Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed IV Question

Goose.

Practically Family
Edw8ri said:
After reading the great reviews on the Fed IV, I have ordered one. Here is my questions. What is you favorite bash? How high is your crown? Thanks

Chinaski said:
Triple F: Kudos to you, I was hoping you'd come through! I just like looking at your great pictures :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Without recalling from your previous postings, I was trying to guess which one has the center dent as you just posted the front shots. My guess is the tawny Fed IV??

Can we get Goose in this thread?
Hi Chinaski...:)
Here I am.
To answer Edw8ri's question, my Feds are all bashed the same. Wish I could do center dent or something else, but my noggin is too tall.

Here are the dimensions:
Front: 4.00"
High Side: 4.4" - just shy of 4.5"
Rear: 3.5"

501294938_ztFed-S.jpg
495496071_dDPCt-S-1.jpg
555346336_nPcA7-S-1.jpg
572500239_FXpvz-S.jpg

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
Goose,

You have the complete collection of Fed IV's. If you don't mind, I would like know which colors you find yourself wearing the most frequently? Thanks.

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Have to disagree about the tight creases - at least with my Feds. I got one for my girlfriend last year, did it in a tight crease and then this summer she wanted it opened up more like my Camp Drafts. With steam and patience I put it back to open crown like it was new and re shaped it with nary a trace of the old crease.

Don't get me wrong, it certainly is harder to deal with undoing a tight crease, but it's not impossible.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
kabuto said:
I avoid those tight creases because I've found they are hard to get rid of if yo want to change the crease later. You pretty much need to send the hat back out to get it professionally reverted to an open crown.

Thats kinda like the car salesman who told me to get my new car with a CD player, and not the cassette player I wanted (this was a 'few' years ago) because itd be more difficult to sell later with a cassette player.

I say if you like a tight crease, then wear a tight crease, and not worry about 'down the road.'

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Mine's a Deluxe in moonstone. I've experimented with just about every possible bash there is, and I've had no problem removing the tight front crease in this thicker, denser Heritage Collection felt, after a long walk in the rain.

Currently, it has a teardrop and a very tight though not razor-sharp front crease. Crown height: 4 1/8 front sloping to 3 3/4 rear, which creates a deep valley and quite a dome in this tall-crowned hat, yet the telescope is still almost an inch off the top of my head. I could lower it even more and it still wouldn't touch. Front of the brim is tilted down, the rear curled up.

When you get yours, wear it in the rain until it's really wet, then just start working the felt with your hands into every bash you can think of--it's a great practice hat 'cause you ain't gonna hurt it--until you find what you like best on your own noggin, then hang it on a knob by the sweat and let it slowly dry at room temp.

Wanna new hat? Rebash your Fed!

Goose.

Practically Family
Edw8ri said:
Goose,

You have the complete collection of Fed IV's. If you don't mind, I would like know which colors you find yourself wearing the most frequently? Thanks.
I'd say the Brown...my first Fed. Thought the Carbon would replace it as my favorite...but I still gravitate to the Brown.
So, it is Brown, Carbon, then Moonstone...today ;)

Chinaski said:
Hey Brother Goose! Thanks for posting the Fleet!
You bet Chinaski. My pleasure.

scottyrocks said:
Thats kinda like the car salesman who told me to get my new car with a CD player, and not the cassette player I wanted (this was a 'few' years ago) because itd be more difficult to sell later with a cassette player.

I say if you like a tight crease, then wear a tight crease, and not worry about 'down the road.'
Hey Scotty...that story reminded me of something similar. When I was buying my Jeep the salesman said I should get one with a CD player. I said "I don't have any CDs". His reply was, "that's because you don't have a CD player". Tough to argue that obvious logic. Anyway, I stuck to the Jeep that had everything else I wanted, including a cassette player :)

yardpup01

New in Town
When I got my Fed IV in Moonstone a few months back, it was pictures of Goose's fleet that inspired my bash. Tear drop, 4.25in at the front, rises up to 4.5in by the dents, and the slopes down to 3.5in in the back. I wish I could post pictures for you gents, but alas I do not own a digital camera.

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
My Fed IV arrived. I have done a pretty simple Indy bash. I ended up with that because it was simple. I tried a teardrop, but it just didn't come out right. A center crease is pretty hard to screw up. But I really like the way it came out. So I will keep it like this for a while. I have not used steam or water on it, figuring that if I want to change the bash later, it will be easier. Thanks to all for the help.

IMG00019-20100209-2310-1.jpg

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Hello!
Name's Kris and I'm new here. Ordered my first good hat - a Fed IV - yesterday and can not wait. My head's a 57cm and the good folks at Hats Direct told me to order a 58 for future shrinkage reasons. I plan on it being my daily hat with nothing, except maybe the hot and humid summer, keeping it off my head. My current hat is a wool Indy that I bought and modified 10 years ago and has been a real trooper. Anyone out there have any tips on daily rabbit care? Or "Do's" and "Do Nots"?

Thanks!
Kris

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
5975C873-6232-498F-8233-D010C9BDB072.jpeg
Hello!
Name's Kris and I'm new here. Ordered my first good hat - a Fed IV - yesterday and can not wait. My head's a 57cm and the good folks at Hats Direct told me to order a 58 for future shrinkage reasons. I plan on it being my daily hat with nothing, except maybe the hot and humid summer, keeping it off my head. My current hat is a wool Indy that I bought and modified 10 years ago and has been a real trooper. Anyone out there have any tips on daily rabbit care? Or "Do's" and "Do Nots"?

Thanks!
Kris
Hey there Kris, welcome! As you will soon see there are a lot of guys here who own more than one Akubra. I myself have 7 with 2 being FED IV's. These hats can take a beating, I've worn mine in every type of weather and they still look great. Only advice I can give is to let them dry naturally when they get wet, donot leave in a hot car, donot wear hair spray or gel the day you wear your hat. They will shrink the sweatband. Post some pics when you get it! Here's my Moonstone.
What color did you order?

daddy0d0

A-List Customer
View attachment 105235
Hey there Kris, welcome! As you will soon see there are a lot of guys here who own more than one Akubra. I myself have 7 with 2 being FED IV's. These hats can take a beating, I've worn mine in every type of weather and they still look great. Only advice I can give is to let them dry naturally when they get wet, donot leave in a hot car, donot wear hair spray or gel the day you wear your hat. They will shrink the sweatband. Post some pics when you get it! Here's my Moonstone.
What color did you order?
By the way, 2 threads I would checkout are, "WhatHat Are You Wearing Today"and "Akubra Overload"

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
By the way, 2 threads I would checkout are, "WhatHat Are You Wearing Today"and "Akubra Overload"
Hey, thanks for the welcome! Your Fed IV looks awesome! I ordered dark brown but almost got Moonstone. Probably will end up doing so at some point soon, I hope. Thank you for the tips, and the leads on the threads. I can't wait to post some pics!
Only thing is, I hope it can survive my 3 year old!
Odd question for you: is it custom to name your hats?

Hello!

Thanks!
Kris

Akubra hats are sturdy and are known for shrugging of the elements and not needing much care. Their leather sweatbands, however, are known for shrinking so I'd recommend either a brim block or a slightly snugged hat stretcher whenever you're not wearing it. Aside from that, I'd only give it a good brushing every now and then.

Personally, I like the idea of having at least two hats so you can rotate them; not just for coordinating with more outfits but to allow the hat to relax and for the leather to dry. Think of it like good leather shoes where you store one pair in shoe trees while wearing the other. Then again, it's an Akubra so it will shrug off lots of hard wear.

Enjoy your hat and share photos.

Krash1974

One of the Regulars
Akubra hats are sturdy and are known for shrugging of the elements and not needing much care. Their leather sweatbands, however, are known for shrinking so I'd recommend either a brim block or a slightly snugged hat stretcher whenever you're not wearing it. Aside from that, I'd only give it a good brushing every now and then.

Personally, I like the idea of having at least two hats so you can rotate them; not just for coordinating with more outfits but to allow the hat to relax and for the leather to dry. Think of it like good leather shoes where you store one pair in shoe trees while wearing the other. Then again, it's an Akubra so it will shrug off lots of hard wear.

Enjoy your hat and share photos.
Thanks for the great info! Rotating hats is a great idea (and reason for a second hat!) that I will be happy to put into practice.

I would add the I love the Fed IV!! thread as well.

Just in case you aren't familiar with Akubra hats, don't be surprised if your hat fits loose when it arrives. The leather they use for their sweatbands will shrink as you wear the hat, or more specifically sweat while you're wearing it; perspiration dehydrates the leather, which causes it to shrink (approximately half a size in my experience). They know this, and make their hats accordingly. This is my Tawny Fawn Fed IV:

KZjYKM6.jpg

My head measures almost exactly 60 cm, so that's the size I've always ordered and after the expected "shrink to fit" period my Akubras fit my head comfortably without being too loose or too tight. And just because I like showing 'em off...

FocbUgW.jpg

Dark Brown, Tawny Fawn, Moonstone. They aren't "high end" or "top quality", but neither am I so they suit me just fine. :D

And welcome to The Lounge Krash!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot