Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation IV sizing

Tvaryen

New in Town
I realized this thread is two years, but had to post.
I had placed an order for the Federation IV size 59.
I found this thread a day after I placed the order.
I emailed them my concerns and measurements.

They confirmed that they do run a little small and recommended I get the 60cm. Since the 59 was on back order they are now shipping the 60 out today.

Great customer service...

Edward

Bartender
I've had two Fed IIIs - they, like all my other Akubras, were ordered in my own size 57. Loose at first, snugged up after a coupel of week's wear, fit beautifully now. Sounds like the IV is different than the III? Anyone in a position to confirm that? I'm hoping next year to bulk order all the colours, about four or five hats!

I realized this thread is two years, but had to post.
I had placed an order for the Federation IV size 59.
I found this thread a day after I placed the order.
I emailed them my concerns and measurements.

They confirmed that they do run a little small and recommended I get the 60cm. Since the 59 was on back order they are now shipping the 60 out today.

Great customer service...
I've read the "They do run a little small" comment on various posts here on The Lounge, and was even told the same thing by someone at Hats Direct, but that hasn't been my experience. My head measures almost exactly 60 cm, so that's the size I've ordered every time and, after the expected "shrink to fit" period, all three of my Fed IVs snugged down to what I consider to be a perfect fit. That being said, if you're between sizes or have a "long oval" head it's probably best to follow their recommendations.

And please post photos of your new hat after you've received it and shaped it!

javadave61

Practically Family
I've read the "They do run a little small" comment on various posts here on The Lounge, and was even told the same thing by someone at Hats Direct, but that hasn't been my experience. My head measures almost exactly 60 cm, so that's the size I've ordered every time and, after the expected "shrink to fit" period, all three of my Fed IVs snugged down to what I consider to be a perfect fit. That being said, if you're between sizes or have a "long oval" head it's probably best to follow their recommendations.

And please post photos of your new hat after you've received it and shaped it!
I have a 60 that fits like a 60. Well, technically a 59.75, but that's close enough for government work. I'm between 59 and 60 and love the fit.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I have a 60 that fits like a 60. Well, technically a 59.75, but that's close enough for government work. I'm between 59 and 60 and love the fit.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
To be honest, if I remember correctly the last time I measured my Fed IVs they came up somewhere in the 59.5 cm range, so technically I suppose they do run a little on the small side. But in my experience half a centimeter hasn't been much of an issue when it comes to hat sizing.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a little less than a true 57 mm. The first Fed I ordered I was told to order a size up... too big. I have padded it from day one. I love the hat but have padded from day one. My moonstone is a perfect fit at 57 and my Heritage fawn is slightly too big and lightly padded at a 57. I guess that means that they average true to size or slightly small.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
I'm an exact 56.5. Almost all my 57s have a little padding. I wouldn't say that any of my hats have shrunk, that I'm aware of.
They are all Fed deluxe.

I'm an exact 56.5. Almost all my 57s have a little padding. I wouldn't say that any of my hats have shrunk, that I'm aware of.
They are all Fed deluxe.
Akubra's deluxe/Heritage Grade hats shrink quite a bit less than their regular/Imperial Grade hats, but they generally do shrink a little. My first two Fed IVs, both regular/Imperial Grade felt, were so oversized when I received them that I could pull them down far enough for my head to completely fill the open crown with very little effort. But my third Fed IV, which is the deluxe/Heritage Grade felt, was only slightly oversized when I received it; almost a perfect fit right out of the box. But after shaping and wearing all three hats a few times they all snugged down to a nice comfortable fit, and now all three fit the same. Of course, there's always the possibility that my head just happens to be almost the same size and shape as the blocks Akubra uses for their size 60 Fed IVs. :D

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Naomi and Trudi at Hats Direct are very helpful! I'm awaiting my third Fed IV (regular). When I ordered the first (Moonstone gray), I followed Hats Direct's suggestion and ordered a 59 (I reliably wear an Akubra 58). The 59 needed padding, but fit was OK. When I ordered my second (dark brown), I asked if they could try to find me a 59 that was closer to a true 58, which they did -- resulting in a better fit.

For the third order, I made the same request. Naomi and Trudi e-mailed back right away to say none of the 59s in stock had the right fit -- they'd be getting some more in shortly and would measure them all to find me the best fit. If they can possibly help you get a hat that fits, they will. I love these Fed IVs!

b6bmdz.jpg
302c58p.jpg

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
You have to like a retailer that treats you like that.
Absolutely! We Akubra folk are very lucky to have Sam Menche at Everything Australian, and Naomi and Trudi at Hats Direct.

They're great at answering e-mails quickly, providing helpful answers and info, and shipping as promptly as possible. I'm sure there are other hat retailers who also go the extra mile (kilometer?) to give top-notch service. These just happen to be the ones I knew about from recommendations here at the Lounge, where I've had personal experience worth praising, and where we know we can buy with confidence.

stratcat

One of the Regulars
Absolutely! We Akubra folk are very lucky to have Sam Menche at Everything Australian, and Naomi and Trudi at Hats Direct.

They're great at answering e-mails quickly, providing helpful answers and info, and shipping as promptly as possible. I'm sure there are other hat retailers who also go the extra mile (kilometer?) to give top-notch service. These just happen to be the ones I knew about from recommendations here at the Lounge, where I've had personal experience worth praising, and where we know we can buy with confidence.
A big +1 here too. Their communication is fabulous. I wish I could afford more hats just so I can support a great business!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

I agree. Both are great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner