Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Vintage Perfumes

Some lovely perfume advertisements here

185701304_052555591d.jpg

http://oldadvertising.blogspot.com.au/2010/09/guerlain-1937.html

Last edited:

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Thank you Oh lala! I wish I could understand that blog post! It looks fascinating!! Hmmm... 300 euro? That's something! Meanwhile, I'm going back to look at the pictures again...those I can understand!

And welcome to the Lounge!

Oh lala!

New in Town
Thanks! And you're welcome.

Yes, 300 euro is really expensive, it is around $400 so 100 times more than the price you paid.

You can use Google Translation to translate the website, it is not perfect but I think you could understand the major part.

Sorry for my poor English level, I hope I'll improve.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
Just received my samples from the Perfumed Court - thanks all for the suggestion !! I ordered L'Interdit (Givenchy), Jicky (guerlain), L'Air du Temps ( Nina Ricci) Shalimar( Guerlain) and Joy ( Patou). I opened them up, tried on L'Interdit and loved it and then as soon as my mum came in she noticed and told me that she wore it when she was in her 20s and that her housemate had worn L'Air du Temps ! Naturally, I love it even more now !

Kishtu

Practically Family
My dad used to buy "Joy" for my mum (when it was "the most expensive perfume in the world"... evidently it's not any more!!) - her name is Joy, so it was a very romantic thing to do at the time.
She normally wears "Je Reviens" now though :rolleyes:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Just received my samples from the Perfumed Court - thanks all for the suggestion !! I ordered L'Interdit (Givenchy), Jicky (guerlain), L'Air du Temps ( Nina Ricci) Shalimar( Guerlain) and Joy ( Patou). I opened them up, tried on L'Interdit and loved it and then as soon as my mum came in she noticed and told me that she wore it when she was in her 20s and that her housemate had worn L'Air du Temps ! Naturally, I love it even more now !

I hope your sample of L'Interdit was more generous than the one I received! There was literally a dribble at the end of the sample bottle - I know it's the original one and there might not be much left of it knocking around but I would have appreciated if they had told me before sending it to me. Still I really liked the dribble that I had - the only thing is now you can't get that particular formulation anymore which is a shame - it's so lovely and feminine.

Lenore

Practically Family
I'm in the process of trying out perfumes for my own signature scent. I used to wear #5, but my skin chemistry has changed and it smells wrong to me now. I've been wearing Shalimar the past few days, and I love the dry down, however, the initial application leaves something to be desired.

I'm considering getting a few samples of vintage perfumes so that I can test them out... I suppose I should go through this thread and make a wishlist!

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
I love Guerlain L'Heure Bleue, but try to only get vintage bottles as the formula has changed a bit over the years.
Fun Fact; It was Charlie Chaplin's favourite scent on a woman :D

Isis

One of the Regulars
I'm in the process of trying out perfumes for my own signature scent. I used to wear #5, but my skin chemistry has changed and it smells wrong to me now. I've been wearing Shalimar the past few days, and I love the dry down, however, the initial application leaves something to be desired.

I'm considering getting a few samples of vintage perfumes so that I can test them out... I suppose I should go through this thread and make a wishlist!

It's great fun to try out different ones, but it's an expensive hobby. Broke my heart on vintage Tabac Blond- sooo lovely and way too expensive.

Lenore

Practically Family
Thanks to this thread I've discovered The Perfumed Court.. I see much money being spent there in the near future. I love that they have collections from various decades...

stephenjones

New in Town
I always like to use vintage and old perfumes and some of my favourite vintage perfumes are The beat, Gabilla, Another, Sonoma scent studio, The chanel, The brut, Armani Code, Polo and calvin klein.

pineapplefruitcake

One of the Regulars
A few days after I received the samples I was in the shopping centre and thought that I'd see if anyone had L'Interdit so I could see (smell) the difference. Nowhere I went to had ever even heard of it! A lady at David Jones though told me to go to the pharmacy though as they had a representative there - she had one bottle left of the Les Mythiques version and I know that it's very controversial but honestly to me it smells very similar to the original - only this one has a MUCH better staying power on me ( again - I know a lot of people would disagree with me). Unfortunately, the lovely lady at the counter told me that this has now been discontinued as well so they can't reorder it again - but I did get 20 percent off so...woohoo :) I also have Miss Dior Cherie but I find that can be a little cloying and strong and it tends to give me a headache after a while. I think L'Interdit may become my "signature scent" now since it's lovely to wear during the day or night :)

Maudelynn - what a charming fact! I love little bits of information like that :)

Lenore

Practically Family
My daughter just ran in here smelling of l'origan.... apparently, my four year old decided to douse herself in Airspun powder... and strangly, the smell suits her in a strange way...

katiesparkles

One of the Regulars
I just picked up a bottle of 4711. Can't wait to try it!

How do you like it? :) This scent reminds me of my grandmother so much, growing up she always had a bottle of 4711 in her house. I actually need to see if I can get a bottle myself somewhere. Yay!

Reading this thread, I also feel like kicking myself in the butt. I went to an antique mall today and the minute I was about to leave I spied a full-sized Miss Dior, about 3/4 full. I don't exactly remember the price, I think it was around $10. Already had so much put back for me that I couldn't justify buying another piece but... sigh :( Maybe next month.

Last edited:

KristinaLynne

New in Town
This is my first post here, and it's appropriate that this thread is the one I post on. My boyfriend and I are avid vintage perfume collectors. Some of my favorites are old Guerlain fragrances, such as Shalimar, L'heure Bleue, Mitsouko, and the not quite as old Samsara. We recently had the most amazing luck and found vintage bottles of each of these for 10 dollars each! Obviously the seller had no idea what she was doing and we ended up saving about 500 dollars more than what they're worth! I even got an old, unopened dusting powder of Shalimar! The vintage versions of all of these are significantly better than the current versions. Unfortunately, the FDA has caused a lot of beautiful fragrances to have ingredients cut from the formulas, such as oakmoss and other very distinct notes, and are replaced by the terribly synthetic impostors.
I really love any spicy oriental, especially from the 60s. YSL's Opium is probably my signature scent, if I am not already wearing Mitsouko, that is!

Flicka

One Too Many
Just got my first vintage Shalimar sample. Wow. Now I understand what the fuss is about. It's everything I've ever wanted in a perfume. Absolutely lovely. Must get bigger sample!

zombi

A-List Customer
After some heavy research on where the heck to find some Miss Dior that isn't that horrid reformulated version, I discovered that what's bought in France at a Dior boutique still smells quite similar to the original. Lucky for me my dear friend went to France on leave and was able to score me a bottle. What a divine chypre!

I compared what I have to what is sold as "Miss Dior" in my state in the USA, and I have to say they smell nothing alike. The American "Miss Dior" smells like Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, almost. The French Miss Dior is a deep, dark, woody chypre -- very beautiful.

Have yet to get my mitts on some Vol de Nuit. I'm slating a trip to the Guerlain boutique during my Vegas vacation coming up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points