Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ole - thanks for sharing. You seem to be enjoying your trip.

I await he shocking info with bated breath. Don't tell me you're switching to ball caps? ;)

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
No Richard, I still wear fedoras - and I still have my long fair blond hair. You know the one just above my left temple, surrounded by all the stumpy grey ones. I sincerely hope, I haven't oversold the news lol

I arrived in Nashville, last Friday afternoon and was picked up by my oldest friend Svend at the airport. Almost 30 years ago he moved to Nashville, where he lives with his wonderful wife Rita from Shelbyville, South of the city. Ed showed up later in the afternoon, and the following day we drove West to visit Mike Moore in Covington. On the way, I was still very impressed to be in the music city, so Ed took this at a rest area along IS40:

Cline_Atkins_Rest.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have any pictures taken with my own phone, while working on my hat at Buckaroo Hatters. At the moment I'm waiting for a CD from Rusty with his pics. As soon as it arrives, I will post the story in The Buckaroo thread. I must say, it was a fantastic day, where I met some incredibly kind, open minded and embracing people. Mike, Rocky and Rusty really made my day ... a day my American vocabulary is way too crude to describe properly. My gratitude has no limits!

Following a great Southern dinner with Mike, Ed and I retired to Holliday Inn to get some sleep before the trip back to Nashville. I had to take a shot of my new hat - along with my "certificates", showing I'm now a "trained hillbilly". The bone is from my patient teacher Rocky, and the Apple Pie is from Rusty

Hat_Holliday_Inn.jpg

Still impressed I asked Ed to take this on our way back. It reminded me of the old blues "Going Down to Brownsville":

Bownsville_Sign.jpg

Back in Nashville I trawled Broadway most every day of my stay. One of the days I visited "Goorin Bros" - a hat-shop in Nashville (and many other cities):

Goorin_Bros.jpg

I wore my new Buckaroo Parabuntal blocked in Optimo by Mike Moore. The kind lady attendant didn't ask "what brand is that?", but "who made that hat?", when she got past (the rest of) the compliments. Well done, Mike! ;)

Selfie_Ryman.jpg

The building behind me is the so-called "Mother Church of Country Music" - "The Ryman Auditorium". Here from another angle, the building I so often have wanted to make the goal for a "pilgrimage":

Ryman.jpg

Of course I went on a tour inside, and was met by Roy Acuff and Minnie Pearl, tastefully lit in gobos (hole-masks) to enhance the atmosphere of the old Opry:

Acuff_Pearl.jpg

Here's a shot from the balcony - and a few from the exhibitions, showing Minnie Pearl's hat with the legendary "$1.98" price tag, the costume John Hartford wore at the "Down From The Mountain" show (with the artists from the "O Brother Where Art Thou" sound track) and Clint's hat from "Honkytonk Man"

Ryman_Stage.jpg Minnie_Perl_Hat.jpg Honkytonk_Hat.jpg

Here's part of the "Nashville Skyline" as it looks in 2014:

Ryman_Batman.jpg

- with the famous AT&T "Batman Building" behind "Rippy's" to the right (and Ryman to the left). And another breathtaking new building in the skyline is "Music City Center":

Music_City_Center.jpg

A trip to Ernest Tubb's record shop was another must:

Ernest_Tubb_Sign.jpg Ernest_Tubb.jpg

- and here are Svend and I after a great show at the "Grand Ole Opry":

Grand_Ole_Opry.jpg

2014 is the 40-year anniversary for the "new Opry", so we watched a fantastic show, featuring Jesse McReynolds (surviving brother of legendary Jim & Jesse), Bill Anderson, Crystal Gayle (Loretta Lynn's sister) and others. Sam Grisman, the son of mandolin player David Grisman, played in Jesse McReynolds' band his first gig at The Opry. Wow! :)

I also had the pleasure to play with some of Svend's friends - and to attend a Southern wedding down in Franklin. The mandolin player in one of the bands, Svend plays with, married his son away. Here's Mackie (gui), Dan (banjo) and Svend (fiddle) outside Mackie's home - and the band at the wedding, with the bride and groom sitting in on a couple of tunes (The dobro player is actually wearing a stingy fedora):

Mackie_Dan_Svend.jpg Wedding.jpg

Here's a picture of my wonderful host family, Svend and Rita, at our last Southern breakfast ... and one of "The Ole Buckaroo" (pun as obvious as intended):

Last_Breakfast.jpg Last_Breakfas_Hat.jpg

In the car on the way to the diner, Rita mentioned, that she found it strange, I didn't feel any trace of homesickness. The day after I arrived in Copenhagen, I went to pick up some of my companions from the Vegas-trip, who continued their stay in California. As I went through the city, I suddenly thought: "But Rita ... I do feel homesick!".

That's the shocking news, Richard! After talking to the company I work for, they now want to open a representation in Nashville, TN - with me at the rudder. I'll give myself half a year to see, if I can live in Nashville. Does it work out, I intend to settle down and stay.

Had you asked me before or in Vegas, I would have told you, that "I love to be in The U.S, but I can't see myself living here". All that changed in Nashville - under influence of all the wonderful people I met on that part of my trip - not to mention the gorgeous landscapes.

At age 59 I guess that is a bit shocking. On the other hand, it may very well be my last shot at grabbing a byflying chance and do something crazy in life - as I have done it so many times before - and with such wonderful results. With three kids and five grandkids it's not without challenges, but after all, we'll be just $300 (return ticket) and 15 hours apart. My kids are all exited, that they can recognize the old crazy man, and love the idea [huh]

Sorry, this post ended up on the very long side, but the Nashville trip has really been seminal - to say the least! I'll spare you detailed reports on all the remaining paperwork lol

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Darn, Justin! Just as I was leaving! Hope, I'll be there next time you visit :)

In Nashville I went to both Goorin and HatWRKS. Except for the latter's ladies hats, I mainly saw "box-hats". I also saw eight Stetsons of the new line - both Stetsonians and Stratoliners. Eight hats of which eight should have been caught in the obviously non-existing quality control at Stetson! I simply don't get the fuzz over these, and would rather wear a ball-cap!

Mike Moore's shop in Covington is something absolutely different. If you have a chance to go see him, don't let it pass! He's a fantastic guy - and so are Rocky and Rusty ;)

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I shall be around, my friend! Vegas looked like a blast as well. I used to visit there all the time, gotta love it.

Hatwrks was another I was planning on visiting sooner or later! I will definitely take a look at Mr. Moore!

g.durand

One Too Many
Ole--great photos and great story. Thanks you for sharing with us. If you don't do something crazy in life then you haven't lived. Nashville would welcome you, and you will most likely never regret it.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Aaron : Thanks a lot. Yes, I'm extremely excited - and confused :D

Durand : As many times before, it seems we share a lot of values and thoughts on life ;)

Rusty : Half of it has already been shared - and people here love it! A visit (like in "one" visit) cannot happen - but many coming visits will happen! You, Mike and Rocky are indeed among the people "to blame" for this decision ;)

Maybe you can claim royalties from "Garrison Keillor" for finally bringing Ole and Sven together in "God's Own Country". I heard quite a few jokes on those two characters during my stay in Nashville. Svend's friends bombarded him, ever since he mentioned my then coming visit lol

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Dang Ole, guess there's more merican in you than you thought. Doesn't really surprise me though, easy to see as I've gotten to know you via your posts here. Glad your taking the leap instead of lingering doubts later on. Home is wherever you make it, a new one or your old one. Win-win situation.

Wonderful reports, Ole! You MUST take on the challenge, if it intrigues you. Otherwise you will always wonder, "what if...?" Besides, you wouldn't be the first guy to chase your dreams in Nashville. If you never dream, you'll never have a dream come true!

Wonderful photos of a fun trip Dane!! Your pics of the Ryman sure bring back memories, and I've spent a small fortune in Ernest Tubbs record shop. I've spent a lot of time in Nash-vegas, and currently am only about a 3 hour ride south of there, so if you decide to make a move look me up. I'll take you to all the Hank Williams hotspots down the road from me. Of course you are your own man to make his own mind, but I know I'd jump at a chance were the tables turned in my favor. Congrats on the opportunity.
Also - that mojo in your hat band - it looks to be the mortal remains of a racoon's virility, a.k.a. "love bone"? I'll bet that will make for some interesting conversation back home. Do you even have racoons in Denmark?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Richard - spectacular pics from London! I must've missed those while my service was out. Looking good in the bowler. You fit right in to those shots (even though you probably had the only one for miles)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Thanks a lot, guys. I really appreciate all the warm welcomes and thumbs up ;)

The Appalachian foothills are far away from Scandinavia in so many ways. I could very likely have chosen places, that "looked more like home", but then I could just as well move myself 100 miles here in DK. Challenges are part of the joy.

At the end of the day I have my oldest friend living in Nashville on the 30th year. We will both be 59 this summer - and go about 57 years back! He knows a lot about, what will please - as well as what will annoy - a newbie Dane in The South. Yes, I'm in a euphoric craze at the moment, but I'm not naive. I know, I will meet a lot of challenges, and that my decision also will cause quite some occasional hardship with both me and my family. That's why I've given myself half a year to check out "the project". In any case, my old friend Svend is probably the best catalyst for a pleasant landing, I can get :)

DH : You are so very right! "A raccoon baculum" is the "civilized" expression, I guess (never been an expert on finer reproductive lingo :D). I intend to wear it occasionally, but would like to make up a little more secure fastening. Raccoons are not native to the Danish wildlife, so it's quite exotic on all shelves around here lol

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Great photos from your trip, Ole and really cool that you might be moving here full time.

I came here to the US to check it out for 6 months in 1990 and still here. I went through the company visa, greencard, citizen thingy. The only thing I dislike about this country is the political situation. I've got into the habit of voting for Kryten from Red Dwarf in most elections - I'm hoping he wins at some point!

Anyway, as Richard said, you have to go for it!

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
When you are settled in, let me know! I'd love to meet you. Also, if you are ever up in the ft. Campbell area let me know, and I can take you to our post museum wich has some neat itemsitems, including the only wwii glider you can enter. Something a tad different, I suppose!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy