Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favourite Horror Flick?

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Shearer said:
Does anyone like Giallo films? Or Dario Argento... although he kinda strays out of Giallo at times.

Phenomena and Suspiria are a couple of his more American-friendly films, but I quite like Deep Red and Tenebre.

OH YES!!!

I can honestly say Argento changed my entire viewing habit. I caught a bit of Suspiria on one of those Stephen King's World Of Horror and it had me hooked. However, even as a big fan, his films can be pretty weak (eg The Card Player). Whilst Suspiria is the one people know of I can strongly recommend Inferno. Personally I think this is wilder and possibly the most beautifully shot film ever.

Deep Red is the best whodunnit I can think of.

I've only managed to see one of his films on the big screen and that was Tenebre. Initially I hated this film, but after reading up on it I realised how careful the plot is laid out.

He's currently making the third of the three mothers films. The first two being Suspiria and Inferno.

The way you walk....

"The way you walk was thorny through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over. Now you will find peace for eternity."

The Wolfman

Feraud

Bartender
John in Covina said:
"The way you walk was thorny through no fault of your own, but as the rain enters the soil the river enters the sea, so tears run to a predestined end. Your suffering is over. Now you will find peace for eternity."

The Wolfman
A great one!

Shearer

Practically Family
Mario Bava's forever in my Netflix queue as well, but I have to be in a certain type of mood to watch these films.

It's so funny you mentioned that Stephen King movie. I remember being a really little girl and watching that (I bet my parents regret the free reign they gave me when it came to movie watching lol ) and seeing the clip they had of Suspiria of the woman crashing through the glass ceiling. I didn't see it until years later, but I always remembered that.

If you haven't seen Phenomena you might like it. It has one of my favourite movie beginnings, but the rest of it is pretty tame until the very end. And oddly, it stars Jennifer Connelly.

Trampilot said:
OH YES!!!

I can honestly say Argento changed my entire viewing habit. I caught a bit of Suspiria on one of those Stephen King's World Of Horror and it had me hooked. However, even as a big fan, his films can be pretty weak (eg The Card Player). Whilst Suspiria is the one people know of I can strongly recommend Inferno. Personally I think this is wilder and possibly the most beautifully shot film ever.

Deep Red is the best whodunnit I can think of.

I've only managed to see one of his films on the big screen and that was Tenebre. Initially I hated this film, but after reading up on it I realised how careful the plot is laid out.

He's currently making the third of the three mothers films. The first two being Suspiria and Inferno.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Now this is a conversation I can get into. Not in order of preference:

1. Blair Witch Project. I saw it when it came out with my girlfriend at the time, M. As we walked to the theater, we noticed a newspaper machine. The newspaper's headline was about the Argentinian girl with an Italian surname who, with her host mom and host sister in the US, had been killed by someone and put into their trunk when they were camping at Yosemite. Horribly sad, and made us more freaked out for a movie about campers in the forest and the thing they faced. After we got back to my house, very very scared, we got into bed. Just as we were falling asleep, a dry leaf fell off my potted ficus benjaminitis tree. M. sat up in bad and said, 'WHAT WAS THAT?"
An imp of the perverse forced me to lean into her ear and whisper in a strange stretched out voice, "It's ... the ... skinny man. He lives ... in ... the ... walls." (I have no idea who "the skinny man" is -- I just pulled it out of my hat.) M. was terribly scared and we had to turn on the lights and I had to talk her down for fifteen minutes. I myself was scared for days and had to make sure my windows were locked for about a week. Then years later I tried to rent it and it didn't impress me at all. The sequel was OK I suppose; no one liked it and it almost ruined Lion's Gate, I heard.

2. Audition. This is truly freakish and features mutilation while alive, which is one of the primal fears. It is Japanese, quite clever. A mild-mannered divorced man wants to find a girlfriend and his friend who works in the TV commercial industry suggests that a fake audition for a fake commercial be set up and the divorced man can choose from the auditionees whichever girl he wants to ask out on a date. Naturally the girl is tweaked but exactly how tweaked she is cannot be fathomed. This is a truly frightening film.

3. The original Vanishing, which I believe was Dutch. A mathematician, a pair of young lovers on a little vacation, and a disappearance. No gore at all (if I remember right) but very very disturbing.

4. Hostel. This guy saw Audition and the Vanishing, clearly, and wanted to pay them homage as well as many other things I haven't seen. I cannot reveal the plot except to say it is quite original and I have never seen nor heard of a film with this idea. Great deal of Grand Guignol type torture and dismemberment-while-alive. I showed a version to my wife with the sick things fastforwarded and she STILL thought it was really good. I sent her a text message saying "I go home" yesterday (a text message seen in the film from someone facing a grim end) and she texted back "Sick fk" remembering the reference although we had not seen it since it first came out on DVD. So it made an impression on her.

5. The Ring. Am I the only person to favor the American version? I liked the Japanese version, but the American did more for me. The blurry faces of those soon to die in the photographs was horribly sickening as was the face of the girl in the closet, dead from fright, which I had to freeze frame and watch still by still. yuck.

6. Not too scary but awesome and greatly suitable for Loungers: the 2006 Call of Cthulhu, a modern movie made to look old (see thread of that title), silent with music and dialogue cards, very charmingly done, basically an elaborate student film. Nice lighting too. Great scene of nude cultists dancing in the torchlight. Based on Lovecraft, my favorite horror writer and a denizen of our favorite era, a fellow with a huger imagination than any other twenty novelists.

7. Red Dragon was pretty well done! So was Hannibal. So was Silence of the Lambs. I have also watched Manhunter, which was the super-1980s earlier version of Red Dragon with a different actor (not Anthony Hopkins) as Hannibal "Lecktor." Pretty good, and amusingly Miami Vice in its look for a horror movie, as would be expected since Michael Mann directed it. However, Red Dragon's cast of Edward Norton, Anthony Hopkins, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Ralph Fiennes could not help but to be superior to it. But Manhunter possesses the distinction of being the only horror/suspense type movie I know of that has the Miami Vice style all throughout, and as that style was very influential in the 80s, the movie is a valuable curiosum.

8. Alien.

9. 28 Days Later.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Doran said:
8. Alien.

Alien is one of my favorite movies altogether. Favorite Science Fiction movie for sure. Ridley Scott really knows how to direct atmosphere. Blade Runner was no different, but Alien, is, at its base, a horror flick. I think it is so good that it transcends the genre, but it definitely deserves a horror top ten list.

drjones

A-List Customer
personal choice for thriller/horror

i would say for myself that The Shining is at the top of my thriller/horror list. (The original...not the remake). Of course ANY of the Universal monster films of the 30s (Im addicted to these!).

DRJONES

Decodence

A-List Customer
Theological horrors are my schtick.

Exorcist (although they seem to get worse with each sequel/prequel)
Omen (Same as above, but the sequel wasn't terrible, although the remake of the original, and the 3rd and 4th installment sucked)
Amityville (sequels and remake sucked)
Fallen
Lost Souls
Stigmata

Probably a few I am forgetting, but my collection of theological horrors is pretty much without any missing from the genre, but most aren't up to par.

drjones

A-List Customer
missing

Decodence said:
Theological horrors are my schtick.

Exorcist (although they seem to get worse with each sequel/prequel)
Omen (Same as above, but the sequel wasn't terrible, although the remake of the original, and the 3rd and 4th installment sucked)
Amityville (sequels and remake sucked)
Fallen
Lost Souls
Stigmata

Probably a few I am forgetting, but my collection of theological horrors is pretty much without any missing from the genre, but most aren't up to par.

what? no The Prophecy?

DRJONES

Decodence

A-List Customer
drjones said:
what? no The Prophecy?

DRJONES
Own them all, with Christopher Walkin, but they just don't seem to do it for me. I'll snap a pic of my theological horror drawer if I remember.

edit:

I forgot Ninth Gate, which I loved, and which places me in a very tiny minority.

drjones

A-List Customer
me too

Decodence said:
Own them all, with Christopher Walkin, but they just don't seem to do it for me. I'll snap a pic of my theological horror drawer if I remember.

edit:

I forgot Ninth Gate, which I loved, and which places me in a very tiny minority.

Im DEFINATELY in the minority with you there. I want VERY badly to read the book....havent yet.

DRJONES

Decodence

A-List Customer
drjones said:
Im DEFINATELY in the minority with you there. I want VERY badly to read the book....havent yet.

DRJONES
Club Dumas is on my list after I finish my other two books out from the library right now. It seems I constantly have between 2 and 5 out, trying to read them all simultaneously.

Decodence

A-List Customer
DSC_6496%20(Large).JPG

Underworld Evolution (in wrong drawer as not theological horror)
An American Haunting (borderline)
Shadow Builder
The Order (had so much potential)
End of Days
STigmata
Rosemary's Baby
The Calling
The Seventh Sign
The Prophecy 3
The Prophecy
Exorcist the Beginning
Prophecy 2
The Omen (the remake)
The Exorcism of Emily Rose (disappointment)
The Amityville Horror (remake)
The Ninth Gate
Bless the Child
The Omen
Omen 2 Damien
Omen 3
Omen 4
Amityville Horror
Amityville Confidential
Amityville 3-D
Amityville 2: The Posession
Constantine
Revelations 1
Revelations 2
Devil's Advocate (another of my favorites I forgot about)
Lost Souls
The Exorcist (original)
Exorcist 2: The Heretic
The Exorcist 3

Daughter's Nursery Rhymes (they are true horrors)

Only thing I can really think of I am missing is
Fallen
The Reaping

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Did anyone see "Shadow of the Vampire" with Willem Defoe? It was a flick about the filming of "Nosforatu". It was very good in my opinion.

Panache

A-List Customer
When I think horror movies I think of classic movies designed to give chills and not invoke disgust.

The Haunting Robert Wise's amazing version of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.

Night of the Demon Jacques Tournier's wonderful, though sadly flawed tale about the line between superstition and the supernatural. Was his producer to blame for the riduculous Demon footage? We will never know)

The Thing from another World Dialogue that crackles, people acting smart and together just like the folks that won the big one did. Christen Nyby obviously learned a bit from Howard Hawks as this film has all the good attributes of a Howard Hawks film

Them! Well made, intelligent script, with smart characters and good actors

The Creature form the Black Lagoon H.P. Lovecraft would have had to have smiled at the the titular creature. An effective thriller

The Wolfman Great Script and well filmed

THe Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye) OK a guilty pleasure, but the story is actually good and the acting not bad at all. The scene with Brett's living dead "return" is quite effective. Sadly the monsters once revealed are delightfully funny

Cheers

Jamie

drjones

A-List Customer
taste and refinement

Panache said:
When I think horror movies I think of classic movies designed to give chills and not invoke disgust.

The Haunting Robert Wise's amazing version of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House.

Night of the Demon Jacques Tournier's wonderful, though sadly flawed tale about the line between superstition and the supernatural. Was his producer to blame for the riduculous Demon footage? We will never know)

The Thing from another World Dialogue that crackles, people acting smart and together just like the folks that won the big one did. Christen Nyby obviously learned a bit from Howard Hawks as this film has all the good attributes of a Howard Hawks film

Them! Well made, intelligent script, with smart characters and good actors

The Creature form the Black Lagoon H.P. Lovecraft would have had to have smiled at the the titular creature. An effective thriller

The Wolfman Great Script and well filmed

THe Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye) OK a guilty pleasure, but the story is actually good and the acting not bad at all. The scene with Brett's living dead "return" is quite effective. Sadly the monsters once revealed are delightfully funny

Cheers

Jamie

excellent taste in movies! I LOOOOOVE the old universal monsters films. GREAT stuff.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK for a rehashed topic it's good. I like Van Helsing. It captures the 1930s horror genre movies' scripts and atmospheres perfectly but uses modern computer graphics to do what they only dreamed of.

I still like movies from that era but how do you pick one fav from The Mummy, Wolfman, Dracula or Frankenstein?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner