Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Took the opportunity to grab a few photos of my old stomping grounds in Michigan's Upper Peninsula since I am home for Thanksgiving. I grew up about 20 miles outside of Escanaba in the middle of nowhere, but Esky was the closest "big" city at population ~13,000. Escanaba is a port city located in Delta County on the northwestern shores of Lake Michigan:
View attachment 563869 View attachment 563873 View attachment 563874

Throughout it's history the Upper Peninsula has been dominated by two industries - logging and mining. While the logging industry has remained relatively strong, the mining industry has waned over the years. Only one mine remains, where iron ore is harvested for the production of steel. The second mine closed several years ago, and the ore from that mine was transported by rail and then loaded and shipped out of Escanaba. (The other mine ships out of Marquette.) Growing up I used to sit in "The Stalls" near the docks and watch the boats come in/out loaded with ore, which are the largest vessels on the Great Lakes. The Sand Point Lighthouse is located nearby:
View attachment 563871 View attachment 563870 View attachment 563872 View attachment 563875

For the past few decades the paper mill has been the largest employer in the area. Prior to that, Harnischfeger of P&H Crane was the dominant employer in the area. When they ceased operations in the early 1980s it devastated the local economy. It has never really recovered, and Escanaba is your prototypical Rust Belt city.
Oh you are far up there! I have delivered a few times in the Iron Mountai/Norway area and I got up as far as Houghton on one run. I love that entire country north of Green Bay - there is something magic about it and also about those old Great Lakes lighthouses.

One day I'll get a load across the Mackinaw!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Oh you are far up there! I have delivered a few times in the Iron Mountai/Norway area and I got up as far as Houghton on one run. I love that entire country north of Green Bay - there is something magic about it and also about those old Great Lakes lighthouses.

One day I'll get a load across the Mackinaw!
I have extended family in Green Bay and Iron Mountain, and my dad graduated from Michigan Tech in Houghton. Definitely is great place if you like nature and the outdoors. I only get up there once or twice a year these days but it's always nice to get back home, and it's something I've come to appreciate more as I've gotten older.

My cousin is a state trooper and he likes the joke that he holds the record for shortest and longest time to cross the Mighty Mac. Shortest as part of a high speed chase. Longest bringing up the rear of the annual Labor Day Bridge Walk.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I have extended family in Green Bay and Iron Mountain, and my dad graduated from Michigan Tech in Houghton. Definitely is great place if you like nature and the outdoors. I only get up there once or twice a year these days but it's always nice to get back home, and it's something I've come to appreciate more as I've gotten older.

My cousin is a state trooper and he likes the joke that he holds the record for shortest and longest time to cross the Mighty Mac. Shortest as part of a high speed chase. Longest bringing up the rear of the annual Labor Day Bridge Walk.
Getting up n that area and also into the Dakotas is why I like running for a Chicago-based company.

Stay warm brother!

The Shoe

One Too Many
Akashi in Hyogo Prefecture is famous for its seafood. Despite being in a prefecture on the Pacific coast ourselves, we try to get there every year to buy food for the New Year’s feast.
IMG_1428.jpeg

It’s especially famous for octopus.
IMG_1431.jpeg

When we made some purchases from a certain shop, I noticed their cash register and asked if I could photograph it.
IMG_1425.jpeg

The owner (pictured) said that it’s over 100 years old.
IMG_1426.jpeg

Japan has the best manhole covers!
IMG_1427.jpeg

We had B-kyu gourmet for lunch, that is B-grade food - generally cheap, delicious food from the local area. Akashiyaki (Akashi-style octopus balls) is a local soul food, and it’s really good!
IMG_1429.jpeg

IMG_1430.jpeg

Ok, now that one I had to look up. What a great old song. And the lyrics I love too. That’s a keeper. Thanks HJ.
I know you’re a real audiophile. Don’t know if you play any instruments or not. For me it’s always been about the lyrics & their meaning, ever since I first heard Dylan. Lots of great poets & songwriters around that era, some of which never obtained much financial or commercial success. They didn’t have publicists & film crews following them around 24/7 like they do today either. If you can find it watch the film, “Without Getting Caught Or Killed”.

So when I posted the lyric line above I meant it both literally & figuratively.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
For me it’s always been about the lyrics & their meaning, ever since I first heard Dylan.

I love the stories in songs, vivid imagery, and cleverly turned phrases. I've never cared as much for instrumentals or classical music, although there are pieces that I enjoy, but for the most part give me a hillbilly ballad that tells a good story any day!

Rumad

One Too Many
I know you’re a real audiophile. Don’t know if you play any instruments or not. For me it’s always been about the lyrics & their meaning, ever since I first heard Dylan. Lots of great poets & songwriters around that era, some of which never obtained much financial or commercial success. They didn’t have publicists & film crews following them around 24/7 like they do today either. If you can find it watch the film, “Without Getting Caught Or Killed”.

I always hesitate to say ‘audiophile’, I’m an absolute music nut. Audiophile makes me think of folks with way too much money (which certainly is not me) spending as much as possible and listening to their gear rather that the music. Put it this way, if the only source I had to play music was a single speaker transistor radio, well I’d be happily listening to it 24/7.

I DO play an instrument, I’m a drummer. Been playing since the early 1980’s. Besides building my own audio gear, I also build guitar and bass amps, although I can’t play either. Mostly I build (and repair/restore) for family and friends that do play.

Growing up in a house full of the Doors, Beatles and Grateful Dead (among others) I love lyrics too and very much appreciate your recommendations. I’ll dig up that movie and see if I can’t save it to watch. ‘Preciate it HJ.

I always hesitate to say ‘audiophile’, I’m an absolute music nut. Audiophile makes me think of folks with way too much money (which certainly is not me) spending as much as possible and listening to their gear rather that the music. Put it this way, if the only source I had to play music was a single speaker transistor radio, well I’d be happily listening to it 24/7.

I DO play an instrument, I’m a drummer. Been playing since the early 1980’s. Besides building my own audio gear, I also build guitar and bass amps, although I can’t play either. Mostly I build (and repair/restore) for family and friends that do play.

Growing up in a house full of the Doors, Beatles and Grateful Dead (among others) I love lyrics too and very much appreciate your recommendations. I’ll dig up that movie and see if I can’t save it to watch. ‘Preciate it HJ.
Used to be a long running musicians & songwriters forum that was educational & a lot of fun until the overnight experts showed up who couldn’t play a riff or harmonize, but they had their rhyming dictionaries & thought they were songwriters. The forum was shut down & hard to find now. Occasionally you can turn up a post on the WayBack Machine but you can’t find it otherwise.

Rumad

One Too Many

‘Bout to get into this right now.
IMG_2634.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo