Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Federation Problems, anybody?

fatwoul

Practically Family
OK, this is absolutely not a thread for hammering Federations. I love all of mine dearly. My Fed Dlx III is still serving me well, and has recently returned to regular circulation, after a little refurbishment.

I have two Fed Dlx IVs, one in dark brown, and the other in heritage fawn. The heritage one is as stiff as a board, the felt feels rougher, and has a wonderful crown with some reverse taper to it. If I didn't know better, I'd almost think I'd been sold a regular Fed, passed off as a Dlx. It is a size 58, and, unusually for a Federation, arrived fitting me exactly. It has since shrunk very little, which is a relief, but it does the occasional session on a stretcher to keep it my size. The stiffness of the felt means it has retained its shape very well, and I have no concerns about wearing it in the rain now and then. This is something I would not be happy doing regularly with my olf Fed III.

My other Fed IV (the brown one) however, has had its share of problems.

It is a 58, and needed to shrink down to my head size when I got it (I'm 58.4, but you know how oversized Feds tend to be). I shrank it down over a week, before shaping it at all. Initially, the hat was a fantastic shape, and was very comfortable, shrinking to exactly my size and then stopping, never to go further.

However, while out on a shoot a few weeks back, it got caught in a brief, and quite gentle, downpour. It was allowed to dry gradually, and showed no signs of any taper. However, over the following weeks, the whole hat became crooked. I can't explain it better than that. The entire hat began to drift around, as if it was turning itself. The pinch ended up an inch offset, and the brim adopted the sort of swoop Indy fans turn their hats in order to achieve. I'm too anal retentive to wear an assymmetric hat, so I did my best to restore the hat's symmetry. It just would not co-operate. Nothing I did could bring the hat back from its crooked weirdness.

Eventually, I had to go as far as dismantling the hat, and using my newly-made block and flange to completely reblock it. Most of the assymmetry has been eradicated, but now the crown seems quite low. I also see some taper, although this probably isn't helped by the hat sitting next to the heritage fawn, with its delightful mushroom top.

So I guess my question is, has anybody else noticed these variations in quality from the Fed IV? I know there was always a little inconsistency in the previous Feds.

Am I right in thinking the crown height of the Fed IV is significantly lower than the Fed III? If so, I might rethink getting a couple of regular Fed IVs (in grey and brown), since I prefer the taller crown.

What Akubras currently have the higher crowns of the Fed III? Much as I hate brim trimming, I would do it if I thought I could get a higher crowned hat.

Maybe I should just email Mssrs Moore and Fawcett about my long overdue custom hats. :eek:

RBH

Bartender
Great hearing from ya Fats!!!
Sorry about the Federation trouble. I only have the one Federation [Regular] and have had no problems with it orther than a little color bleaching after I first got it. It has went through many a rain with no ill effects so far.
Please keep us updated on you referb.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
From what I understood (I can't check as I've only got a Fed4) the Fed4 crown was lowered compared to the Fed3.
It was a bit large initially (strange as it's supposed to be half a size smaller than indicated), but after bashing and some wearing it fits fine.
It's a regular moonstone Fed4, and the felt feels really soft, so I don't feel the need for a DLX. I like it, and the crown is high enough for me.
My Akubra's have done excellent in the rain so far.
Have you informed Hatsdirect or Akubra of your problems?

Feraud

Bartender
fatwoul said:
It is a 58, and needed to shrink down to my head size when I got it (I'm 58.4, but you know how oversized Feds tend to be).
This is not my impression at all. My Fed Deluxe was a dead on size.
[huh]

fatwoul

Practically Family
RBH said:
Great hearing from ya Fats!!!
Sorry about the Federation trouble. I only have the one Federation [Regular] and have had no problems with it orther than a little color bleaching after I first got it. It has went through many a rain with no ill effects so far.
Please keep us updated on you referb.

Thanks Rusty. I was supposed to post pictures of these hats weeks ago, together with my new block and flange. Now I'm working all week, taking those pictures always ends up feeling like too much trouble. :eek:

DrSpeed said:
From what I understood (I can't check as I've only got a Fed4) the Fed4 crown was lowered compared to the Fed3...

I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, but I couldn't find it. Thanks.

DrSpeed said:
...It was a bit large initially (strange as it's supposed to be half a size smaller than indicated), but after bashing and some wearing it fits fine.
It's a regular moonstone Fed4, and the felt feels really soft, so I don't feel the need for a DLX. I like it, and the crown is high enough for me.
My Akubra's have done excellent in the rain so far...

The best hat I have for bad weather is my Fieldmaster. I didn't wear it for a while because I wasn't happy with the shape I'd put in it, but I used my plastic hatshaper to return the crown to open, and then reshaped it. Now it's the only hat I pick up if its raining before I leave.

That hat is a real delight to work on, because the felt is so thick you can't hurt it. What're more, the crown is so huge, getting the hatshaper up inside it is no problem at all.

DrSpeed said:
...Have you informed Hatsdirect or Akubra of your problems?

Not yet. I was planning on talking to Ron about it if/when I decide to order some regular IVs.

indycop said:
After a couple of Federations you will have paid for that custom. :)

Very good point. I might as well just go ahead and ask Mr Moore to make me a TVA. Beautiful hat. How's yours holding up, Rusty?

Feraud said:
This is not my impression at all. My Fed Deluxe was a dead on size.
[huh]

As with my Heritage Fawn IV. But with the previous Feds it was always understood that the sizes ran large. There's plenty of reference to that on both here and COW, and was certainly my experience with both my III, and my brown IV.

Colby Jack said:
Good to hear from ya Fats!...Sorry to hear about your problem Fed...I thought you already had a custom...[huh]

Nope not yet. I'm still waiting for my AB from Steve. Does anybody know what the wait time on them is at the moment? I paid for mine August 3rd 2007, so I was expecting it to materialise sometime soon, but I haven't heard a peep out of Steve. [huh]

I'm hoping that will become my "go-to" hat when I get it. Based on what everyone says, it should be.

RBH

Bartender
fatwoul said:
Thanks Rusty.....

Very good point. I might as well just go ahead and ask Mr Moore to make me a TVA. Beautiful hat. How's yours holding up, Rusty?

The TVA has become an old friend. The felt has softened and held the shape wonderfully. Mike got to see it a few months ago and was so surprised how well it has broken in.
Go ahead.... I would love to see another TVA out there!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have owned no fewer than 4 Federation III's and a Campdraft. All were sized a little large. I know this because I'm a small-end 60, but they are all size 59's. So, in my experience they run slightly large, but not very. I hear some VI's run even bigger.

The height, I know, was lowered. However, the Campdraft still has the same crown height as the Fed III. So, you have that option.

As for the weird crown distortions, maybe it had something to do with your initial shrinking treatment. I don't know what you did to the hat originally, but any attempt to shrink a hat in a do-it-yourself way runs the danger of comprimising the leather and felt, as I understand it.

Edward

Bartender
No personal experience of the Fed IV as of yet, but I've been following them with interest as I'm very happy with my MkIIIs (Reg in Carbon grey - which I'm actually wearing today, as it hapens - and a brown Deluxe). The IV is, as I recall, marginally smaller round the brim than the III. As to crown height, there's half an inch in it: open crown, the III was 6", while the IV is 5.5". I doubt that that half inch would make enough of a difference that most of us could spot it without looking carefully and a/bing against a III.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
NB would you say if you are a 61 in a fedIII then you would be a 61 in a Campdraft also or do they run different between models?

My experience was that they ran about the same in terms of size. I find there Outback/Cowboy hats run smaller than the Fed, though.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
My experience was that they ran about the same in terms of size. I find there Outback/Cowboy hats run smaller than the Fed, though.
Ok good as I plan to pick up a Campdraft sometime in the not too distant future.:)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Colby Jack said:
IC...what color are ya getting...the tawny or silver belly?
What ever color I would not have to wait 3 months for!:rolleyes:

Robin, I noticed my regular fedIII has not tapered shrunk or changed shape other than me changing it from a centerdent to a diamond crease. I don't wear it much at all anymore but have worn it mowing and sweat plenty in it. Still looks new actually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy