Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedora Towns

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I think it is access. In most cities there are no Hat stores anymore. An the only place to purchase a hat is Target, Dillards or JC Penneys. The average person would not know to look on the internet and most would not pay over 30 dollars for a hat. It comes down to a sense of style and in today's world of casual wear a hat is for Pimps. A ball cap is something to wear to support a ball team. Winter brings out the hats from the closets where they sit till the next fall. I just encourage other heat wears when I run into them an say way to go.

fmw

One Too Many
I don't know. Do they buy baseball caps in stores? Honestly, I don't know. It seems to me they must buy them on line since I don't see baseball caps where I shop.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
See the occasional Borsalino on a weekend walkabout almost in any of the more upmarket areas in Tokyo, plenty of lower end hats all over the place, and fashion fedoras everywhere!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't know. Do they buy baseball caps in stores? Honestly, I don't know. It seems to me they must buy them on line since I don't see baseball caps where I shop.

If you go into most malls, at least in this area, you will find a shop with a name like Lids, or something like that, which sells fitted, flat bill baseball caps that you are not supposed to take the stickers and tags off to wear.
I don't think that normal baseball caps are ever bought. They just spawn in basements, attics, and closets.

Big_e

Practically Family
Here in Dallas, you rarely see hats being worn. I do see more hats in Oak Cliff and then, only in a small part of Oak Cliff. It seems that black men are more prone to wear fedoras but they are usually the cheap wool crushable types.
Ernest

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Around Los Angeles, I sometimes see men wearing fedoras, and more commonly even flat caps. I don't go out too much, but two out of maybe five times, I tend to notice something. I would imagine that there are probably more felt hat wearers in Los Angeles county than most parts of southern California.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Around Los Angeles, I sometimes see men wearing fedoras, and more commonly even flat caps. I don't go out too much, but two out of maybe five times, I tend to notice something. I would imagine that there are probably more felt hat wearers in Los Angeles county than most parts of southern California.

You're likely right about the last statement, perhaps due to all of the men here who are in "the business." And even though L.A. has lost a lot of its old culture (and gained a lot of which is not so desirable), some of it lingers on. (Hey, films set in L.A. helped to define Film Noir, and when you drive downtown at night, especially after a rain, you can easily slip back a few decades...)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Well there is a whole business of Fitted Caps that is simular to the market for Fedora's back in its heyday. An is much larger that any of the current hat business today. I point you to a website that covers the Fitted Ballcap market. An for style the Fitted Lid market is very wide and covers the whole world now. I was surprized when I first found this blog and being a grafic design person love to see all the design and talent displayed there.
I watch and purchase hats that I love there also. http://www.strictlyfitteds.com/blog/
Now I am a baby boomer so most of the stuff is younger than what I would be able to pull off but. There are young guys out there that are just hooked on wearing hats as we here at the fedora lounge. Now if we could get them slowly shifted into where in Fedora's we might have something going on . New Era the largest hat maker of this style does have a line of stingy brims called EK that shows they are thinking about they future of all these Hat crazy young men and wanting to keep selling to them. http://shop.neweracap.com/nshop/product.php?view=listing&groupName=EKbyNewERA&hatGroup=170&searchBy=group Lets hope the future brings more people into the fold.

applevalleyjoe

New in Town
I was at the Wine Creek Winery in Temecula, CA on Saturday and counted what appeared to be a cheap Cuenca Panama, a Shantung Panama, and two nice Panama fedoras, including mine. Now that I've gotten my hat I am more conscious of fedoras whereever I go.

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Well, this is cowboy hat country, and I see few if any vintage/felt fedoras. However, this summer I have noted a number of straw and panama fedoras being sported about. I see a fair number of stingy brimmed cheap hipster hats which makes me wonder if the interest in fedoras is there, but folks don't know where to find them. Therefore, a "fedora" is a fedora to many young people.[huh]

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I rarely see any in my neck of the woods however when I go down to Austin TX. to visit family I usually see a couple. Almost always with fur felt, and always on youngsters, probably UT students. During the last holidays I saw half a dozen, with two young men with suit and tie and mid brimmed fedoras working in department stores--boy--I'd like to see that come back!

I was at a fair recently and was shocked how many felt fedoras I saw, especially considering the heat. I was in a straw, myself.

There's one truck driver I see at work quite frequently who always wears, what appears to be a late 50's, early 60's vintage fedora.

Brando11

A-List Customer
I see more of them all the time here in Chicago. It's becoming pretty common to salute one another with a quick forefinger to the brim.

Yesterday I saw a fellow wearing an upturned brim and Ray Ban Clubmasters. Thought it must be Che for a minute.

scooter

Practically Family
I work for an airline and, consequently, see lots of passengers coming and going. I see fine Panamas to fur felt and wool. Now and again, I see a really fine example of an old fedora. Being Arizona, we see more than our share of cowboy hats as well, of course.

Pompidou

One Too Many
One patron at my cafe asked if a person had to wear a hat to get service, because at the time, everyone in the building seemed to be wearing one. A Steampunk cafe lends itself well to costuming, and I went in expecting it, but instead we get hipster attire and fedoras/newsboy caps - me included- still get compliments on the red VS. the cafe gets more hat wearers than the rest of town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ