Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FEDERATION IV PROBLEMS...

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
I'm so glad you have the problem resolved and will be happy with your first "proper" hat.

Far from being "generous," Hats Direct and Akubra just did what any decent vendor should: Replace what was quite obviously defective merchandise. I hope HD is paying for return shipping, as well. They do want the defective hat back, right?

Personally, I've never been anything but delighted with Hats Direct or Akubra--I wouldn't do business with them if not.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Frankly Dean I am happy to see things work out for you...
icon14.gif

be-assertive.jpg

Dean

New in Town
Well, my replacement Fed IV hat arrived today. A few first impressions (which are not meant to be taken as positive or negative, just observations):

Got hit for tax on the hat at import despite HatsDirect's best efforts. Apparently VAT is applicable even on warranty issues (the Government gets two bites...alright, this is a negative!)

The felt is much stiffer than the previous hat - much as the difference between cardboard and heavy paper. I'm trying to get a bash to hold and it just generally falls out (the previous hat held the bash without any moisture shaping, just hand work). Some steam may be necessary?

I chose a new colour for the replacement - the carbon grey (no particular reason). This looks much darker (almost green / grey) than the other photos I've seen on this site, which all appear a blue shade.

All considered, there is a completely different feel to the hat. I'm happy with the outcome though.

Cheers again - DEAN.

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
The carbon grey color is, as you now know, pretty darn dark. Color preference is entirely personal, so I hope you like it or learn to like it.

The stiffness of Fed IVs, I've learned here, varies a lot. Mine, a Deluxe in the Heritage felt, was not exactly soft but not stiff either.

Yours is. Take heart. Just beat the hell out of it. No kidding. Punch it with your fist. Wank the felt every which way. You're not gonna hurt it--it's an Akubra.

After the pugilistic treatment, preliminarily bash it dry, then when it rains, stick it on your head and wear it outside walking as fast as you can go as long as you can. That'll break in the sweat with sweat and get the felt good and drenched with rainwater, which is usually surprisingly clean.

Then bash it just as you like. Stick it back on your head and leave it there as long as you can--that'll help it conform to your head as it dries. It'll probably still be damp when you go to bed, so just hang it by the sweat on a blunt knob and let it dry completely at room temperature.

Don't like the bash? Wanna whole new look? Bored? Well, just do it all over. And then over. And then over again. Don't worry. It's an Akubra!

Dean

New in Town
Cheers - I actually like the colour and stiffness - makes the hat seem much more formal, which is one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place.

I will need to wear it in thought, its a tad too big, but only just. I am trying a teardrop bash this time.

Its a nice hat!

DEAN.

Edward

Bartender
I imagine it must do (let's not even go there about stiff felt...).

I have several Akubras. My Riverina I had a small issue with dye coming out of the sweat band, but it's first trip was to China, including the high humidity of Hong Kong (ot to mention getting caught in the heaviest rain in HK for 124 years....)... I also have an Akubra Rap -the back, stingy brimmed pork pie they do, which I originally bought for wearing with a Ted drape and the full works (as a head shaver, a quiff is not an option, and I've gotten to the point now where I feel naked without a hat. Since June 2007, I think I've left the house without a hat on on three occasions - all of them while wearing heavy, all-over head make-up and/or devil horns....). That Rap was crushed beyond all recognition at a Pogues gig just before Christmas. Fifteen minutes with the kettle when I got home, and it's almost good as new again; rather softer than it was, but still, you'd never know it had been so mauled. Wish I'd photographed it now...

I have two Federations, one carbon grey regular, one dark brown deluxe, both the Mk III. Beautiful hats, probably far and away my favourites, certainly both my go tos. They were bought from HD in December 2008 and have since been worn extensively in all weathers. The top edge of the crown on my grey one has recently begun to show a little mark which I believe to be dust from having sat too long on top of the wardrobe - I really must brush it properly. The brown one, along parts of the brim where it has had my oily fingers touch it regularly for so long, has a couple of tiny orange/rust coloured spots, but really, you have to look for them. A bit like the tiny flecks of colour on the Donegal Tweed jacket I'm wearing today that you have to look right up close to see.... Certainly nothing that I would consider abnormal in a hat that has had so much wear over a couple of years.

Always been very happy with HD's service, and planning to go back to them for another couple of Feds as soon as finances allow (a Regular in the tan colour, and a Deluxe in the Moonstone. I'd like a black one too...... not sure which to go for...). Thing is, when a small company is trying to do business internationally like that, I'm sure they get a heap of inquiries, so I'm sure the odd email does slip the net, or they get backed up or whatever.... [huh]

Odd you got stung for customs, though. On all three of my orders frm them so far HD have, eh, put certain markings on the box, and I have not been bothered by customs..... You're quite right, though, that if you return something to be replaced customs can charge you again when the replacement enters the UK. That really stings.... I did once just sell on a pair of jeans rather than return them to the US because of this (that and Parcelforce stiffed me for some dodgy "handling fee" with the net result they cost me twice what the seller had for both the jeans and the postage...). What really sticks in my craw is that 99% of the ime the reason I'm buying in from abroad is because there simply is no equivalent available in the UK, which makes a mockery of the idea of customs charges being designed to protect local producers.... :rage:

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I've only had the Federation for two months and I already conclude that it's by far my nicest hat. I'm glad Edwards convinced me to get one and to save money by going for the regular.

However, I have one dilema. Should I ever attend one of Edward's gatherings in London I'm afraid of what will happen if we wear the same hat since I like to have at least a little bit of originality.

frussell

One Too Many
Glad It's Resolved

Dean - glad you got your new hat. My Carbon Grey is one of my favorites. As far as stiffness goes, the "walk in the rain" suggestions, I like to just spray mine with distilled water. This eliminates any spotting, and having to wear a raincoat. All my Akubras have shrunken to fit my heat pretty exactly without taking any long sweaty walks in nasty weather. Spray bottles allow you to uniformly wet the felt, and will make it softer, as well as easier to hold a shape. I like to wait until mine are almost dry, then put the desired bash in and wear until completely dry. Your mileage may vary. I'm just happy HatsDirect came through, as I've been really happy with their products and service. Frank

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Upon reflection, "wank" was probably not the best verb to describe what I was suggesting; lets' go with "manually manipulate with vigor."

Frank (frussell) being one of my favorite people here who is an interesting person always providing sensible advice, I'm not disagreeing with him, but the reason I recommend taking a long brisk walk in the rain with a new fur felt hat is because it simply accelerates the breaking-in process. I suggest this only for Akubras and other such hardy hats.

By doing both this and wanking, er, manually manipulating with vigor, what would otherwise take months if not years to accomplish can be compressed into a few days or weeks, depending on the weather. Letting the hat dry at least somewhat while still on your head also makes it conform to your noggin for a virtually custom fit.

frussell

One Too Many
Okay, wanking is the way to go

Thanks Alter Ego, for the snort upon reading your kind words. I'm afraid that your re-wording of "wanking" is almost as PG-13 as the original word. I nearly had Diet Pepsi shoot out of my nose. I didn't mean to come off as correcting you, all my cowboy hats got broken in using the rain method, it's a proven process for sure. I'm just always scared my brim will get floppy if I oversaturate or overexpose before I've got it just where I like it. Many of my hats are in danger of warped brims due to stretching to fit my huge head, so I'm a little shy with my "good" hats. Frank.

Joeyeah_right

New in Town
FedIV in the rain.

I really want to get my Carbon-Grey FedIV rain-soaked to get it worn-in a bit. I received the hat over three weeks ago and it hasn't rained once! (except at night when i've been asleep or when i've been at work). Yet the week before I received my FedIV it rained practically all day every day for a week! [huh]

Still, I think the hat bug has got me now, as I've just ordered the FedIV Deluxe in brown. I tried to resist, but then got some money back after overpaying a bill for the last couple of months - just enough to afford the Deluxe, and I couldn't stop myself :D

I can't wait to get it! :)

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
avedwards said:
I've only had the Federation for two months and I already conclude that it's by far my nicest hat. I'm glad Edwards convinced me to get one and to save money by going for the regular.

However, I have one dilema. Should I ever attend one of Edward's gatherings in London I'm afraid of what will happen if we wear the same hat since I like to have at least a little bit of originality.

I love my Fed also. You and Edwards will have to remember to touch base before an event. Although, dressing exactly the same could be entertaining. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav