage Arpege on my wrists, and it is stronger than I remember, but then this bottle is 20+ years old (but still light yellow in color). Since you like No. 5 you might like Arpege too, but it is definitely not to modern tastes.

I would like to get the modern Eclat de Arpege for summer myself, even though I usually wear vintage perfumes.

Edit: there are two Vent Verts, one 1947, and re-orchestrated in 1990. I guess I tried the 1990 version.

Plus I agree with Neecerie, Tabu is a good perfume for the money, but a little strong, dab lightly.

Thanks, that gives me a lot of insight... yet, I must admit I'm still torn between the two! lol

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Tourbillion said:
Toubillion, I'd admire your knowledge! You should work as a Nose at one of the fine perfume labels (if you don't already)! I love the term re-orchestrated. I know they're not exactly the same, but how different are two perfumes allowed to be that bear the same name? In terms of top/middle/base notes?

appy

Familiar Face
After discussing it further with him, my fiancé insists I try the Arpege, so that's the one I will purchase. I certainly hope it's worth it to both of us! :D

Tourbillion

Practically Family
cherry lips said:
Toubillion, I'd admire your knowledge! You should work as a Nose at one of the fine perfume labels (if you don't already)! I love the term re-orchestrated. I know they're not exactly the same, but how different are two perfumes allowed to be that bear the same name? In terms of top/middle/base notes?

Thanks, but a real nose would know a lot more than me...

Usually the same company owns the rights to the name, so they can change the formula if they want to. Unfortunately, they often change the formula so it will be cheaper, and the result smells cheaper too. I did like the new Vert Vent though, I am not sure about the original. I suppose it could have been better, but it may be a while before I track down the original.

However, there was a change in the laws in the EU that means that many perfumes have to change their formulas because of allergens. This may be good for those who suffer allergies, but it sucks for everyone else. I'd prefer a warning label instead.

appy

Familiar Face
Just as a reference...

I compiled a list of many vintage fragrances which are still available for purchase:

Caron
Narcisse Noir (1911)
Nuit de Noel (1922)
Bellodgia (1927)
Pois de Senteur de Chez Moi (1927)
Fleur de Rocaille (1933)
Muget du Bonheur (1952)

Chanel
No. 5 (1921)
No. 22 (1922 - official site says 1925, but it might be a typeo)
Cuir de Russie (1925)
Gardenia (1925)
Bois des Iles (1926)

Coty
Emeraude (1921)

Dana
Toujours Moi (1921)
Tabu (1932)
Chantilly (1941)
Ambush (1955)

Estee Lauder
Youth Dew (1952)
Estee (1968)

Guerlain
Jicky (1889)
Mitsouko (1919)
Shalimar (1925)
Vol de Nuit (1933)
Chant D'Aromes (1962)

Lanvin
Arpege (1927)

Nina Ricci
L'Air du Temps (1948)

Patou
Joy (1930)

Revlon
Jean Nate (1935)

I... have two obsessions: perfume and red lipstick. lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
I have found small bottles of at least two Dana classics at the 99 cent store.

Tabu: DESIGN HOUSE - Dana
YEAR INTRODUCED - 1932
FRAGRANCE NOTES - rich rose, orange blossom, jasmine, vetiver, oakmoss, amber and musk.
RECOMMENDED USE - romantic

Admittedly Tabu is not everyones cup of tea...but used -sparingly- its quite nice..(on me it is at least)

My sister used to wear tabu in the 90's. Was helping her move and a big bottle of it dropped and broke right at my feet. Since then the smell of it makes me sick bleck.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Antje said:
I found a site where they sell blue waltz perfume,
does anyone know anything about it?
I'm curious about it, because it is an old one

http://www.pomade-shop.eu/epages/61591627.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61591627/Products/38001

There are reviews of it on basenotes.net here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211920.html

It seems to be sweet, vanilla and powdery. It used to be sold at Woolworth's 5 and dime in the USA.

Basenotes is my secret source for information on perfumes. Appy would probably love the discussion forum too. I especially like the search by year function.

appy

Familiar Face
Tourbillion said:
There are reviews of it on basenotes.net here: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10211920.html

It seems to be sweet, vanilla and powdery. It used to be sold at Woolworth's 5 and dime in the USA.

Basenotes is my secret source for information on perfumes. Appy would probably love the discussion forum too. I especially like the search by year function.

Yup! lol I double-checked a lot of my info. for my list there. I also go to perfume.com, which lists what celebs like to wear.

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Just a heads up....a fantastic fragrance from Caswell Massey is back on the market- CASMA!

Casma_perf_web.jpg

It was one of Carole Lombard's favorite scents!

A mix of rose, jasmine and magnolia touched with vanilla and silken musk blended to create a sophisticated and feminine scent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy