Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Art (Paintings..etc depicting a vintage Fedoraesque scene)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Here are a few that have caught my eye in the past, capturing a vintage moment. Most are Jack Vettriano (The Glaswegian Artist), but the one with the sea of fedoras and the old man contemplating at the front is by an Argentinian artist called Perez.

So what Fedoraesque art has captured your imagination...?

seasisdesh.jpg

romanticq.jpg

MIRRORMANQ.jpg

lazypaper.jpg

FabianPerez-UntitledII.jpg

_40019921_vettrianoedith.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
PADDY said:
Here are a few that have caught my eye in the past, capturing a vintage moment. Most are Jack Vettriano (The Glaswegian Artist), but the one with the sea of fedoras and the old man contemplating at the front is by an Argentinian artist called Perez.

So what Fedoraesque art has captured your imagination...?

romanticq.jpg

That's my favorite!!!
I like the hat and his hand on her face. :)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Vettriano is a mixed bag for me.
How about Edward Hopper's "Nighthawks".
His "Chop Suey" is a good one for women's cloches.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

GOK

One Too Many
Vettriano is one of my all time favourite artists. Did you know that the National Gallery refuses to exhibit him on the grounds that he is not considered a 'serious artist'? I could go on and on about his work for ages - there is so much depth to it! :D

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
Is that the same image they show on TCM all the time? It looks very similar. Nice.
Yes, that's where I recognized it :)

This is one of my Vettriano faves, being a big fan of swing:

vettriano_competitive_dancers.jpg

got it on a 2006 calendar - tried to track it down to buy it as a print but couldn't find it ANYWHERE on the web or otherwise; apparently it must have been a calendar exclusive. Wish I could "supersize" it. Called "Competition Dancers - Turniertanzer, 1997".

(Anyone know where I can get a bigger print?? not homemade/bootleg)

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Vettriano

Jack Vettriano is one of my favourite artists. I had a nice Vettriano calendar a few years ago but when I moved flats it disappeared.

I am also a great fan of pin-ups:

336183.jpg

336185.jpg

I also have these posters which I like very much:

336172.jpg

336177.jpg

I like these old airplanes.

Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures.

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
There's no question that Jack Vettriano is a skillful designer & a talented colorist, but his paintings are too formulaic for me, like they were originally done as covers for a series of inter-war romance novels.

Not that I could do any better. In fact, that's why I gave up on an art career & ended up in the engineering department at the the phone company: because I couldn't do any better. My work was polished & superficially glamorous, but there was absolutely nothing under the surface, and I knew it. I just didn't realize that everyone else knew it, too. I finally hung up my brushes for good after a studio critique wherein one of our professors said "Mag, someday they'll invent a robot to paint this stuff. You better have a Plan B." I was so mad I was ready to slug him, but of course, he was right.

Anyway, these days, I buy art instead of trying to create it. Here's a Sam Rosenthal painting that I fell in love with because of the light falling across the old guy's jaw & sweater & the shadow on the stucco wall and because of the artist's wonderfully confident brushwork. And yes, there's a hat, but here, it's not a signifier of tropical glamour, it's just a hat, and an an old hat at that. But I'd swear this guy--Sam, the artist, who's a heck of a nice guy--studied under Edward Hopper. It even looks like Hopper's own hat. Fortunately for me, I was in the right place at the right time, and was therefore able to buy this painting for myself. On the other hand, I didn't get any lunch for the next six months. But then, six months after that, I found this place. How's that for luck?
SamRosenthalptg.jpg

Tom Mac

New in Town
One of my favourites

Brent Lynch. He did the painting I'm using for my avatar; Cigar Bar.
Lynch_Cigar_Bar_W-800620.jpg

I became aware of Mr. Lynch when I saw this picture in a store:

jazzduetvocal.jpg

They wanted a horrible price for it because it was already framed, but then I found out that it had a companion picture, the two of which formed a scene:
JazzDuet1.jpg

I would love to get these two pictures, but it seems I would have to send off to Germany to get them, and the german companies don't say if they ship the the USA or not....

vonwotan

Practically Family
Never did find that memory stick, but here are a few I had on my old Zip disks...

Man in Green Suit, 1920, Edouard Halouze
394108130_55701aa52a_m.jpg

Intellectual Aremenians au Cafe, 1939, Edgar Chahine
394108132_a681f443db_m.jpg

George M Cohan, Al Frueh
394108129_ddbd4a2f19_m.jpg

Franklin P Adams, Will Cotton
394108127_45a2875854_m.jpg

Eddie Cantor, Frederick J. Garner
394108126_c3022549eb_m.jpg

Dapper Gentleman, c1905, Georges Goursat
394108124_0c917c1ecd_m.jpg