Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fed Regular sizing and hatsdirect service

fishmeok

Vendor
Thought this might be useful for some of us other nutters. I ordered my first Federation Regular on Friday after I got home from work. By 10 P.M I had TWO replies about sizing- and I didn't even ask them a question!

First response:

[[Hello Mark,

many thanks for your order.

We have had a high number of exchanges with the Federation style hat due to customers using advice and sizes not specific to Akubra and The Federation in particular. In order to avoid the disappointment of having to exchange and additional cost involved for both of us we ask that you double check your size.

Size instructions can be found here. http://www.hatsdirect.com/help/sizechart.html

A number of people have reported they have been advised by others to buy a size larger, have another brand of hat or simply used a conversion chart to determine size. This approach leads to problems more often than not.

Those who follow our instructions have very few problems. If there are any problems we are quick to resolve the problem via e-mail support or exchange.

If you wish to alter your size it is not a problem, simply let us know by return e-mail - do not re order your hat.

If you wish to discuss any issue regarding your head size please contact us - we respond to all e-mail within 24 hours.

As soon as we hear from you we will prepare your order for shipping.

Best regards,
Deb Leake
sales@hatsdirect.com]]

So I re-measured my head- I'm almost exactly 58.5 cm. here's the second response:

[[Hi Mark,

I've tested the 58's on a 58.5 block and they're all too firm. A 58 usually measures 58 and then shrinks 0.5 cm to fit. The 59 fits better on the block and will allow for the shrinkage.

I'll check with Ron on Monday but I think a 59 will be better.

We'll let you know when the hat is posted.

regards,
Deb]]

So I've got a 59 coming.
That's the best customer service I've enjoyed in quite a while...
Cheers
Mark

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's the sort of thing that saves everyone a lot of problems. You get a hat you're happier with, you don't have to worry about the expense of shipping it back and having a replacement shipped to you (US to Australia's nearly $30 each way), and they aren't stuck with part of those charges and/or an angry customer. It's a win-win for everyone.

oswulf

New in Town
Yup, I had a similar experience with them when I ordered my Fed Deluxe. Been wearing hats long enough to think I knew better and ordered a 59. Waaaay too big, shrinking it would have given me a mad hatter taper. So I sent it back for a 58 which of course were out of stock at the moment, but Ron reserved me one that was coming in the next week and I got it about 5 days after that.

You know I fully expected to pay shipping a second time from Australia, it was my own damn fault the hat was too big, but they sent it on without charging me postage. I know they lost a few bucks doing that because sending the 59 back to them the postage on my side was just slightly less than they charged me the first time. But in the end they'll make a nice profit from that because they've gained a loyal customer who'll buy all his Akubras from Hatsdirect. These guys know how to make a customer happy, and I haven't heard any negative reviews of their service here or anywhere else.

As for the hat, it's just sweet. I love it. Took a nice bash and shrunk up to fit my head perfectly. Akubra's my hero. Next I think their Territory might have to come home to me. When a bloke doesn't want to carry a parasol, but doesn't want to get fried by the sun that huge brimmed monstrosity has got to be THE hat.

Oswulf

fatwoul

Practically Family
I posted this reply over in COW too, but it may as well also go here:

fishmeok said:
...I've tested the 58's on a 58.5 block and they're all too firm...

This is strange. My head is 58.4 (1mm less than yours), and there was no mention of a 58 being too tight. When my 58 arrived, it was large enough that I had to use all the foam they gave me. Now it fits like a glove, but a 59 may not have shrunk down enough to fit me. I'd be interested to hear how your hat fits when it arrives.

Of course, in my case, hatsdirect ovalised my hat, so it could be that had I not asked for this, the 58 would have felt too tight, because of the excess down the sides.

fishmeok said:
...That's the best customer service I've enjoyed in quite a while...
Cheers
Mark

They really are very good aren't they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou