Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Lounge Features - Report from Aero Leather Trade Week - By Craig Brown

Graemsay

Practically Family
I do think the Aeromarine would be a winner with handwarmers.

Source: Now or Never blog

I like the Hudson and Northeaster, though I'd prefer the simpler hand pockets of the Cropduster. There used to be a Cropduster Long, which I once saw in a since-closed clothes shop on Cockburn Street in Edinburgh, and that was very similar to new, longer designs, with a detachable pair of belts. For a long time that was one of my favourite Aero designs.

But what really caught my eye was the Half Belt in Deer Suede. If this is the hide I think it is, it's like a thick Chamois. An Aeromarine or Sonoma Cafe Racer could be something special.

And don't get it lined. The reverse of the deerskin is natural, as it's only dyed on the surface.

Last edited:
Thanks! As you know, we have plenty access to rain around here. Like right now. And yesterday. Aaaand the day before that. etc etc. :D
I've read that...Looks similar to my newest jacket. No wonder you are keepin' it. Very difficult hide to photograph. Thought about going to a friend's place and have him do it. Want to see more of your Aero. Is the vest Ken is wearing the same hide? It looks very cool. And I'm not a vest guy. Nice to not have to worry about sleeves lol

Source: Now or Never blogI like the Hudson and Northeaster, though I'd prefer the simpler hand pockets of the Cropduster. There used to be a Cropduster Long, which I once saw in a since-closed clothes shop on Cockburn Street in Edinburgh, and that was very similar to new, longer designs, with a detachable pair of belts. For a long time that was one of my favourite Aero designs.But what really caught my eye was the Half Belt in Deer Suede. If this is the hide I think it is, it's like a thick Chamois. An Aeromarine or Sonoma Cafe Racer could be something special.And don't get it lined. The reverse of the deerskin is natural, as it's only dyed on the surface.
Love the Sonoma too. Wonder if we could get zipped sleeves? I can't wear a bike jacket without them. That steer is lovely!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, that is a helluva good looking jacket. I think the Dustbowl and Aeromarine are my favorites, maybe with the nod going in the direction of the Dustbowl because of the longer body length since I might look even more dorky in a waist coat. :eeek: The website shows moleskin as the lining of choice but would be interested in hearing more about the Japanese horsehide skin. I wouldn't even think about any alterations on the sleeves until 6 months or 10,000 kilometers, whichever occurs last. :D I recommend taking a shower in your birthday suit, not while wearing your new Dustbowl, in spite of what wdw says. :pound:

Sloan, I meant to ask you: What is the difference in how the zipper looks as compared to a "standard" zipper?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've read that...Looks similar to my newest jacket. No wonder you are keepin' it. Very difficult hide to photograph. Thought about going to a friend's place and have him do it. Want to see more of your Aero. Is the vest Ken is wearing the same hide? It looks very cool. And I'm not a vest guy. Nice to not have to worry about sleeves lol
Ken's vest was the battered brown, which you really need to get a sample of to appreciate fully. It's kind of: oil pull plus-plus, a lot of tones that don't show up in photos. As you say, the vest is seriously nice and this is from someone who's never worn a waistcoat in my life!

Last edited:
Ken's vest was the battered brown, which you really need to get a sample of to appreciate fully. It's kind of: oil pull plus-plus, a lot of tones that don't show up in photos. As you say, the vest is seriously and this is from someone who's never worn a waistcoat in my life!
OK, when the dust settles, I'm beggin' Holly for some new samples!Don't write off the shower man. lol

IXL

One Too Many
Here's another new one:

style19.jpg

;):D

Hubba, Hubba.........

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
Could this completely usher the shunned waistcoat back into the western male fashion sphere?

It does have a slightly crankish look to it, to me (but that could just be the light).

SJ

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, the hookless zipper is much more 'stripped down' and minimal, and a really interesting period detail, though you have to make sure it's locked in place before pulling it up - I'll take a photo of it tomorrow, it's easier to show than explain. I don't think Aero are going to be moving towards Japanese leather - there's a lot of different hides in the factory, this may have just been a leftover than Ken liked. Mind you, given the interest in it... ;)

Fanch, the hookless zipper is much more 'stripped down' and minimal, and a really interesting period detail, though you have to make sure it's locked in place before pulling it up - I'll take a photo of it tomorrow, it's easier to show than explain. I don't think Aero are going to be moving towards Japanese leather - there's a lot of different hides in the factory, this may have just been a leftover than Ken liked. Mind you, given the interest in it... ;)
The vintage zips can be hell. But they look good and are supposed to get better with use. Excited to see more f the Japanese hides!

garzo

One of the Regulars
Great review article Craig. Are you one of the models in the photos?

The Union Jack design on the late War Irvin is interesting but I have never seen it on originals so it is not really authentic. The jacket is a vast improvement on previous Aero Irvins.

Just out of curiosity, what were the problems with the previous Aero Irvins? I've never had an Irvin and don't know much about the originals, but I would be very interested to hear what the improvements and differences on the new version are compared to the older models.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The previous Irvin's arms were too 'tubular', way off pattern compared to the tapered arms on the originals, while the zips were standard Aero ones. The fleece was also wrong - it was an ironed, teddy-bearish shearling as opposed to a more accurate curly type. Alexander Leathers have stuck with the old Aero type, so you can see it there and compare. Both are phenomenally warm though.

majormajor

One Too Many
IMAG0062_zpsf7424aaa.jpg

Hell's bells. I have no idea why it's adding the thumbnail. It's a bit of a rubbish pic. I'll get a decent set done when I'm back in Glasgow - the tartan's really nice, as are the details: triple brown top stitching, tartan-lined cuffs etc. Will need some advice on setting the collar though. It's a 38, I'm usually a 36, but this is obviously a slim style. the shoulders are on the nail, the length's perfect for me and with the new-style straps cinched, its got a great shape - there's enough room to wear a light sweater under it. The cuffs are perhaps a little long at the moment, but I'll be interested to see how the softer horse wrinkles up and if there's any shortening, before getting them adjusted. Ishmael might be able to help with that.

Nice one!

A shame Ken hasn't got much more shinki. There are ALOT of folks who would fall over themselves to buy it!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo