Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

The next day we toured the Glacier Bay National Park. This was a "sea" day on the ship. The Marjorie Glacier was the most spectacular. No huge calving, just some pieces the size of a volkswagon fell off while we were there. Another day of fantastic weather, we saw the peak of Fairweather Mountain, the crew said it is almost always shrouded in mist/clouds.

20Jun18 Marjorie Glacier Fairweather peak 550x.jpg
20Jun18 Hopkins Glacier 550x.jpg
20Jun18 Marjorie Glacier detail 550x.jpg

Our final port of call was Ketchikan Alaska. This city has early roots in the history of the region, it was originally settled by the Russians similar to Sitka. They were a timber and salmon producer in the late 19th to the mid 20th centuries. With loggers and fishermen, with pockets full of pay, a thriving red light district grew up known as "Creek Street". It lasted until the 1950s and was restored as a tourist attraction when the cruise ships started coming to Ketchikan.

21Jun18 Ketchikan sign 600x.jpg
21Jun18 Ketchikan Creek Street 600x.jpg
21Jun18 Ketchikan Creek Street Molly's House 600x.jpg

I hope you all enjoyed my snapshots of this summer's adventure.

...Another day of fantastic weather, we saw the peak of Fairweather Mountain, the crew said it is almost always shrouded in mist/clouds.
I'm starting to think they say that to all the tourists, because we heard the same thing when we stayed in Denali in 2011. "Oh, today's your lucky day because you're getting a rare look at the peak of Mount McKinley. It's almost always hidden by clouds." Yeah, right.

Anchorage, Talkeetna, Denali, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan--they were all wonderful places to visit, especially when we got away from the businesses that were owned and operated by the cruise lines and spoke to the people who lived and worked in those communities year-round. But I would agree that Skagway was a high point of our trip as well. More so than any other place we visited, the people who live there appear to have gone to great lengths to preserve the city's history and want to share it with as many visitors as they can. I sincerely hope we have an opportunity to visit Alaska again in the future, and thank you for sharing your trip with us!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks for posting your Alaska pictures, I certainly enjoyed them!

The one problem I’ve found with bringing photos back from Alaska is that it’s impossible to capture the huge scale of the landscape in the photographs. Alaska is just something you have to see for yourself to fully appreciate. With that said, your photos are fantastic! Thanks again for posting them.

...The one problem I’ve found with bringing photos back from Alaska is that it’s impossible to capture the huge scale of the landscape in the photographs. Alaska is just something you have to see for yourself to fully appreciate...
Boy, ain't that the truth? With it's estimated population of one person per square mile, Alaska is mostly landscape. I somewhat jokingly describe our trip as, "They show you some scenery and you think, 'Wow, that's beautiful. There can't possibly be another place on Earth more beautiful than that.' And then they show you something else, and again you think, 'There can't possibly be another place on Earth more beautiful than that.' And then they show you something else." :D But it's true. And when you're far enough away from the occupied areas, that huge scale can make you feel truly small and insignificant. It's like the state is constantly one-upping itself as the scenery changes--similar, yet still different and just as beautiful. And then they show you something else.

It's not the Golden Gate, it's the Oakland Bay Bridge.
From your position I believe you can't see the Golden Gate.

Actually, the Golden Gate is visible in the other direction from that spot, but you are of course right that the photo is of the Bay Bridge with Treasure Island in the middle. I waited in that spot for 10 minutes hoping for the fog to thin for better photos of the Golden Gate and then inadvertently stuck in photos of the Bay Bridge. Par for the course for me.

This is from the same spot and in the foggy distance this is the Golden Gate:

fe8a1ec6acdb1bf7970fe698f9fe644e.jpg

You would have thought that @jlee562 would have caught my gaff but the guy (apparently well-traveled guy) from Portugal calls me on it. ;) Don’t expect me to correct you on points of interest in Lisbon. [emoji4] Thanks for the assist Joao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
You would have thought that @jlee562 would have caught my gaff but the guy (apparently well-traveled guy) from Portugal calls me on it. ;) Don’t expect me to correct you on points of interest in Lisbon. [emoji4] Thanks for the assist Joao.
No, I'm not a well-traveled guy. I wish I was.
San Francisco's Golden Gate is quite famous and well known as it is a kind of sister bridge of the 25 de Abril bridge in Lisbon. The pillars are different but most characteristics (and color) are the same.
Also San Francisco was/is featured in a lot of video games like Midtown Madness 2 (more accurate and detailed) and American Truck Simulator (very simple but both bridges are there.).

No, I'm not a well-traveled guy. I wish I was.
San Francisco's Golden Gate is quite famous and well known as it is a kind of sister bridge of the 25 de Abril bridge in Lisbon. The pillars are different but most characteristics (and color) are the same.
Also San Francisco was/is featured in a lot of video games like Midtown Madness 2 (more accurate and detailed) and American Truck Simulator (very simple but both bridges are there.).

California is a large a diverse place with lots worth seeing. However, in to way of thinking the only beautiful large city is San Francisco.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Boy, ain't that the truth? With it's estimated population of one person per square mile, Alaska is mostly landscape. I somewhat jokingly describe our trip as, "They show you some scenery and you think, 'Wow, that's beautiful. There can't possibly be another place on Earth more beautiful than that.' And then they show you something else, and again you think, 'There can't possibly be another place on Earth more beautiful than that.' And then they show you something else." :D But it's true. And when you're far enough away from the occupied areas, that huge scale can make you feel truly small and insignificant. It's like the state is constantly one-upping itself as the scenery changes--similar, yet still different and just as beautiful. And then they show you something else.
I felt that way about the Misty Fjord. It even looked other-worldly

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

sebastian czentner

One of the Regulars
Our final port of call was Ketchikan Alaska. This city has early roots in the history of the region, it was originally settled by the Russians similar to Sitka. They were a timber and salmon producer in the late 19th to the mid 20th centuries. With loggers and fishermen, with pockets full of pay, a thriving red light district grew up known as "Creek Street". It lasted until the 1950s and was restored as a tourist attraction when the cruise ships started coming to Ketchikan.

View attachment 124667 View attachment 124668 View attachment 124669

I hope you all enjoyed my snapshots of this summer's adventure.
Lovely, Sometime in the future i would visit Alaska. As is the only place in USA im interested to visit. On September i would be at the oteher extreme of the continent Patagonia.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Enjoyed an unplanned trip to San Francisco just to get out of the heat. Gannon in Natural beaver kept me company.

069fd21420faffe040ccfe1edb9925fd.jpg

bf8ec93822f12743339aee4162d65668.jpg

Golden Gate Bridge in the background. 1.5 hours away and over 30 degrees cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I felt a shift in the force.... 2 Gannon naturals on the west coast at the same time! Careful, there... gravity is going to fall apart or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner