Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras afield

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
R M Williams version of an Akubra Camp Draft.

Attachments

• Me at Joyce Boardwalk recrop.jpg
    Me at Joyce Boardwalk recrop.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 79
Going to need a few posts for this. Visisted the Italian region of Veneto and this is an impression of that trip.
Made the rip by car with a stopover in Austria. This was the view from the hotelroom in Nassereith (and a hat).

BP2B8725a_resize.jpg
IMG_4664.jpg

Our destination was Barbarano Vicentino, just south of Vicenza and central in the region between Verona and Venezia. This was our place, a former winery, with some stunning view round the back (and some hats).

BP2B8822a_resize.jpg
BP2B8768a_resize.jpg
barbarano.JPG
barbarano_2.JPG

Visited Marostica, know for its annual lifesize chess game (with horses and all). Sold out unfortunately, but that was to be expected since it was the first time after Covid that the event was held again. The playing field below (and a hat).

BP2B8835a_resize.jpg

port2.jpg_resize.JPG

More in the next post.

Continued on to Montagnana, a walled city of which there are several in the region. Serious rivalry between powerful families in the region made these fortifications part of the history. Montagnana is renowned for its 24 month aged prosciutto. Quite rightly so I might add. The other food was great too.

BP2B8927a_resize.jpg
montagnana_1.jpg
montagnana_2.jpg
marostica_2.JPG

Next day brought us to Soave, known for its wines and wineries and after that Vicenza, where I found the only hat shop on this trip. Didn't buy a hat though. Did buy lunch.

BP2B8976a_resize.jpg

BP2B8992a_resize.jpg
BP2B9026a_resize.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4711_resize.jpg

Mighty44

One Too Many
Continued on to Montagnana, a walled city of which there are several in the region. Serious rivalry between powerful families in the region made these fortifications part of the history. Montagnana is renowned for its 24 month aged prosciutto. Quite rightly so I might add. The other food was great too.

View attachment 453445 View attachment 453447 View attachment 453448 View attachment 453446

Next day brought us to Soave, known for its wines and wineries and after that Vicenza, where I found the only hat shop on this trip. Didn't buy a hat though. Did buy lunch.

View attachment 453450
View attachment 453451 View attachment 453452
View attachment 453453

View attachment 453445 View attachment 453447 View attachment 453448 View attachment 453446

View attachment 453450
View attachment 453451 View attachment 453452
View attachment 453453
View attachment 453454
Looks like a wonderful trip with well-chosen hats, Stefan. A nice chance to soak up the last of summer.

The next day brought us to Verona, hometown of our very own Daniele Tanto @Daniele Tanto, who agreed not only to show us around town but also had his partner Monica prepare us an incredible lunch with some of the finest wines the region has to offer (and those are very fine indeed). No talk of hats, but of wine and food. Cannot thank Daniele and Monica enough for their generosity and hospitality. Dante approves.

BP2B9091a_resize.jpg

BP2B9049a_resize.jpg

BP2B9053a_resize.jpg

Both hatless; imagine that!

verona_3.JPG

Next day brought to the southside of Lago di Garda to Sirmione. Overrun by tourists (of which we were part as well). After that to San Martino della Battaglia, which along with Solferino, was the place were the French and Sardinian armies met with the Austrians in 1859, led by respectively Victor Emmanuel II and Franz Joseph I. Many thousands were left on the battlefield, which directly led Henry Dunant to petition for the Geneve Convention. Both places have memorial sites with an ossuary to commemorate the battle.

BP2B9161a_resize.jpg
BP2B9208a_resize.jpg

Then: Venezia or Venice. Steer clear of the "must see" locations like the Rialto bridge, Piazza San Marco and the like if you don't want to get stampeded by tourists. Slip into a side street or alley and the place is remarkably quiet and deserted.
BP2B9271a_resize.jpg
BP2B9370a_resize.jpg
venice_1.JPG

Last edited:
Great photography Stefan!
Glad to see you finally got out of that brick alley Stefan @steur ! I really enjoyed your photos and it was great to see the sights / sites and think about how that amazing looking food and wine might taste. Also good to see you smile and the hatless pics brought a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Stefan @steur,
Thank you, gentlemen. Much appreciated!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Lest we forget: the region is known for its wines, so there was no way we could leave there without a proper wine tasting.

View attachment 453464 View attachment 453466

If bottles won't do anymore, here's a filling station for the "serious" wine drinkers.
View attachment 453467

On the way home it seems we stopped in Latveria.

View attachment 453465

What a trip! I’m equal parts envious and happy for you. Thanks for the vicarious experience through such great photos.

Bravo, bravo. Sfondi meravigliosi nelle tue foto.

Sauti, Eric -
Grazie mille, Eric!

What a trip! I’m equal parts envious and happy for you. Thanks for the vicarious experience through such great photos.
Thank you, Brent. When there's so much beauty on display it is easy. Just have to haul the camera around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider