Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV Question

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
I'm very much a "jeans and tee shirts" kind of guy and tend to wear darker colors--black, dark blue, dark green, and so on--so in my mind my hats don't really "go" with anything I wear, so they go with everything I wear. :D The "fashion police" might object, but I don't really give a rat's hairy backside about what anyone else thinks about my wardrobe. Well, except for my wife; she has to be seen with me in public occasionally so I don't want to be a complete embarrassment to her.

Akubra's Moonstone tends to photograph with a bit more of a bluish hue than it actually has, and brighter lighting tends to bring out that quality. But in more subdued/indoor lighting it's simply a nice mid-gray that I think is neither too dark nor too light; very versatile. Not long after I got mine I was struck by how similar it looked to many of the hats I've seen in black-and-white movies from the 30s and 40s, but that's one of the things that drew me to the Fed IV in the first place. Previous incarnations had slightly taller crowns and wider brims, but with the Fed IV I think Akubra really nailed the look of those hats we all admire--a relatively simple "everyman" hat that any guy could grab, stick on his head, and go about the day's business. It's a nice bonus that women look damn good in them as well.

Only if "the brown one", "the tan one", and "the gray one" count. :cool:

If I ever get another Fed IV, Carbon Gray would be my choice. I seriously considered it before I ordered my Moonstone, but ultimately thought the lighter color would be at least a little cooler during the hot summer months in this part of southern California.
Too funny. I’m always making sure my wife’s not ashamed to be seen with me in public, too. Mostly because of my Hawaiian shirts in the summer. I like ‘em kinda loud.
My current hat is a brown wool fedora that took my wife a while to get accustomed to. She always thought it was too tall until recently; says she’s gotten used to it. She’s prepared to not like my Fed IV. I might just name it after her.

I consider myself fortunate that my wife likes my hats; most of them, anyway. She says they remind her of the hats her father wore when she was younger. But I have two hats that she "dislikes with extreme prejudice", so I don't wear them when she's with me.

One of the nice things about the Fed IV (and the Campdraft) is that they're shipped open crown, so you can crease them however you like, including the height of the crown (within reason, that is). I've learned that I need hats with tall, untapered crowns so that I can crease them as I want to and still leave room to accommodate my enormous head. :D

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
If I ever get another Fed IV, Carbon Gray would be my choice. I seriously considered it before I ordered my Moonstone, but ultimately thought the lighter color would be at least a little cooler during the hot summer months in this part of southern California.

Did you have your moonstone through last summer? If so, was it cooler than a darker colored, otherwise identical hat?

I've been told, by more than one person, that I look better in darker colors. Most of my clothing and hats are darker colors.

I have straws, but wear felt in the summertime, or at least as much as I can, due to just-too-hot temps. I'm okay with a straw, but I don't love them the way I do felt. Because of that, a moonstone may very well be on my future purchase list.

Did you have your moonstone through last summer? If so, was it cooler than a darker colored, otherwise identical hat?
I did, and can't say I noticed a difference. Once the temperature and humidity reach a certain level you're just going to be hot and sweaty outdoors no matter what you wear. That said...

...I have straws, but wear felt in the summertime, or at least as much as I can, due to just-too-hot temps. I'm okay with a straw, but I don't love them the way I do felt. Because of that, a moonstone may very well be on my future purchase list.
I got my first straw hat last March, a Sunbody with what was supposed to be a 2-1/2" brim that actually measures 2-5/8" on the sides and 2-3/4" front and back; nearly the same dimensions as the Fed IV, except the crown is more tapered. Between it and my felt hats I definitely noticed a difference, and didn't sweat nearly as much while wearing the Sunbody so it became my go-to summer hat. I know Sunbody's hats are thicker/heavier than most straw hats, but I had a little cancer carved off of my nose in 2013 so I want and need the extra sun protection it provides. I prefer my felt hats, but I like the Sunbody so much that I'll probably get another one when finances permit.

If you like the Moonstone Fed IV, I'd keep it on your future purchase list. I mean, why not? :D

Krash1974

One of the Regulars

I've been told, by more than one person, that I look better in darker colors. Most of my clothing and hats are darker colors.

I have straws, but wear felt in the summertime, or at least as much as I can, due to just-too-hot temps. I'm okay with a straw, but I don't love them the way I do felt. Because of that, a moonstone may very well be on my future purchase list.
I’ve wondered that about the light colored hats, too. If they are cooler in summer than the dark ones. As far as that goes, do wool hats retain more or less heat than rabbit and/or beaver?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I would add the I love the Fed IV!! thread as well.

Just in case you aren't familiar with Akubra hats, don't be surprised if your hat fits loose when it arrives. The leather they use for their sweatbands will shrink as you wear the hat, or more specifically sweat while you're wearing it; perspiration dehydrates the leather, which causes it to shrink (approximately half a size in my experience). They know this, and make their hats accordingly. This is my Tawny Fawn Fed IV:

KZjYKM6.jpg

My head measures almost exactly 60 cm, so that's the size I've always ordered and after the expected "shrink to fit" period my Akubras fit my head comfortably without being too loose or too tight. And just because I like showing 'em off...

FocbUgW.jpg

Dark Brown, Tawny Fawn, Moonstone. They aren't "high end" or "top quality", but neither am I so they suit me just fine. :D

And welcome to The Lounge Krash!
Greetings All:
Good to know about the size shrink with time and i dig your color assortment, Z. I don’t have a Fed anything but a CD and a couple others and i wonder if the shrinkage is across the board with Akubras?
Hey Z, what i really wanna know is in the as recieved pic if you feel that was the easy way or the hard way method of opening the crown? Possibly a video or step by step info would be helpful. Especially at a later date as evidence or something!! Total Hoot Z!! Def not uptight!!
Be well all. Bowen

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I’ve wondered that about the light colored hats, too. If they are cooler in summer than the dark ones. As far as that goes, do wool hats retain more or less heat than rabbit and/or beaver?

I can't answer that directly, but I can tell you that the thickness of the felt will have an impact on its ability to keep you cooler in the heat.

My Fed III is thinner felt than my IVs, and is cooler in the heat of the summer.

I have also heard from many sources that beaver is generally warmer than rabbit because the felt is denser. Hey, those suckers live under water half their lives. Their fur has got to have great insulating properties. Cold water will kill you faster than cold air of the same temperature.

I haven't worn wool fedoras in a long time, so I don't remember how hot they were in hot weather.

...Good to know about the size shrink with time and i dig your color assortment, Z....
Thank you. I'd like to take credit, but Akubra came up with the colors; all I did was buy 'em and wear 'em. ;)

... I don’t have a Fed anything but a CD and a couple others and i wonder if the shrinkage is across the board with Akubras?...
If you're referring to the initial shrinkage, as far as I know it is; it seems to be common knowledge among Akubra wearers, but also appears to be unique to Akubra hats. Akubra knows the leather they use will shrink in this manner and approximately how much, so they make their hats accordingly which is why they're initially a little oversized. If the buyer/wearer has ordered the right size, the shrinkage not only "snugs" the hat down to a good fit but also tends to conform the hat/sweatband to the shape of the wearer's head. As for long-term shrinkage, my oldest Akubra isn't quite 10 years old yet, so I have no idea.

...Hey Z, what i really wanna know is in the as recieved pic if you feel that was the easy way or the hard way method of opening the crown?...
Both the Fed IV and the Campdraft are usually shipped open crown, so that's literally how I received it. So, yeah, it was pretty easy to open the crown. :D

But seriously, every time I've re-creased my hats I started by returning them to their open crown shape. Creasing, re-creasing, and simply "working" the felt by flexing it with my hands has softened each of my Akubras somewhat, but they're still relatively new felt and nowhere near as soft as and malleable as vintage and/or custom hats so there has always been some evidence of the previous creases (i.e. minor deformities) when I returned them to their open crown shape. My amateur attempts to eliminate that evidence was only mostly successful, but each time that evidence was camouflaged by the new crease and no one would notice it but me. I've read here on The Lounge that it's not so easy to do that with their pre-creased hats, but apparently it can be done.

...Total Hoot Z!! Def not uptight!!
You have no idea. I have my "moments" like everyone else, but most of the time I'm perfectly willing to be a clown if it'll make someone's day, hour, or minute at least a little better. People already have enough problems in their lives to deal with; I try not to be one of them.

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Just wait until you order an out-of-stock Akubra from Everything Australian and have to face the dreaded "three month wait" while Akubra makes your hat. :cool:
Oh that would be awful.
I gotta say that I’m thankful I found this place. I enjoy it here!

Oh that would be awful...
I've only had to "endure" it once myself, when I ordered my first Campdraft. My second CD shipped after only two months, and my third was in stock when I ordered it.

I've come to the conclusion that Hats Direct/The Hattery sells only hats through their website so they do their best to maintain a full inventory. But Everything Australian sells more than just hats, so they don't have the storage space to keep such a full inventory of the hats they sell through their website. However, across the board EA's prices are lower, so that's the trade-off--order from Hats Direct and pay more but receive your hat sooner, or order from Everything Australian and pay less but wait longer if they don't have the hat you want on hand. I've received excellent service from both, so price and patience are my deciding factors when placing an order.

That being said, they each have their "exclusives". For example, if you want a Fed IV you have to order it from Hats Direct, and if you want a Bluegrass Green Campdraft you have to order it from EA. There might be other examples, but I haven't encountered them yet.

...I gotta say that I’m thankful I found this place. I enjoy it here!
The Lounge is by far the most civil forum I've found on the 'Net. We have our occasional disagreements like any other segment of society, but they're usually resolved without the Bartenders/Moderators having to step in. The majority of the members here want it that way, and those who don't or can't "get with the program" usually aren't around long.

With regards to hats and/or general knowledge about "the era", the wealth of knowledge and experience among the members is astonishing and I believe this is the best resource on the 'Net for such information. We all tend to share a passion on some level for that specific time in history, and I've never encountered that "I know something you don't know" mentality here that I've seen elsewhere; if you ask a question and someone here knows the answer, they'll share it with you happily. Sure, sometimes you'll get the "short" answer simply because the long-term members have grown tired of answering the same questions over and over, but even that's rare.

But don't take my word for it. Stick around a while and decide for yourself whether or not I'm right. ;)

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
I just noticed
I've only had to "endure" it once myself, when I ordered my first Campdraft. My second CD shipped after only two months, and my third was in stock when I ordered it.

I've come to the conclusion that Hats Direct/The Hattery sells only hats through their website so they do their best to maintain a full inventory. But Everything Australian sells more than just hats, so they don't have the storage space to keep such a full inventory of the hats they sell through their website. However, across the board EA's prices are lower, so that's the trade-off--order from Hats Direct and pay more but receive your hat sooner, or order from Everything Australian and pay less but wait longer if they don't have the hat you want on hand. I've received excellent service from both, so price and patience are my deciding factors when placing an order.

That being said, they each have their "exclusives". For example, if you want a Fed IV you have to order it from Hats Direct, and if you want a Bluegrass Green Campdraft you have to order it from EA. There might be other examples, but I haven't encountered them yet.

The Lounge is by far the most civil forum I've found on the 'Net. We have our occasional disagreements like any other segment of society, but they're usually resolved without the Bartenders/Moderators having to step in. The majority of the members here want it that way, and those who don't or can't "get with the program" usually aren't around long.

With regards to hats and/or general knowledge about "the era", the wealth of knowledge and experience among the members is astonishing and I believe this is the best resource on the 'Net for such information. We all tend to share a passion on some level for that specific time in history, and I've never encountered that "I know something you don't know" mentality here that I've seen elsewhere; if you ask a question and someone here knows the answer, they'll share it with you happily. Sure, sometimes you'll get the "short" answer simply because the long-term members have grown tired of answering the same questions over and over, but even that's rare.

But don't take my word for it. Stick around a while and decide for yourself whether or not I'm right. ;)
Yeah, everyone is nice and happy to share their knowledge and welcoming of newbies into the community.
I’ve been trying to get tacking updates on my order, but there’s been nothing since it initially shipped out Thursday night. I have no experience with international shipping. Is it part of the norm for a shipping company not to update a package’s progress?

...I’ve been trying to get tacking updates on my order, but there’s been nothing since it initially shipped out Thursday night. I have no experience with international shipping. Is it part of the norm for a shipping company not to update a package’s progress?
Any tracking system is only as good as the people who use it. I've received shipping notices with tracking numbers that never got updated, and others that got updated every time the package moved from one department to the next within the same facility. :rolleyes: International shipping can complicate things because you're often dealing with any number of agencies whose tracking systems may or may not be compatible. I received one package from Australia (to the Los Angeles area of southern California) in only 4 days, but they've regularly taken 7-10 days to make the trip. I'd suggest you contact whoever you placed your order with if you haven't received either tracking information or your hat within two weeks. They'll usually request you wait a little longer, but at least you've advised them that there might be a problem.

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Any tracking system is only as good as the people who use it. I've received shipping notices with tracking numbers that never got updated, and others that got updated every time the package moved from one department to the next within the same facility. :rolleyes: International shipping can complicate things because you're often dealing with any number of agencies whose tracking systems may or may not be compatible. I received one package from Australia (to the Los Angeles area of southern California) in only 4 days, but they've regularly taken 7-10 days to make the trip. I'd suggest you contact whoever you placed your order with if you haven't received either tracking information or your hat within two weeks. They'll usually request you wait a little longer, but at least you've advised them that there might be a problem.
Thanks, man. You’ve put my mind at ease a bit. Good to know that it’s probably fine.

Thanks, man. You’ve put my mind at ease a bit. Good to know that it’s probably fine.
You're welcome. It's one of the many services I offer, and one of the few useful ones. :cool:

For future reference, another thing to remember is that Australia Post doesn't work on Saturdays and Sundays. Assuming you're in the U.S., your "Thursday night" is their "Friday afternoon", so it's possible your hat sat immobile for two days. That happened to me once, so I now try to remember to order earlier in the week.

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
You're welcome. It's one of the many services I offer, and one of the few useful ones. :cool:

For future reference, another thing to remember is that Australia Post doesn't work on Saturdays and Sundays. Assuming you're in the U.S., your "Thursday night" is their "Friday afternoon", so it's possible your hat sat immobile for two days. That happened to me once, so I now try to remember to order earlier in the week.
Ah. I wondered if they worked weekends.
I got an update a little while ago that it just left New York, so hopefully tomorrow or Thursday!
Funny though, I thought coming from Sydney it would head to California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot