Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Vintage Perfumes

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I love the Shalimar bottle because it's so vintage looking. Unfortunately, the perfume itself ends up smelling like something akin to Lemon Pledge on me. However, anyone who can't wear Shalimar may find they can wear the new Shalimar Parfum Initial. I was leary of it because the juice is pink, which made me think fruity-floral, but I absolutely loved it when I tried it on. I can smell the undertones of the original Shalimar in it, but now there's only a hint of the lemon that used to turn it to furniture polish for me, and it's simply gorgeous. I bought the biggest bottle they offer because I so loved it.

Shalimar Parfum Initial is on my wish list!

Currently I switch between Diorissimo, Stella by Stella McCartney and Petite Cherie by Annick Goutal.

I really want a new perfume although I have quite a collection!

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
I was thinking of getting Chanel No. 5 - only problem is that smell reminds me so much of my grandmother who always wore it. The things she left me, like her jewellery box, all smell of it. It's cosy in a way of course, but then it's hard to feel smexy when you smell like your gran!

It's not vintage, but I also like Miss Dior Chérie. I'm telling myself that at least they're trying to sell it using ads that clearly try to look very sixties, so it can't be entirely inappropriate!

You might want to give Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere a try if you like No. 5 but think of it as being your grandmother's scent. While there are undertones of No. 5 in it, it doesn't smell "grandmotherly" to me.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I'm currently loving L'heure Bleu by Guerlain. I actually found an old-ish bottle at a flea market and the contents hadn't gone off. If anyone knows where i can buy it online i would be very grateful, as it's not stocked over here in the shops anymore. It's rather a heavy scent, so i tend to wear it in the evenings mostly.

My new signature scent however and the one i receive compliments for every time i wear it is Ligea, by Carthusia. It's made on the Isle of Capri. I'm almost getting bored at people stopping me to comment on how nice it smells, (not meaning to sound princessy...). It has a very obvious, citronella/geranium/herb-y top note, but it's also rather amber-y/musky when that wears off. It's a delight, i can't recommend it enough. It's a better quality version of Dolce and Gabbana Sicily, which was one i liked, although i can't find that anymore either. I quite like perfumes that evoke a destination, Serge Lutens is good at doing that with his scents. Having been to Capri, it definately evoked all those lovely smells that you get on a warm summers evening.

Last edited:

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
I like Guerlain Shalimar and L'Heure Bleue for vintage fragrances. They also remind me of someone when I was small, but I simply cannot remember who.

Flicka

One Too Many
You might want to give Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere a try if you like No. 5 but think of it as being your grandmother's scent. While there are undertones of No. 5 in it, it doesn't smell "grandmotherly" to me.

Oh, I haven't tried that! Great suggestion. Thank you!

Isis

One of the Regulars
I was thinking of getting Chanel No. 5 - only problem is that smell reminds me so much of my grandmother who always wore it. The things she left me, like her jewellery box, all smell of it. It's cosy in a way of course, but then it's hard to feel smexy when you smell like your gran!

I can relate to that. I have forgotten the name, but my paternal grandmother used a perfume with a lot of patchouli in. She smelled very nice, but I find patchouli-perfumes very hard to wear because I so easily feel "old lady" in them. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Same here, my Mum and my Granny wore Joy, so if i smell Jasmine it reminds of them. So i tend not to go for anything that smells similar, (especially if i'm going in for the kill!! I'd be seeing my Mums face, gaaaaah)!

Bluebird Marsha

A-List Customer
Miss Sofia, I don't know if Sephora is in the UK, or what their shipping charges are- but they do have l'Heure Bleue available online. One word of semi-caution. I don't know how old that bottle of vintage lHB was, but it has been reformulated over the years. There's a chance the new stuff will smell somewhat different. Not worse, but different.

Fortunately for me, the only scent my grandmother wore was Tabu. There's no chance that I'll ever want to wear that one! I have been accused of smelling grandmotherly, but only by a callow, t-shirt, UGG wearing visigoth. I was kind to her and thanked her, because MY grandmother smelled good.

Did hers stink?

I know I've plugged them before, but I'm going to do so again. For ideas of what perfume to try, take a look at Now Smell This http://http://www.nstperfume.com. It's a great resource for fragrance. For trying stuff out without committing to a full bottle, take a look at The Perfumed Court http://theperfumedcourt.com/. They are a site for selling samples of various perfumes. You can usually select the size of what you want. I'd like to strongly recommend the Amouage line of perfumes. It's not a vintage perfume, unless you consider that quality of ingredients counts! But it is an amazing line. With a hefty price tag :) But not completely outrageous compared to some other brands.

Not exactly vintage, but tonight during my weekend shopping expedition (is it sad when the salesman at my wine store asks me what I bought, because he KNOWS I just finished shopping tonight :) ) I picked up a bottle of Chanel's Cristalle EdT. I ran out of #19, which I don't think most stores carry. 19 has been my Scent of the Day, and I needed something I really liked, but wouldn't bother my cube farm mates. Although truth be told, it's not like I don't have plenty of other fragrance. But a girl always needs a new bottle of Chanel! And there was a hat. God bless bless Nordstrom!

Last edited:

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Thanks Bluebird Marsha! There is actually a Sephora near my Mum, so i'm going to send her round for a peek, if not i'll order online.

I can't recommend The Perfumed Court enough either. I remember reading your earlier post about it and i ordered some of The Serge Lutens samples. The sample sizes were very generous and the service was excellent. Thanks love! x

countrybumpkin

New in Town
I love jimmy choo! Expensive but well worth the price, It has a warm sweet caramel smell and lasts for ages for me works best when you spray it in your hair dont know why but smells different compared to when you spray it in the norm places. Also planning to buy coco madmoseille (excuse the spelling) fairly similar but more fresh and light.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I can't recommend The Perfumed Court enough either. I remember reading your earlier post about it and i ordered some of The Serge Lutens samples. The sample sizes were very generous and the service was excellent. Thanks love! x

I think they are brilliant too - it's great to try a scent on a few times before committing to it. I just ordered a sample of Penhaligon's latest - Juniper Sling - I love the Art Deco style box and had a quick spritz in the department store but want to try it a few more times to see if it's "me" or not!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think they are brilliant too - it's great to try a scent on a few times before committing to it. I just ordered a sample of Penhaligon's latest - Juniper Sling - I love the Art Deco style box and had a quick spritz in the department store but want to try it a few more times to see if it's "me" or not!

OOh please let me know how you get on with it. I have seen people singing its praises on various blogs. I wasn't sure whether i loved or loathed the idea of smelling like my favourite drink!

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Will do Miss Sofia! I really liked it initially but need to run it around the block a few times before deciding!!!!!! I'm not a gin drinker and in fact I had my first - a Tom Collins - on Christmas Day - I must say I really liked it!

ah ha, Thanks very much so many to choose!! :) Is delivery from america is efficient?

Yes - it takes usually around two weeks or thereabouts for it to arrive in Ireland which isn't bad at all. Their range is excellent - I got to try so many vintage samples that I wouldn't have had the opportunity to try otherwise.

And I really love their little sprays - great for popping into your handbag for an evening out!

Caroline H

Familiar Face
I'm afraid reading this thread has started a bit of an obsession for me! :eek: I now want to try out all the vintage fragrances I can get my hands on! I already own L'Heure Bleue and have loved it for years. I found Nuit de Noel (1922) online from Nordstrom right before Christmas and love it! Now I have samples of Jicky and Tabac Blond from The Perfumed Court to try out. Thank you ladies so much for recommending The Perfumed Court! I'm looking forward to working my way through the list! :dance:

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
OOh please let me know how you get on with it. I have seen people singing its praises on various blogs. I wasn't sure whether i loved or loathed the idea of smelling like my favourite drink!

Well Miss S - I love it! It's got a kind of peppery quality - quite unisex (in fact I think it may be) and my husband loved it - according to Basenotes here is it's composition:

Top Notes
Cinnamon, Orange Brandy, Angelica, Juniper Berry

Middle Notes
Cardamom, Leather, Black Pepper, Orris Wood

Base Notes
Brown Sugar, Black Cherry, Vetiver, Ambrox

I was wondering if it would fade quickly but it didn't - I think a bottle of this lovely scent is definitely on my wishlist!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
OOOH! Lookie what I found at an estate sale this morning! $4! (I don't mean to brag, but really...where else am I going to be able to show it off? :) )

estatesalequestions006675x9002.jpg

estatesalequestions005900x675.jpg

Anyone have any idea when this dates to? I can't find any this old online! I confess I am wearing a dab on my wrist right now, and it smells so lovely. Squee!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui