Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation or CEO...can't decide

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
I'm confused is the Fed AKA the Akubra "Stylemaster"?
Not even close. Go here and here to get a handle on the differences.

The Stylemaster is an easy way to get a nice vintage-looking hat with a bound 2-1/2" brim with a factory-blocked C-crown. The Federation has an unbound dimensional brim with a taller, more straight-sided crown. It is shipped open crown from Hats Direct. You crease it yourself the way you want it, and that goes for the brim as well.

Here's a Stylemaster in acorn fawn on the left and a Federation IV in tawny fawn on the right:

stylemaster-acorn-large.jpg
fed4-tawnyfawn-large.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
So really the Fed IV is more vintage as the high crown, wide brim and open crown are typical of vintage, compared to a pre-creased lower crown?
Yes, that's sort of the point. Before WWII, most fedoras were shipped open crown and were creased to the customer's preference at the hat shop or he creased it himself. Hand-creased crowns have softer edges and different overall look than most factory-blocked ones.

Compared to most fedoras made in the past 50 years, the Stylemaster has a wide brim and tall, relatively untapered crown. But the Fed IV looks even more vintage with a higher, more straight-sided hand-creased crown, hand-shaped brim (instead of snap), and wider, more contrasted ribbon.

Goose.

Practically Family
These two pics (linked below) are reason enuf for me to get a Federation Moonstone.
Great pics. You gents make that hat look good ;)

What a versatile hat...
Paladin looks as friendly as can be while JohnnyB53 looks as though he'g gonna take someone's lunch money ;)

Thanks for the pics...especially the compare shot of the CEO. Hope to someday get one...black band w/ the moonstone Fed kind of growing on me....may take me a bit longer to accept the bound edge like on the CEO. More importantly, I think the fact that the Fed is less tapered would better suit my high noggin.

Thank you gentlemen...you wear it well.

http://i445.photobucket.com/albums/qq178/MrPaladin_photos/001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/JohnnyB53/FedIVDlx15-1.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
These two pics (linked below) are reason enuf for me to get a Federation Moonstone.
Great pics. You gents make that hat look good ;)

What a versatile hat...
Paladin looks as friendly as can be while JohnnyB53 looks as though he'g gonna take someone's lunch money ;)

Ha ha! Well, as you can see, once I take somebody's lunch money, it makes me look friendly too!

FedIVDlx15-1.jpg
JohninFedIVDlxLB-2DS.jpg

Alchemy5150

New in Town
JohnnyB53 said:
Ha ha! Well, as you can see, once I take somebody's lunch money, it makes me look friendly too!

FedIVDlx15-1.jpg
JohninFedIVDlxLB-2DS.jpg

Well, mine's on it's way. I hope I can make it look even half as good as you got yours to look. Very nice!

Goose.

Practically Family
In the words of Herman Munster..."Darn. Darn. Darn.".

HD is out of stock on the Fed IV Moonstone in my size.

They have Heritage Fawn or Dark Brown.

:(

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
In the words of Herman Munster..."Darn. Darn. Darn.".

HD is out of stock on the Fed IV Moonstone in my size.

They have Heritage Fawn or Dark Brown.
Since they have Heritage Fawn, I take it you're looking to get the moonstone Deluxe?

Unfortunately, HD's stock would have been drained at Christmas followed by Akubra's 5-week furlough when it's too hot to make felt. So now they're coming back to work (I presume) and have to replenish the stock.

I know it's gotta be tough, but as an owner of a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe, they're worth the wait.

I do also have a fawn one that I'm quite fond of. It goes with lots and lots of stuff--browns, greens, navy, anything dark. But I like having a fawn one and a grey one.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'll second what JohnnyB said...I have Fed Deluxe IV in sable brown, Moonstone and Heritage Fawn, and they are all great. But there's something about that fawn. I think it's actually the nicest-looking of the lot. Not trying to push it on anybody, but it has a very classic look that goes with lots of tans, browns, greens etc. Reminds me of the color of some classic cars from the 1920s.

Not as versatile maybe as the grey, and my wife likes the grey better, but she has an aversion to anything resembling brown! One of her quirks...

= Bill

Goose.

Practically Family
Johnny and Bill...

BIG thanks for the replies...good to get the opinions of the pros...I am leaning towards the Dark Brown since I like the band match.
BUT, I do like the color of the Heritage Fawn.

So, you prob know the question that follows...given that the HD site colors seem to be diff than the quality you gents post...
Can you posts pics?

I looked in the Akubra Overload thread but didn't really see pics that compare the Dark Brown to the Heritage Fawn.

As for the Moonstone, right now I can get by with my carbon grey Casual and charcoal Sydney...so I guess a shade of some brown would be good for me.

And I look at it this way, if I like the one I'm gonna order...I'm pretty certain I will join your cult and be guilty of Federation Polygamy.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Johnny and Bill...
...given that the HD site colors seem to be diff than the quality you gents post...Can you posts pics?
I don't know if this is going to be much help, as my fawn Fed IV is a std model in tawny fawn, rather than heritage fawn, but here is my tawny fawn Fed IV next to a David Morgan Adventurer in dark brown, followed by the moonstone Deluxe. The dimensions of the DM are not representative of his current product as mine was a mfr's sample before the dimensions were finalized for production. The pics were taken indoor with a flash. We'd probably get a more accurate color rendition at around noon on a sunny day, but the weather outside was horrible when these pics were taken.

DMAdvntrer1.jpg
TFFedIV1.jpg
MnstneFedIVDlx1.jpg

Michael Jecks

New in Town
And having followed the threads here and elsewhere, I've taken the same decision - a Fed in brown. My problem was, my head's that bit bigger (which probably says a lot about me) at 24 inches plus. So those nice guys at Akubra persuaded me that a Federation III would probably be a better size and fit for me. Paypal's done the deed. All I have to do now is wait!

Mr. John Smith

New in Town
I find that I gravitate to my Fed IV as my go-to hat. I get a lot of compliments on it. I will say that the big reason I like it is because I bashed it myself (my first bash- a diamond). It just seems more personal...;)

thecoolmiester

New in Town
I'd say get the CEO, feds are great but since you already
own one and you like a bit of taper and don't want an Indy look
then the answer is right in front of you. :)
Get the CEO, man.

thecoolmiester

New in Town
Alchemy5150 said:
I like the Indiana Jones style (I own a Raiders model made by Peters Bros.), but the shape of it makes me feel that I'm wearing a western hat at times, not a fedora.

Maybe the reason that your PB Indy hat feels like a western hat
is because it is made by Peters Bros who have specialized in making western
hats for decades. The felt is considerably thicker just like a western
hat too.

This may be why is doesn't feel like a fedora, but i dunno [huh] .

Goose.

Practically Family
My Federation IV Deluxe Dark Brown and Hampton arrived today.
Pretty impressed with the Fed.
Hampton is nice too...always wanted one...but don't think it's gonna work for me.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips regarding the Federation IV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner