Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation or CEO...can't decide

Alchemy5150

New in Town
Yes, I'm about to be one of the many owners of an Akubra; however, I can't decide between a CEO or a Federation.

I really like the shape and the tallish crown of a CEO hat (reminds me of a freddy hat), but people on here seem to really like their Federations. The one thing that worries me about getting a Federation is that I'm not looking to buy an Indy hat. Don't get me wrong, I like the Indiana Jones style (I own a Raiders model made by Peters Bros.), but the shape of it makes me feel that I'm wearing a western hat at times, not a fedora. Basically, I like a tall crown, but I also like a bit of taper to it. I like a medium width brim, but I prefer a noir look to an Indy.

Any advice? Thanks guys

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
I have two Federations and a CEO. I really enjoy wearing all of them. Which one I pick up has to do with what I'm wearing and what color goes best with what. It also depends on the sun angle and what sort of mood I want to project.

Neither of my Feds is bashed like an Indy hat. The tawny fawn one is creased with an elongated teardrop (C-crown), and the moonstone one has a very conventional fedora crease (center crease and moderate front pinch).

DMAdv1.jpg
MnstneFedIVDlx1.jpg

I have the brims curled and contoured on the sides. They look great as moderately proportioned pre-War fedoras--wide brims but not too wide, tall crowns but not too tall.

The elongated teardrop bash put a bit of taper into the crown. With a conventional C-crown there was very little.

DMAdv3.jpg

My CEO is cruiser grey. It has a bit of a bluish tint to it, and it looks best with blue, black, and grey whereas the moonstone Fed is more neutral and also goes well with tans and browns. I did find out yesterday, however, that my CEO goes well with a sage green jacket I picked up as well. The CEO is a sort of badass hat. It has quite a bit of presence with its taller crown and broad brim. The downturn brim frames the face differently as well.

If you can pardon my ugly ol' mug, here are side-by-sides of the CEO and moonstone Fed IV Deluxe:

CEO_1-1.jpg
FedIVDlx15-1.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
People have a bad habit of thinking of the Federation as an Indy hat, even experienced hat wearers. It's about the same as all those annoying people who call ALL fedoras Indy hats. :eusa_doh: The only Indy hat is one designed to no other purpose.

Yes, the Fed IV was altered to favor the tastes of the Indy Fans. But the overall concept is a tall, relatively strait, open crowned hat with a sizable brim. Something that can be made into many things, pleasing multiple markets.

So the real question is, do you want a tapered crown or a straight crown? If you decide on the Federation, though, don't bash it like an Indy hat and blame the hat! lol If you're a closet "gotta have another Indy hat" guy, just man-up and admit it. :p

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I agree with others that the Fed only becomes an Indy hat when bashed like one. But as well as bash, colour comes in. If you have a moonstone grey Fed only very few idiots will say Indy, and the people who say that would say the same if you were wearing any brimmed hat.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

As a matter of fact, if you are a hardcore Indy purist, the Fed IV is NOT really the right block for an Indy hat; but it is a hat that can provide a closer enough alternative for a good price, hence its popularity and the misconception about it being just an Indy hat.

Beween the CEO and the Fed, I would say the choice is between a modern-form hat (lower crown, tapered sides) or more of a 40's hat (taller crown, straight sides, larger -and dimensionally cut- brim). Fairly different animals.

Regards!

Goose.

Practically Family
Was thinking of a Hampton before but speculating that the brim/crown are too short for my noggin.

So I started thinking of a CEO. But reading all the raves here about the Federation, that hat has entered into the decision equation.

So, now I too am waffling between a CEO and Federation.

Am concerned about the crown. I need more crown, as compared to my Sydney, to play with. Example being my Sydney...while I was thinking of doing a center dent, I can't because my head is too tall.

So, question is, I see brim dimensions on the HD site which is great, but...
is there a site or link here (I searched w/o success) that references the Akubra crown heights?
That may be my deciding factor in the "Taste great. Less filling" dilemma between the CEO and Fed.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, JohnnyB53, :eusa_clap thanks for the pics of your sombreros! Much appreciated.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Goose, the only luck I've had with Akybra dimensions is going to all the various vendors to see their listings. Some include crown measurements, some don't.

The CEO is listed on Everything Australian as having a 5 1/2" crown, but doesn't have a crown height for the Hampton. [huh]

I know from those who own them that the Federation IV has a 5 1/2" open crown.

Now, David Morgan lists the Sydney crown at 5 1/2" open, but the crown is much more tapered. The Fed would be fuller.

Hope that helps you some.

Goose.

Practically Family
Thank you very much N-B13...really appreciate it. Gets confusing going from site to site when you get up in years like me.

So, with the crowns being the same, I may go for the Federation in moonstone. That given the taper radius being less. That was great info.

BUT, not sold on the contrasting ribbon whereas the CEO has a matching ribbon with the crusier grey. Then the CEO has the bound edge which I am not sold on. What to do? What to do?

Plus, the CEO w/ it's taper may just end up looking like my Sydney as all I can do with that is a pinch fronted diamond bash due to all the brain in my noggin ;)

Well, it's good to have choices.

Where's 5150...hate 'jackining his thread and am wondering what he is gonna do?

But the thread is what it is...Federation or CEO and I really appreciate the input. Again, a sincere "thank you" Not-Bogart13.

BTW, I found on e-bay that the Hampton crown is 4". Bummer :(

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Since I have both a CEO and two Fed IVs, I'll weigh in on the measurements I just made before starting this post. The CEO in factory-creased form has a 4-1/4" height from the brim to the bottom of the front crease. At the side from the brim to the highest point on the crown is 5" even.

With simple center crease and mild front pinch, my moonstone Fed IV Deluxe crown height at front (to bottom of pinch) is 4" and at the highest point on the side is 4-5/8". According to the HatsDirect website, the Fed IV's open crown height is 5-5/8".

So the factory-bashed height of the CEO is higher than a typical bash of a Fed IV, but as the pics show, it is more tapered.

Functionally the two hats are different. I have to be more careful color-coordinating for the cruiser grey CEO. The moonstone Fed IV goes with just about everything. The CEO's wider downturn brim frames the face differently. From a practical standpoint it also sheds rain without pooling and shades the eyes from a lower sun angle.

As for picking one, I have to say I'm glad I have both. Between the two, if you want a hat that goes with just about anything, looks good with blue jeans and black leather jacket or navy pinstripe suit, or with tan or brown trenchcoat, pick the moonstone Fed IV.

If the extra sun protection is important go for the CEO. It can also look quite dressy, and yet with its safari profile you could probably wear it more comfortably with cargo shorts in the summer. It also looks great with jeans and black leather. And sage green.

Goose.

Practically Family
Well JohnnyB53...thanks again!!! Your pics really helped in the taper area too. As much as I like the CEO...genetically, I need the less tapered crown.

So, "better Fed than dead". You hat fans that are older than dirt, like me, may get that line ;)

I just can't get into the black band on the moonstone. Have always preferred band/felt match..but I think it I can get over it.

Will wait to see how my current order from HD goes and if there are no issues, a Fed seems likely next week.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:
I just can't get into the black band on the moonstone. Have always preferred band/felt match..but I think it I can get over it.

I say, try it. If you decide you don't like it, have it changed by one of our talented members in the business. ;)

Alchemy5150

New in Town
Thanks for the input guys. I finally decided on a Deluxe Federation. What sealed the deal for me was not the crown, but the brims. If a hat has more of a tapered crown, I like a smaller brim width. If the CEO had had a brim that was more around the 2" to 2 1/2", I'd have bought that one. After checking out what everybody had to say and what everybody has done with their Fed, I had to go with it.

Will post pics when it arrives.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
Well JohnnyB53...thanks again!!! Your pics really helped in the taper area too. As much as I like the CEO...genetically, I need the less tapered crown.

So, "better Fed than dead". You hat fans that are older than dirt, like me, may get that line ;)

Well, then, just to mess with your head, I'll remind you that you can get an open crown Akubra Squatter from David Morgan in moonstone with matching ribbon:

1610gry_detail.jpg

It's a straight-sided 5-1/4" open crown with a 3" snap brim. It looks very pre-war. It has a bound brim edge, however.

Personally, however, I think *everybody* should have a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe. I'm the opposite of you; I *wanted* a black ribbon, so it fit the bill perfectly.

Goose.

Practically Family
Cool beans on your ordering a Fed 5150.

As for me, now I'm stumped. Didn't realize the crown heights were diff between the Fed IV and the Fed IV Deluxe. If I got a Fed, I wanted the Deluxe but may have to go without the "Deluxe" moniker and associated features for the higher crown of the non-Deluxe model.

Thanks again...and regarding the Squatter...thought about that but the crown is lower than my Sydney.

Post pics 5150 when you can :)

Alchemy5150

New in Town
I'm definitely not going to TRY to bash it like an Indy, but that sort of bash IS similar to what I prefer. When it arrives, I'm going to go for an elongated tear-drop with a tight front pinch....something similar to how Bogey's hat was bashed in The Big Sleep.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Alchemy5150 said:
I'm definitely not going to TRY to bash it like an Indy, but that sort of bash IS similar to what I prefer. When it arrives, I'm going to go for an elongated tear-drop with a tight front pinch....something similar to how Bogey's hat was bashed in The Big Sleep.
Ah, but you can always claim non-Indyiness since you will prolly not turn the hat in the Indy fashion (for the asymmetrical brim).

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
Goose. said:
As for me, now I'm stumped. Didn't realize the crown heights were diff between the Fed IV and the Fed IV Deluxe.
NO NO NO! Don't change your plans; the crown measurements for the two Fed IV versions are the same. The Fed IV and Deluxe are made to the same specifications, as stated here. Either Fed IV has an OPEN CROWN height of 5-5/8" as shipped from Hats Direct. My personal Fed IV Deluxe has the CREASED crown height I stated previously from my own measurements, but it started out at an open crown height of 5-5/8", same as the standard one.

The final crown height is up to you and how you crease it. A C-crown will usually result in a lower overall crown height than a simple center dent, at least to the rear. A C-crown may actually have a higher front depending on the overall bash. A diamond crease will give you the straightest sides with the least taper when viewed straight on.

I like my standard Fed IV a lot, but I LOVE my Fed IV Deluxe. It's one of those things that feels special every time I put it on.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Goose. said:

I personally prefer the black contrasting band. Also, I think it looks more vintage and allows it to be matched more easily with different colours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran