Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora for my face shape (pics)

carter

I'll Lock Up
The Librarian said:
As said it looks a bit big for you. There have been topics on here that discuss shrinking a hat. Just be careful. I'd also prefer a contrasting ribbon on it. Too much of one color leaves it looking undefined.
Marty

I agree with Marty regarding color and contrast. Also, your beard color and the color of the hat are very nearly the same in the photo. Try some contrasting colors and a higher stance with the hat. You may like what you see.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
With my minimal experience, I'll go with instinct instead and recommend a porkpie. Something about your head/face shape tells me it's look grand on stage.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
To look really professional, however, it has to appear tightly molded. You don't want a shallow look with a porkpie. The channel has to be narrow and the dome sharply defined. Like this.
selentino_porkpie_MED.jpg

Several shapings will probably do it. Maybe some sort of household tool would help.

Octavius

New in Town
I would like to try the pork pie with the hat I have now, but there's a seam that runs along the top of the hat. I think I'll look for a hat without the top seam. They seem to be a lot more versatile.
Thanks again everyone for the ideas

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Porkpies come in several varieties: domed, flat, and with and without ridged dome, plus the less usual "flat tops" (non-telescope crowns) and "pinched front porkpie". Surf a little and you will see examples. Take a look at the "Show off your porkpies" thread here, and peruse some hat vendors' websites.

Regards!

pplepic

Familiar Face
Hat Look

Personally, I think that hat and the way you wear it is great for what you describe. I can just see you up on the bandstand with that hat on, and maybe shades, too. Keep trying and you'll find something that you love.:eusa_clap

ken100

Familiar Face
I reckon a Frank Sinartra (you know who I mean) straw could look pretty cool or a pork pie will kill em! Your first purchase i think is too large for you.
Ken

Viper Man

Banned
Fletch said:
To look really professional, however, it has to appear tightly molded. You don't want a shallow look with a porkpie. The channel has to be narrow and the dome sharply defined. Like this.
selentino_porkpie_MED.jpg

Several shapings will probably do it. Maybe some sort of household tool would help.

Personally, I prefer to shape my porkpies by hand. I like the more casual look this gives as compared to an actual porkpie "block". I recently had my Stetson 15 3X cleaned and blocked at Optimo and Graham confided that he was also a fan of the hand creased porkpie. It's all preference I guess.

Here's a shot of Art Fawcett's hand creased porkpie, the "Uptown"...

318035265.jpg

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Mashing the hat...

Gene... You're onto something here. Us younger guys grew up wearing two types of hats... ball and ski. Style dictated that we should wear our ball caps low over the eyes, so it only seems natural to shove our fedoras down low, like a ball cap. But, I've learned that fedoras aren't meant to hide your face, unless you're actually trying to hide your face.

HarpPlayerGene said:
Man, hats are so much an extension of one's personality.

I'm a wider brim guy myself, but that's owing mostly to being in my forties, and having a love for both black and white cops & robbers movies and westerns.

For younger fellas lately - and depending on the kind of music you guys perform - the stingier brims are more commonly accepted as the mode.

The thing with your purchase, though, is that is seems to be plugged too far onto your head. I'd pull it up a touch and tip it back a little too. Then try rocking over to one side some for a little 'attitude'. Also, try it with the brim up all around. That's a more "I don't take myself too seriously" look that girls kinda' like and that some guys can really wear well. Not me, but some guys...

G'luck!

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Octavius said:
Hi
I bought this fedora to ue as part of a stage look for a band I play with. I'm thinking about getting another one that would maybe better suit my face shape. What would you suggest I look for in a new hat, based on the photos?
fedorafront.jpg

fedoraside.jpg

It sits a little low on your head, and maybe a little too far forward. I don't think that color suits you.
You probably would look good with a Porkpie!

I would look at a black or dark blue hat. I too prefer a larger brim.

What size is your head?

Clay

Octavius

New in Town
Yeah I did try to wear it like a ball cap. I can wear it higher on my head without it being too loose, but I'll probably look for something a bit smaller for the next one.
The hat actually is black, but the lighting when I took the picture wasn't good, so it gave it that orange colour.
My ball caps are all 7 1/8 and I've measured my head to be around 22"

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
kabuto said:
I'd say the hat's too big for you. It should sit higher on your head and more above the ears.

The crown is kind of shapeless, almost "open crowned," and could use a more defined center dent and side pinch.

Like the others I prefer more of a wider brim, but I haven't seen that style worn by musicians (I live in Japan, so styles may be different). You should probably "go with the flow" and look at what others wear in the context you will be wearing it. It might look a bit "off" to have a wide brimmed Raiders/Bogart look in a band, depending on what your musical genre is. Musician hats, outside of country western, tend to be narrow ("stingy") brimed, because the style seems to have crept in via hip-hop which got it from late '50s jazz musicians, when wider brims were shunned as "dad's hat."

There is something to be said for wearing what is the current "uniform" but I think there is benefit to being different, especially if you are a musician. After all the first guys that started wearing those stingy brims on stage didn't do it because anyone else was, they were doing something different. So I'd say try a wider brim and taller crown and make it your style.

Octavius

New in Town
Lensmaster said:
There is something to be said for wearing what is the current "uniform" but I think there is benefit to being different, especially if you are a musician. After all the first guys that started wearing those stingy brims on stage didn't do it because anyone else was, they were doing something different. So I'd say try a wider brim and taller crown and make it your style.

I agree. I don't want to be the same as everyone else. After looking at photos here and through image searches, I think I prefer a slightly wider brim too. I've never been the type that follows trends anyways!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Which hat most suits my facial proportions?

I think I'm in need of a bit of assistance in regards to my next hat purchase.

http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html

Based on the Miller Hats chart in the link, what type of fedora would most suit my facial structure and proportions? I am trying to place myself in a category, but with little certainty so far. Which case do you believe I resemble most, based on the following pictures below?

th_DSC00043.jpg

th_DSC00026.jpg

th_DSC00036.jpg

th_DSC00037.jpg

Hatless:

th_DSC00038.jpg

th_DSC00039.jpg

For the record, I am a frequent Federation wearer, and I think I can pull it off fine. I get complimented on it as well sometimes, so I think I probably can do the straight-sided taller crown look convincingly enough, you may believe otherwise though. I'm also considering the silverbelly Akubra Campdraft as my next purchase, though the moonstone Federation is in consideration too. With all of these factors in mind (facial proportions, preferences, etc), should I go for the Campdraft, Federation, or something else entirely?

Bustercat

A-List Customer
I think he posted that in his first post :)

I think you look most like a number 2 or a number 10. Closer to 2.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I myself have a hard time with this question, as I can't really describe my face shape. It's sort of like a square face, short/round hybrid. I really can't describe it, even in pictures.

As for you, I'm inclined to say that both hats will work for you, depending on how you bash them. The Campdraft, as I understand, is just a smidge more hat than the Fed. I'd say that, since you already have a Fed, go for the Campdraft. It'll add some variety with the bound brim and narrow ribbon.

I myself would have gotten a campdraft, but with my dark hair and pale skin, all the colors of the Campdraft are just too bright for me.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Bustercat said:
I think he posted that in his first post :)

I think you look most like a number 2 or a number 10. Closer to 2.

I agree. I suggest mixing the advice of these two and look for a happy medium. Maybe slight taper, thinner ribbons, and moderate brims?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk