Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedoras Live On For Atlanta Homicide

Craig Robertson

One of the Regulars
Great article, glad you bumped it! My dad always said "when you look good, you act better". I don't know if that's true in all cases, but it helps.

Besides homicide detectives, you will find a lot of fedora wearers among ukulele players here in Boston...at a cabaret-style show I put on each month called "Ukulele Noir". Here's an example from a past show:
http://ukulelenoir.com/pages/noir_6.html

leo

One of the Regulars
Wow, that brings back a couple of memories! In the early 80's I read an article about the Atlanta homicide "hat squad." It was in a newspaper or a Sunday insert and included a posed photo with about 6-8 detectives. At the time I was a sergeant in the burglary unit of my police department. The article caused some roll call chatter but only a few guys in homicide and juvenile units ever wore hats (in the winter). I soon transferred to narcotics so was more likely to wear a bandana and unwashed biker clothes for the next few years.

In 1980 I was a ring leader of what we called "hat nights" on our night shift squad in patrol division. We gave out prizes for the best hat, funniest hat, largest hat, hat from farthest away, hat most likely to start a fight, and about a dozen other categories. I have a picture on the wall behind me (no, I'm NOT going to post it :D because many of us are still alive and a few still on the job!) showing a couple dozen uniformed officers wearing such things as straw hats, boonie hats, a large sombrero, a pith helmet, a cycling cap, fire helmet, homburg, "scottish" hat, western hats, a coolie hat, and even one guy in full gorilla mask. A night shift newspaper reporter discovered the event and wrote an two-inch article about it...but it was enough to alert top administration and set internal investigation gears in motion so that the next one six months later was aborted during the shift, narrowly missing a nasty outcome. Hat Night was not classy nor professional but it was a great stress reliever for officers who frequently ended their shifts with bloody and torn uniforms.

Mark G

A-List Customer
Craig Robertson said:
Great article, glad you bumped it! My dad always said "when you look good, you act better". I don't know if that's true in all cases, but it helps.

Besides homicide detectives, you will find a lot of fedora wearers among ukulele players here in Boston...at a cabaret-style show I put on each month called "Ukulele Noir". Here's an example from a past show:

Craig, what could be better, Ukulele's and hats? If I get to Boston soon, I would love to see that show.

Alan C, thanks for the post, the article was very interesting.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Damn good article

Think these guys were an inspiration? Nah... :D
crimestory2.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Craig Robertson said:

Craig - :eek:fftopic: I have to ask, what is that insanely cool hat in your new avater?

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
There are about 100 investigators in my building at my current job. Only three of us wear fedoras as far as I know. I was happy when #3 joined the other two of us. I wish it would spread, but then I wish work ethic, energy, and competence would spread, too.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Here am I in Atlanta, and we get the Journal-Constitution, and I missed this. Thanks for the article! Good to know a tradition is being kept alive here.

In the article, author said something about a fedora not working with "big hair and big collars"...not so sure about that, maybe not with a perm or whatever but my wife has big blonde hair and looks smashing in one, whenever I can get her to don a fedora.

Slightly off-topic, notice the officer to the far right in the photo with Charles "Lucky" (not on this occasion) Luciano. Amazingly short brim on the sides, and looks like a dimensional cut. Interesting. Also like the dude with the cigar. Never would see a photo like this today.

- Bill

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Only 16 Homicide detectives for Atlanta PD? Glad I live in the 'burbs.

Always wondered why I saw the APD on Channel 2, 5, 11 or 46 wearing hats. And in Atlanta, the criminal element pops each other off with great regularity.

lc1484

One of the Regulars
No fedora in this pic, just me with my service hat playing the pipes at the National Wreath Laying ceremony before Thanksgiving in the Presidio..

Larry
lc1484

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats