Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fear of the feminine

KAT

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Until they get bored with the toy, which usually occurs by mid-afternoon on Christmas day ...
:eek:
has to be a good toy ...the pretty fancy wrapping doesnt count
so that means clothes are good, feminine clothes are even better, but when the girl ......well you know what im talking about! :rolleyes:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
It's important to distinguish between feminine that's ladylike and feminine that's sexy. Sexy gets attention, ladylike gets respect.

And women treat other women differently based on their clothing. I never, ever wear anything sexy to work, unlike some of my colleagues. Although we're the same rank, so to speak, and equally busy, I'm almost never asked to do run errands or do shmutzy work around the office.

Sorry if I've disillusioned any gentlemen here. :D

Tin Pan Sally

Matt Deckard said:
Now back to the topic at hand and no more talk of gifts.

I'm sorry, but it's not surprising that a thread about femininely dressed ladies would turn to talk of gifts.

Back on topic, the last few times I've been out dancing I was one of the only girls in a dress. Most of the others wear jeans. I like the twirly skirt thing, it's fun.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Marc Chevalier said:
The best toys aren't the fanciest, with too many bells and whistles. Sharp edges aren't so good, either. The best toys are sturdy and fit right into a variety of games. It's best if they are flexible enough to survive life with you.

Sometimes, I just sit back and marvel, and try to learn something.
You sir, are a master.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Wait! Are you really 4'3"?

As for the topic ... skirts are very nice. I have no fear of them.

:eek:fftopic:
I think there is no need for the men to declare they arnt afraid of skirts...unless its you wearing them....which I might pay good money to see...

The topic was...why are women afraid of being feminine. Not, do men like it or not or whatever else.
:eek:fftopic:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think first of all the problem here might be one of not fear, but rather response to the changing norms in society.

Back then, it would have been just as brave for a women not to dress in what you are considering classically feminine garb as it is now for someone to do so. Both would be dressing against the current norm for their environment and that takes guts.

People in general do try to blend in to their peer groups. This means going with what the general populace now considers 'feminine'. Of course that feminine 'ideal' if you will has changed and so even if some of us blend in with the new ideal most of the time, that would leave us dressed in less then what one would consider 'classical feminine attire'.

I do not think women are trying to avoid being feminine at all. The proliferation of nail salons and hairdressers and spas attest to wanting to keep feminine, its just that parts of what that entails have changed. The beauty business is a multi-billion dollar industry, because we are all striving to be women.

Shifting sands of time....I say.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Well, up here in SFO Bay trying to find a woman dressed feminely is practically an effort in futility. It's been that way up here for 30 years. I remember my uncles and grandpa commenting on how sloppily women dressed in the 1970's. It's not like in the 1950's when women walked through Union Square in Frisco and down Broadway in Oakland very stylishly.
Up in Blackhawk, a very expensive area of Contra Costa County, Saks 5th Avenue opened a store in 1998. It closed SIX MONTHS later because all the rich women in Blackhawk didn't shop there. :( A very sad commentary on women in the SFO Bay Area.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if the frumpy look is becoming to be more common place no matter where you live. Around here there's a mix of styles going on and not all of them becoming. I love to look feminine, but most importantly I think is that I love to feel feminine.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Define "Feminine"

Feminine is a subjective term meaning different things to different people.

I look feminine wearing a pair of jeans and sweater. I don't wear a lot of make-up. I don't wear high heels, I'm too tall for that. To me feminine is about inner qualities and the way a lady carries herself. I've seen some scantily clad women act butch. I've seen some ladies working in the social services who don't wear dresses and apply lipstick, but they are feminine to me because they are using the wonderful quality of sensitivity and taking care of others that many women seem to have. To me that is feminine.

Matt- What does feminine mean to you?

KAT

A-List Customer
Paisley said:
It's important to distinguish between feminine that's ladylike and feminine that's sexy. Sexy gets attention, ladylike gets respect.

thats the thing..a lot of women dont know and see the difference between sexy and feminine. [huh] somebody has to teach them
(and no Im not 4"3)lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR