Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feb18,2009 no more rabbit ears

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a direct shot out the window at the Empire State Building, maybe 7 miles away, and even this close I get occasional signal break up, like satellite but worse.
And of course even tho the picture is drastically better (drastically) what they're putting out there is no better than it was. Still a vast wasteland.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I just hooked one up. I connected it to the roof top antennae. Two channels were always snowy, now both are clear. I have some friends who use just rabbit ears and they get break ups on their converter boxes all the time. I haven't experienced that with it hooked up to the roof antennae.

Flivver

Practically Family
I've been using my converter box since last Spring. I currently get 28 DTV channels using 2 different amplified antenna systems...but I still get occasional breakup on even the strongest signals due to weather conditions or a large truck going by.

When I first hooked my box up, I got 2 channels. I'm an Electrical Engineer, so I enjoyed the experimentation needed to get up to 28 channels. But, I think the average person will be quite frustrated.

This was never designed to benefit the public...the government's prime goal was to sell the low-band VHF frequencies (Channels 2-6) for other uses.

After the full digital change-over things (hopefully) will get better. Stations that are currently broadcasting their analog signal on high band VHF (channels 7-13) have been temporarily broadcasting their digital signal on UHF. But, many of them will move back to their old VHF channel after the change-over, where signal propagation is better. And some stations will up their digital power after the change-over. But those formerly broadcasting on low band VHF will be permanently stuck on UHF.

Even then, I think many people will still be disappointed with the results. A lot of tweaking will be required to bring reception back to the level many folks achieved before the change-over

The digital picture and sound are great...when they're perfect. But, when the picture pixelates and the signal drops below the threshold for reception, I'll take good old analog TV any day.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Yeah the worries about rural residents is right. I went from getting all the major channels "pretty well" to now getting none of them except PBS (sometimes) and now I get a whole bunch of religious channels I dont' watch. But they come in clear... Just another plot to get me to buy cable...

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I dont watch much TV at all its all Rubbish Crime shows but when I have watched digital, at friends homes , it freezes and goes all wonky with pixalated picture!!! whats that all about!!! the picture quality isn't there, it seems like a big mistake,there was nothing wrong with watching analogue shows such as , Greenacres!, Beverly Hillbillies, Lucy!, so why digital may I ask?!!! so advertising agencys can track what we are watching?

fr8dog

New in Town
going digital is not necessary an improvement in my opinion, you either get great or no picture, weaker signals that were perfectly watchable analog are lost now. also the FCC coupon program leaves much to be desired, ordered my coupons last september and got approval for 2 I am still waiting for them!
seems like a scam to me

Flivver

Practically Family
A number of stations have ceased analog broadcasting here in southern/central New England. NHPTV Channel 11 in Durham NH went all digital on Feb 17 and nearly all the stations in Providence RI went all digital on Feb 18.

Most of the other stations in my area are waiting for June 12. That gives me a few more months of over-the-air analog watching on my vintage TVs. Somehow, a converter box seems inappropriate when connected to a 1948 Tele-Tone 7" TV although it will work just fine.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24