Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora for my face shape (pics)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good advice. Up close, my face looks rounder than it actually is, and hats on my head look like domes, even though they're straight-sided and flat at the top from far away. Have someone take a picture of you from farther away, and we'll get a better idea of what to consider.

Good luck to you, I hope these guys can help you out.

The Good

Call Me a Cab

jbucklin

Practically Family
I think the FedIV looks great on you---you wear it very well. :eusa_clap The proportions seem to match your face and it may look more natural on you than most of the Fed wearers here at the Lounge. Just my $.02.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm thinking outside the box a bit, and I'm experimenting with the idea of purchasing a wool, tweed flat cap or newsboy cap, perhaps brown or lighter grey. It's intended for those days or occasions I wouldn't be quite up to wearing a fedora, but a traditional cap would make me stand out a bit less, and for more casual use as well as pairing it with a sport coat. Do you think I might pull it off, or no? I'm thinking of maybe purchasing a cheaper one alongside my next fedora purchase.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
danofarlington said:
What would a stingy brim look like on you? They're sort of for the youthful crowd, which I'm not but you are. Got any photos of that?

No I've never owned a stingy brim fedora, but I almost bought a cheap one at my campus when they were selling a bunch at a stall. I decided to wait until I could research the right kind of fedora for myself, and I decided to go with wider brims, but stingy brims still interest me somewhat. I'd gladly wear a nice fur felt with about a two inch brim, I've got nothing against them.

fenris

One of the Regulars
J B said:
No I've never owned a stingy brim fedora, but I almost bought a cheap one at my campus when they were selling a bunch at a stall. I decided to wait until I could research the right kind of fedora for myself, and I decided to go with wider brims, but stingy brims still interest me somewhat. I'd gladly wear a nice fur felt with about a two inch brim, I've got nothing against them.

A 2-inch brim would be considered a stingy brim for some here, but if you take a long look at the stingy brim offerings that most teens are wearing even a 2-inch would look like a wide brim compared to theirs... hehe.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
fenris said:
A 2-inch brim would be considered a stingy brim for some here, but if you take a long look at the stingy brim offerings that most teens are wearing even a 2-inch would look like a wide brim compared to theirs... hehe.

Ain't that the truth. :rolleyes:

theinterchange

One Too Many
I voted for the moonstone Federation. In all honesty, I think the silverbelly Campdraft with your skin tone would make you look washed out. [I know, it did me unless I wore it with certain colors]

I could see the newsboy cap, of course the Federation you're pictured in looks great, and a stingy like the Whippet would also look good. Have you thought about a tawny fawn Federation?

Randy

::Edit:: I just now saw the second batch of photos you posted, and still stick with what I said before. And, even if you think you're wearing it a bit high, that Fed looks good on you.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you could rock a stingy brim, though I don't know if you'd feel comfortable in it or not.
Here's my Top Three Suggestions:
1. Akubra Hampton or Whippet, favoring the Whippet
2. Newsboy cap
3. or another Federation IV.

Someone mentioned tawny fawn...I'd normally say that would wash you out, but with the wide dark brown ribbon on it, I'd say it'd look good. Oh, and go search for IndyCop's photo of his Tawny Fawn FedIV with a bound brim. It is one of my favorite photos on this entire forum. I'm sorry I can't find it, because it truly is an inspiring photo.

...and keep in mind I've only been active on this forum since April, and chances are that I likely have not the foggiest idea of what I'm talking about :).

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I have kind of an oval-ish face with just a bit of a double chin...The result of weight gain (though I intend to lose the weight and get my angular features back). I was curious if bigger or small brims go better with rounder faces?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Generally, rounder faces are better off with wider brims. Conversely, narrow faces do better with narrower brims.

My best advice to you wouldbe to find a local hat shop and try on some different hats to see what looks best on you. You're in Brooklyn, but if there are none near you, try JJ Hat Center or Worth & Worth, both in the city.

Count of Mavrovo

New in Town
Hey all! My first post here, so hopefully I’m posting on the right section of the forum.

I’m not new to hats, I've been wearing them for my whole life, but I’d like to get some other opinions as to what styles will best suit my face shape.

To begin, my style tends to be eclectic, but generally I wear formal wool suits, tweed sport coats, blazers etc., so perhaps more formal styles of hat will work better.

I’m 6’4 and have an athletic build. My hat size is 7 3/4 or 62 cm. Currently I have quite a number of hats, but the two I wear the most are two Akubra numbers — a brown Fed IV and a carbon grey Stylemaster. But I’m open to suggestion.

I also do wear quite a lot of linen suits in summer and am looking to get a decent Panama hat. But again, I’m open to suggestion as to what shapes would best work for my face shape. I think I have a long face, but I could be wrong. I’ve also got a ton of hair, so I usually find wearing a baseball cap doesn’t work for me — only two so far in my life have worked.

Thanks guys! Looking forward to being a part of your community. Attached are two pictures of me, so hopefully they’ll give you an idea.

Attachments

• 646E657A-6D72-45F8-B1EE-C1485FA94023.jpeg
    646E657A-6D72-45F8-B1EE-C1485FA94023.jpeg
    792.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 88F75B78-A8AD-4A20-A906-B4C337708C84.jpeg
    88F75B78-A8AD-4A20-A906-B4C337708C84.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 60
I suggest wear whatever the hell you want except perhaps a Pork Pie.....as no one except Van Morrison looks good in Pork Pie and even he doesn't wear them anymore. My perspective is that unless you have a head shape that is an extreme outlier you can wear whatever you like, whatever you feel comfortable wearing and with whatever outfit. It is all a matter of style and confidence. I have a collection of somewhere north of 60 hats.......all colours, multiple styles and wear the hat I feel like wearing that day with whatever I feel like wearing. I have no firm rules of which hat with which outfits.......I just wear the hat. So if it 'breaks' any fashion norms I can live with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko