Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Fedora Hats Are Rarely Sexy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvthatlulu

Suspended
Ada Veen said:
I can't believe that we have been discussing for eleven pages the opinion of one out of the six billion people in the world who happens to not like fedoras! lol

If we are going to talk about one person's opinion, why not (at random) pdxvintagette?

She likes federas. You like fedoras... we could have 11 pages of what is good about fedoras. :)

Let's see...383 posts to the The #@*%?/ Thread and counting.

823 to the Stream of Conciousness Thread and counting.

1610 posts to the The Single & Ridiculously Good-Lookin' Room thread and counting.

And you're upset because here in the Fedora Lounge someone's posting about someone who doesn't like.....fedoras? [huh]

crazylegsmurphy

One of the Regulars
This is what I posted...sure...it pissed me off....

To start off, yes, I signed up just to comment on this article.
The simple fact of the matter is that making a statement like this, and then using examples of some random celebs is a pretty weak argument all round. To say that fedora's aren't sexy is like arguing that those "throw a dart at the tattoo art wall" butterfly tattoos automatically make a girl attractive and “fun”.

No one can throw out a blanket statement like that and expect to be taken seriously. First of all, there are a million different people, with a million different tastes, so even the "socks and sandals" guy can be sexy to the right person. More importantly however, fedoras are indeed sexy regardless of your bias.

The reason for this is that not only do these hats have a history of being from a time when class actually meant something, but unlike the ratty baseball caps, or the beanies with skulls on them, the basic style of these hats (even the slightly off shaped ones) have a lot of esthetically pleasing features about them.

Put a well dressed man in a fedora, and he will stand out, in a good way among others. I know this because when I am dressed in my 40’s pinstripe suit and my grey fedora, I get more comments, conversations; phone numbers, and smiles than I do when I don’t. Sure, I have had people laugh, and give me rude comments, but strangely enough they come from the boys that “that type of girl” might consider “sexy.” It appears that just because a guy takes the advice of some random columnist and pops his collar, doesn’t always equate to a genuinely sexy person.

With that said, I personally feel that your bias towards “white people” wearing fedoras shows that you’re not really giving advice based on any kind of fact, but advice based on what you, and you alone deem sexy. Personally, some of the men you have shown aren’t what I would consider sexy regardless of the fedora, so I’m not entirely sure what makes your opinion the end all be all. To be fair you do give some explanation as to why you don’t think the particular fedoras work on in those examples, but I don’t think you can equate the lack of “sexy” to be solely based on the fedora.

For the most part your comparison photos are not comparable to begin with. Colin Farrell looks like a hobo in the first picture regardless of the fedora, but in the second he is lit well, made up, photoshopped, and color corrected. The same goes for almost all the other photos. This is the same as saying that the only reason they look sexy at all in the other pictures is because they furrowed their brows.

Anyway, to all the men out there reading this article…as you know, everyone has their own opinion of what is sexy. Some people think Justin Timberlake is sexy, some people think that hard core bikers are sexy; and some even think that stereotypical nerds are sexy. The point is that if you get bogged down with what some random person is telling you, then you’re doing no better than the teens who are starving themselves at home to try and look like the actress on the cover of “Teen” magazine.

Wear your fedoras with pride, and wear them well. I can guarantee you that walking with your head tall, looking sharp will turn more heads and get you more smiles, than the guy who is standing next to you, trying to pick up the girl who wrote this article, and trust me, in the end you’ll be better off that it worked out that way.

And to the author of this article…if you want to make a statement about fedoras, perhaps it might make more sense to address the real issue which is helping men to pick hats that suit their face. I am sure I read somewhere in your responses that this would take a long time to do, but my answer to that is first of all, if you’re going to spend so much time responding to an already ridiculous statement, why not use that time accordingly in the first place. Secondly, for anyone who knows anything about fedoras and their history, they would know that there are basic rules that can be followed for shape, height, color, ribbon size, material, and the like.

Perhaps instead of throwing out demeaning comments towards the people of the fedora lounge you might want to spend a bit of time becoming educated on the subject, because in the end it’s really hard to become a respected advice columnist when you respond with insults and inaccurate information.

Jeff

Ada Veen

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
Six billion people don't like fedoras?

:eusa_doh:

sorry, bad grammar on my part! lol

"one person who does't like fedoras" out of "six billion people in the world"

luvtatlulu said:
Let's see...383 posts to the The #@*%?/ Thread and counting.

823 to the Stream of Conciousness Thread and counting.

1610 posts to the The Single & Ridiculously Good-Lookin' Room thread and counting.

And you're upset because here in the Fedora Lounge someone's posting about someone who doesn't like.....fedoras?

oh yeah... if you put it like that I suppose it makes sense! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner