Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation Deluxe IV Size

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
babs said:
Interesting that the hat will fit so much more loosely until it's bashed.
I confirmed 23" or more precisely pretty much 58.5cm so I'll feel pretty confident in a 7 3/8 though I'll certainly talk to them first.... If I can stay off ebay long enough to save up my folding money. :)

Same experience here - I'm 58.25, so ordered a 59. It's a bit large, so I had to bash it in a way to make it fit comfortably. It was still loose, but after a good soaking in a rainstorm and re-bashing adjustments, it's now very nice....basically I love it as much as I've ever loved an inanimate object...but I digress...

JulianPascal

New in Town
My Faderation IV is arived today in the morning ,with foam at the front and the bag its a bit tight ,without a bit lose ,but with foam only in the back it fits nearly perfect:)

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Congrats on your new hat!

Now that was pretty fast. When I ordered mine, it took almost four weeks until it arrived. Did you have to pay customs for it?

JulianPascal

New in Town
Maybe because i've taken Courier... Yes ,i've payed 20€
That is it:
P12-08-09_1119.jpg

P12-08-09_11113.jpg

juli.jpg

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Congrats on the hat, wear it for a week or so and you may find it fits a bit better. I don't stick my foam in, just lay it behind the folds. That way if I have to remove it, there's no issue.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JulianPascal said:
Maybe because i've taken Courier... Yes ,i've payed 20€
That is it:
P12-08-09_1119.jpg

P12-08-09_11113.jpg

juli.jpg

Julian, it looks like you have done very well with the crease on that Fed. Its a nice looking hat on your head.

I

Ian

Hi,

I'm new here so go easy on me. ;)

As a newbie to the world of hats, I've only got the Christy's Adventurer in a 61cm and some other wool felts. Before I ordered it, I measured 59cm tight and 60cm with a little slack, but still firm. I ordered a 61 because I was worried about it being too tight. I think that it's too big though because I feel constantly like a slight breeze would send it flying.

I've just ordered a Fed IV deluxe in a 60cm (based on some emails with Hats Direct) and now I'm confused about whether it'll fit me or not. [huh]

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Ian said:
I've just ordered a Fed IV deluxe in a 60cm (based on some emails with Hats Direct) and now I'm confused about whether it'll fit me or not. [huh]
You'll just have to wait and see. I've got the Fed IV in both 62 and 63 (different colours, though) and the smaller one is a snug fit that will not fly away even in a stiff breeze, while the larger one is slightly loose with some foam tucked behind the sweatband (but it is becoming a better fit as I continue to wear it). My previous hats have been in 62, so I was a bit worried that the 62 Fed IV would be too tight (since the IVs are reputed to run a little on the small side), but it turned out fine (perhaps a little too snug, but not uncomfortably so).

It is a bit difficult to tell which one is the best until you try it yourself. My best fit would prolly be something between 62 and 63.

I

Ian

Cheers for that. I'm having to wait for the dark brown to turn up to check the fit before I can get the Moonstone - Waiting is hard! :(

babs

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
Same experience here - I'm 58.25, so ordered a 59. It's a bit large, so I had to bash it in a way to make it fit comfortably. It was still loose, but after a good soaking in a rainstorm and re-bashing adjustments, it's now very nice....basically I love it as much as I've ever loved an inanimate object...but I digress...

Funny you should mention rainstorm soaking.. I said fooey to steam and took my modern Miller under the faucet.. Yes, plain old well-water. Did a C-crown bash and now go figure the felt (modern fairly low-grade rough fur-felt "blend" I'm sure) feels much better.. Softer, smoother, etc. Noticed instantly the last Dobbs OR clone felt nicer after H2O hit it as well.

Still saving up, though I have to steer clear of temptations from your auctions, :).. Can't decide on felt type and color for a Fed IV. I guess if I'm going to spend the dough, go Deluxe.. Best dang felt I can get I suppose.

MarkD

One of the Regulars
I wear a 58 and I ordered my Fed Deluxe IV in a 58. It was too big when I got it so I had to use the foam strip. Yesterday I soaked it thoroughly with distilled water from my spray bottle focusing on the sweat on the inside and hatband on the outside. I then wore the hat for 5 hours. That shrunk it perfectly to my noggin but now there is dicoloration on the liner under the plastic. Not the end of the world but a bit disappointing.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
babs said:
Funny you should mention rainstorm soaking.. I said fooey to steam and took my modern Miller under the faucet.. Yes, plain old well-water. Did a C-crown bash and now go figure the felt (modern fairly low-grade rough fur-felt "blend" I'm sure) feels much better.. Softer, smoother, etc. Noticed instantly the last Dobbs OR clone felt nicer after H2O hit it as well.

Still saving up, though I have to steer clear of temptations from your auctions, :).. Can't decide on felt type and color for a Fed IV. I guess if I'm going to spend the dough, go Deluxe.. Best dang felt I can get I suppose.

I wore the Fed IV Deluxe yesterday because of rain and wind, and....it jumped right off my head and went for an intense roll down the sidewalk. A nice fellow caught it for me (didn't look like it was stopping for the 'walk' light), but it had made a side trip through some wet dirt. These are TOUGH hats, but I think they look very nice, and the rain is great for molding, and they brush up very well afterward.

I would definitely go with the Deluxe - it's almost up to vintage felt quality (IMO), and it's the most solid hat I've ever owned. Colorwise, if I get another it will be the Moonstone, but despite my aversion to Indy hats, the dark brown one looks awesome as well. Heck, I totally understand why some of you are buying ALL the colors!

Well, thanks for considering being tempted by my auctions :)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

I would definitely go with the Deluxe - it's almost up to vintage felt quality (IMO), and it's the most solid hat I've ever owned. ...

Really. "almost up to vintage felt quality". How close is it? :rolleyes: lol

Seriously, really???

BTW, I recently chased a lid across a parking lot for about a hundred yards before I finally caught it. I felt like I was chasing a loose kitty because every time I got close to it the wind would gust again and take it for another ride.

I must say though that a Fedora wheeling along at speeds faster than any human can run is truly a sight to behold.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Really. "almost up to vintage felt quality". How close is it? :rolleyes: lol

Seriously, really???

BTW, I recently chased a lid across a parking lot for about a hundred yards before I finally caught it. I felt like I was chasing a loose kitty because every time I got close to it the wind would gust again and take it for another ride.

I must say though that a Fedora wheeling along at speeds faster than any human can run is truly a sight to behold.

Haha! I was wondering if I would get a reaction to that statement! (I had typed something else, but erased it). I used to spend a lot of time over at Byrnie Utz, and handled quite a few modern felts - they just don't feel as nice as the old ones. I bought this one because I wanted a 'new' hat, I wanted this design and color, and I wanted a 'tough' hat that could handle the Seattle winter weather. I got just what I envisioned, and I'm very pleased. I can't say the same for the Stetson Chatham that I paid almost the same price for.

Scott <=== opening a nice can of worms again

cookie

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I bought this one because I wanted a 'new' hat, I wanted this design and color, and I wanted a 'tough' hat that could handle the Seattle winter weather. I got just what I envisioned, and I'm very pleased. I can't say the same for the Stetson Chatham that I paid almost the same price for.

Scott <=== opening a nice can of worms again

Scott you will be seeking Aussie citizenship before long or at least dual nationality!;) :D

filfoster

One Too Many
Akubra cadabra

This thread left me insanely curious about these so I ordered the Federation IV 'standard' models in moonstone and dark brown, I wear a 7 1/8 so I am gambling on the 57. It will be interesting to see what arrives. Julian: Nice hat indeed. I hope it will be as much fun fondling and bashing these into some semblance of a Maltese Falcon Bogey fedora.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
ScottF said:
I wore the Fed IV Deluxe yesterday because of rain and wind, and....it jumped right off my head and went for an intense roll down the sidewalk. A nice fellow caught it for me (didn't look like it was stopping for the 'walk' light), but it had made a side trip through some wet dirt. These are TOUGH hats, but I think they look very nice, and the rain is great for molding, and they brush up very well afterward.

Luckily the Fed IV has that oblong, dimensional brim to slow that roll down a little. A Campdraft could of been a goner. I'm not sure what I'd do if my hat blew off and was carried way off. Run after it or jump in my car and head home and order another ASAP.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Chuck Bobuck said:
Luckily the Fed IV has that oblong, dimensional brim to slow that roll down a little. A Campdraft could of been a goner. I'm not sure what I'd do if my hat blew off and was carried way off. Run after it or jump in my car and head home and order another ASAP.

It was FLYING down the sidewalk - almost as if the dimensional brim gave it more speed! It picked up rain and dirt on that roll, then was soaked by a long walk...then I took it hiking a few days later during a good rain. Result - it is now much closer to an Indy bash, but still brushed up beautifully. Makes me wonder if that's a bash that occurs somewhat naturally when the wearer is constantly grabbing the hat during wind and rain, or removing to wipe off sweat. I'm going to end up getting the dark brown one, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart