Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FEDERATION IV PROBLEMS...

Dean

New in Town
2607875580106217446S200x200Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This pic' is the bottom of the brim (from when it was being held in hand against chest, brim slightly rolled) - this hasn't gone right through the felt. The discolouration is definately from where the rain / snow landed, but I should stress that this wasn't heavy. The other spots to the top of the brim haven't gone thru' either.

I've e-mailed Akubra with some pics'.

Dean.

I

Ian

Hi again Dean,

Have you posted anything over on COW about this? Those guys are nuts about the Akubra Fed IV and might have some advice regarding it.

Ian

Inusuit

A-List Customer
COW...

is Cafe Obi Wan, a forum for Raiders of the Lost Ark and sequels fans. Lots of emphasis on SA (I had to ask, that means "Screen Accurate") Indiana Jones gear. The Akubra Fed IV is a hot item for those guys.

Dean

New in Town
Ahaaaa....now I see, I get it - Obi Wan.

Bit of a coincidence (sort of) - we were staying with the D.O.P from The Empire Strikes Back when the hat got wet....

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have found that the darker Akubra colors leech out slightly when wet (only when they are new, I think it's excess dye), but NOT on the level that your picture shows. Normally, the discoloration should be less obvious, and livable enough to just let it even out over time (not too hard to do where you live). But what I'm seeing is clearly not right. Politely ask hatsdirect for an exchange because you believe the dye is actually coming out of the hat.

Simply make clear what you have done so far, based on their instructions, and what you want to do next. They should respond to that well.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Inusuit said:
is Cafe Obi Wan, a forum for Raiders of the Lost Ark and sequels fans. Lots of emphasis on SA (I had to ask, that means "Screen Accurate") Indiana Jones gear. The Akubra Fed IV is a hot item for those guys.

That would be CLUB Obi Wan, to be exact. I don't think anyone over there has ever mentioned something this bad. They would also say - send it back! :eek:

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Dean said:
Ahaaaa....now I see, I get it - Obi Wan.

Bit of a coincidence (sort of) - we were staying with the D.O.P from The Empire Strikes Back when the hat got wet....

Well, that particular D.O.P. is responsible for some seriously spooky cinematography, he did allmost all movies for David Kronenberg.. who knows what he has done to your FedIV.. ;)

I have exactly the same hat as you have, no problems with it, been in and out of the rain, snow, whatever.. no stains.. It's not normal and if I were your, I'd send it back.. goodluck.

Dean

New in Town
2130182900106217446S200x200Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I suspect that this is probably normal, but this is a (damp) white cloth after a light rub on the hat....not a great photo....

(Oops - different DOP, second unit, not first).

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Dean,

This discoloration has to be a first for the Fed IV, likely a rare Akubra manufacturing defect that made it past QC. I'm sure if you ask for an exchange, Hatsdirect will do it. They might even work with you on shipping, so I would not hesitate to ask for help on that, as well.

Keep this to yourself when you chat with HatsDirect, but it's possible that there is some sort of pollution in the air where you live, which became concentrated in the snow and rain, that caused the discoloration. The chemical would show up in dark material and not light such as your wife's Plainsman.

Let's hope it was not nuclear fall-out!

Got a Geiger counter?

Dean

New in Town
That would be just my luck - buy a new hat and it gets radiated! The wife's hat must be lead lined.

I like your thinking, but I live in a National Park. When the hat got wet, we were visiting a remote farmhouse, deep in the Welsh valleys (hence moving the car to avoid getting snowed or iced in). Mind you, nowhere in Britain is that far from anywere......

I'm waiting on a response from Hats Direct or Akubra.

Dean.

Al Niente

Familiar Face
I have a black Akubra I purchased in the early '90's (ie last century!) Didn't wear it a lot because it was a bit tight and I didn't know how to stretch it properly. Now it is stretched out (56 to 57) and I wear it a lot. Now, this hat is not new, but I wore it on a trip to Niagra Falls. Went on the Maid of the Mist. Hat got soaked THROUGH....dripping wet. Set it out to dry and the thing looked better than it ever did. No color bleed, no discolorations. If anything, it was darker.

The hat in question in this thread is defective. Send it back even if it cost you postage. You will never be happy with it should you keep it. That may, in the end, be more expensive than the psaltry sum to return it in that you will have paid the full price, kept the hat for years...and never enjoyed it.

Good luck with it.

P. S. I have been considering a Deluxe Fed IV. Tell them we are watching what happens here. How they back up their product after the sale influences our decision. Certainly does mine.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Al Niente said:
P. S. I have been considering a Deluxe Fed IV. Tell them we are watching what happens here. How they back up their product after the sale influences our decision. Certainly does mine.

Al Niente, you must realize, this is an extremely rare event. :eek: The chances of you getting a "bad" Akubra are slim. Now, If we were talking a modern Stetson or Borsalino... [huh]

Randy

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
Al Niente, you must realize, this is an extremely rare event. :eek: The chances of you getting a "bad" Akubra are slim. Now, If we were talking a modern Stetson or Borsalino... [huh]

Randy

Be nice to modern Stetsons![bad] None of my 9 or 10 of them have EVER discolored like that and several have been rain wet! Have you had a personal bad experience with the modern Stetson? :) :eek:fftopic:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Mr. Paladin said:
Be nice to modern Stetsons![bad] None of my 9 or 10 of them have EVER discolored like that and several have been rain wet! Have you had a personal bad experience with the modern Stetson? :) :eek:fftopic:

I wondered if you'd chide me for that remark! :eek: I know you're an avid fan of the modern Stetsons. I haven't personally had a bad experience, but know folks who have, the last Stetson I've owned was a licensed Indy from the 80's.

Actually, the adamant praise you've given your Stetsons has made me rethink my prejudice. Especially when your hats are outlet finds of quality! :)

Randy

::EDIT::

I take that back! The last Stetson I've owned was a western beaver my grandfather bought, but it's far too small for my head, I'm considering selling it.

theinterchange

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Actually, I think that this is a more frequent event than is commonly acknowledged.

Cheers,
JtL

The discoloration thing is frequent? I would think that if it were, you'd hear plenty about it as vocal as folks are around these parts. [huh] As much as I like my Akubras, were I to experience something like this, I'd be squawking! ;)

In all the Akubra threads I've read here and on Club Obi-Wan [I've begun to spell that out for the uninformed that seems to be a common question the last few days.], this was the first I've read of it. Now, I've seen several "my bow arrived looking like crud" threads.

Things do happen, bad apples get past quality control at any factory. Just look at Toyota! :eusa_doh: :p

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav