Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

OddHatter

New in Town
At callaway gardens in pine mountain GA wearing my favorite hat my Akubra Fed IV in moonstone
bbb8f56483bee595cb0e999d253c91a5.jpg

Scott, that's a great look!

I'm new to the forums but the Fed IV has been recommended to me numerous times and your pic has sure sealed the deal for me. The color - moonstone - was also suggested and seeing how great it looks on you I must concure. Only thing.... after a search I can't seem to find it on the Dave Morgan site. Is this an "Aussie only" purchase? How could I get one living here in the states (WI exactly)? Obviously, many here were able to do it so my "noob-ness" is showing but since this is also a place of learning for us new to the life on the other side of the hat-wearing fence (where the grass truly is greener - and far more stylish) how can I order it?

Again, great hats gents. Scott, you should get a commission on my purchase.

Dan

viclip

Practically Family
The Akubra Federation hats are proprietary:

http://hatsdirect.com/federation/index.html

Note that there are regular & deluxe versions & that there are some differences in color availability between the two lines.

Personally I prefer the deluxe.

In any event, the folks at Hats Direct down under are great to deal with, enjoy!

Last edited:

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
+1 to both of the comments above.

Oddhatter, thanks for the compliment,
Hatsdirect.com is where I purchased my fed's, and they have great customer service. I went with the deluxe based on other members comments and reviews. I think it is well worth the extra few bucks. I recieved one just a week after ordering it, my second took two weeks, but that was due to U.S. Customs. (Your delivery time may vary). FYI, they are open crown, which lets you bash them yourself, which, IMHO is half the fun. There are tons of videos on how to do it on youtube and other sites. I think you will be pleased with the FED IV, it's a great hat!

OddHatter

New in Town
Thanks Lt, RFR, and Viclip for the hatsdirect link. I bookmarked it and will be perusing the site. I think a moonstone deluxe is in the works, but maybe not for a couple of weeks. Hopefully by the time I get it I'll both have made enough posts and figured out how to post pics so you can check it out. Of course, you're a hard act to follow, Lt, as the Fed IV is so "you" in that pic.

Dan

Lt.hats

A-List Customer
Thanks Hatophile, I love Callaway, I generally go down there for a weekend at least once a year.

Dan, thank you as well. ( i'm going to need to stretch out all my hats as my head is starting to swell up with all these compliments :D ). If you get one, I am sure you will love it. IMHO, and as a relative noob myself, I think that for the price, you would be hard pressed to find a nicer fedora. (unless you go vintage.) I have ten fedoras/derbies/homburgs, but the moonstone Fed is my absolute favorite. I generally wear it to work at least three weekdays out of five, and on most weekends.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
This thread was basically created to let us indulge and use up bandwidth with excessive photos so I indulge. Went to the Pacific Northwest Concour's d' Elegance (formally Kirkland C d' E) today. Basically a fancy name for a car show.

I wore my Panama Bob by BSHW

This is the afield, The Lemay museum field in Tacoma, Wa. If you look in the background of many of the pixs you'll see quite a few hats, more than I've seen in a single place (besides a hat shop)

The first car I was drawn to was this fabulously painted 1933 Packard

This was my show favorite, a huge and very rare 1928 Isotta Fraschini with coachwork by LeBaron

The tiny cockpit featured ostrich leather

Here's it's little sibling, a 1909 Isotta Fraschini

I did say little, here are it's owners (I thought they might be FL members but they hadn't heard of us)

More to follow.....

Last edited:
Thanks Lt, RFR, and Viclip for the hatsdirect link. I bookmarked it and will be perusing the site. I think a moonstone deluxe is in the works, but maybe not for a couple of weeks. Hopefully by the time I get it I'll both have made enough posts and figured out how to post pics so you can check it out. Of course, you're a hard act to follow, Lt, as the Fed IV is so "you" in that pic.

Dan
Just in case you haven't discovered it yet, the "I Love the Fed IV" thread has numerous photos showing the Fed IV in different colors with different creases; you might find a color you like better than, or as much as, the Moonstone.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Che! But wait there's more.........

This 1914 Mercedes Grand Prix won the 1914 French GP and then the Indianapolis 500 the following year with Ralph DePalma driving averaging just a tick under 90 mph. It's top speed is 120 mph. The race took 5 1/2 hrs to complete. It required a riding mechanic to pump the fuel and oiling systems and it doesn't have front brakes!

1907 Peugeot

Best brand name was this 1917 Owen Magnetic. It's a hybrid! The engine spun a magnet which spun around an armature that charged an electric motor which drove the rear wheels. No gears to change, an infinitely variable transmission

The engine with leather fan belt

This might be the first SUV, a 1927 Cadillac 7 passenger Touring, check out the beautiful engraved pewter dashboard

More to follow.....

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Another judged class was The American Tail Fin Class. Here's a row of em facing some pretty big bumpers

More from that class, most tail fins got front too. 1960 Cadillac Barritz with suicide doors

1954 Cadillac Eldorado

1956 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz

1958 Chrysler 300D, it's got a Heemi

More to follow.....

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Another Chrysler, this time bodied in Italy by Ghia, 1953

I thought I knew my BMW's but had never seen one of these, 1958 503 Cabriolet. It was a jewel mechanically with a small V8. It's owner, a woman, drove it 1800 miles round trip from Kirkland, W. to Pebble Beach, Ca. I should have gotten a pix of the interior

1938 BMW 327/28 Cabriolet with a nice bum

Another nice bum, 1938 Steyr 220 Roadster. Note the fitted luggage

My favorite bum was this 2001 BMW Z8. The interior wasn't bad either because it was red

More to follow.....

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
There was also a class for BMW motorcycles. Many people like Harley's, I like BMW's. 1965 BMW R69/S

I had one of these back in the day but mine was silver and orange, Orange Smoke officially. 1975 BMW R90/S in Black Smoke

There was also a class called Modified Flathead Hot Rods. This is a pretty good example of a period correct modified Ford Flathead

My favorite Flathead Hot Rod was this 39 Ford Roadster, the dashboard was especially neat

Thought of Che when I saw this, not your typical 1960 Edsel

Thanks for letting me indulge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran