Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My Thorogood BELOIT 6 INCH PLAIN TOE BLACK CXL. I also have the horsehide Thorogood Borum Hill but this new pair is obviously improved as the tongue no longer slides away. Downside is this is not horsehide and for the same price I can get a pair of Wolverine 1000 miles made also with Horween CXL.
View attachment 17680
View attachment 17681

Those are wonderful. Though I have only worn my pair of Thorogoods a handful of times, I can vouch for them. There happens to be a White's dealer a mile from my house, so that might be my next pair. The owner of the store is a grouch who is known to be kind of condescending toward "fashion wearers" like myself, so I'm afraid to walk in, but it's worth a shot.

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
552335232842341325_45e7cd9d36b0.jpg

Do any of you own a pair of the Danner Forest Heights Olmsted boots? Curious what they're like. I can only assume they're GYW and use Horween uppers.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding the Tongue-sliding, I got a pair of Frye Rand Lace boots last year that have a kind of small leather tube attached to the tongue at the fifth lace hole (out of ten) that you pull your laces through to keep them from sliding. I'd never seen these before, but they work really well. Do other makers use them?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Regarding the Tongue-sliding, I got a pair of Frye Rand Lace boots last year that have a kind of small leather tube attached to the tongue at the fifth lace hole (out of ten) that you pull your laces through to keep them from sliding. I'd never seen these before, but they work really well. Do other makers use them?
Yes, Timberland does in some of their models.

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
I'd say Thorogood's last is closer to dress shoes than the Tru balance provided you are in fact D width. Sorry if I cause any confusion because I rarely find boots or shoes that fit my width so I usually have to go up half or one size in terms of length. I wear size 10 in Thorogood and though I don't own the Indy, I have tried them before and size 9 and a half seems to fit me.

I just got confirmation from two different but reliable sources that the Thorogood Beloit 6" boot does indeed fit a half size larger, so an 8.5 would work for me. don't mean to doubt you blackadder but you can never be too sure when it comes to boot sizing

frussell

One Too Many
Lots of work/riding bookmakers pre-cut the lace slits mentioned above in the tongue. Over time, where you run the laces through becomes the shape of a tube, or loop. Very effective. Seen on Justin's, Chippewas, etc...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thorogood boots I posted earlier, after a coat of Obenauf's LP. First time ever using it. Seemed to be a pretty straightforward process. The inside of the boot is a finished leather; I went ahead and applied a very light coat inside. Not sure if that's a common practice. Pic is upside down.
image.jpg

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Canceled my order on Context Roy boots. It was taking too long for them to receive them from Alden and I thought they were overpriced. Picked up these Wolverine Krause for $325. Absolutely love the depth of color and wrinkling characteristics of these boots. My only gripe is that for $555 retail, these should come lined.
20140918_173044.jpg

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
Canceled my order on Context Roy boots. It was taking too long for them to receive them from Alden and I thought they were overpriced. Picked up these Wolverine Krause for $325. Absolutely love the depth of color and wrinkling characteristics of these boots. My only gripe is that for $555 retail, these should come lined.
View attachment 17791

That's too bad about the Context Roy boot. Have you checked out Unionmade.com? They have an Alden plain toe boot in natural CXL that looks similar to the Roy boot. But like all of Alden's shoes they'll set you back $500+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jägernaut

Practically Family
Im perfectly cool with the krause. It looks better than id hoped. I have the unionmade alden captoe in #8 shell. Those are very nice as well.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Those Krause boots are very appealing. Is there a noticeable quality difference between the 1000 mile line and White's?

Jägernaut

Practically Family
I am now a supporter of "The Bluelace Project" to support buying American made goods. It is my understanding that these laces come from the only company to still make shoe laces in the US. Boots are Redwing Beckman btw.
redwing.jpg

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Those Krause boots are very appealing. Is there a noticeable quality difference between the 1000 mile line and White's?

I think there is. I have both.

The White's are over-engineered and I mean that in a good way. They are very heavy duty and give off a work boot vibe. The heels give them a more casual look. I get the impression that they would last me my lifetime as long as I got them resoled every few years.

The Wolverine 1000's look dressier and are much lighter - and that lightness equals comfort in my opinion. I expect I could resole them at least once, but not more than that.

I'm not a lumberjack or construction worker, so I admit to being a poser in regards to "work" boots. I have lots of shoes/boots, so I'm not apt to wear either pair out soon. I love them both, but the construction of the White's is well above the Wolverine's. In fact, while expensive (though not that much more than Wolverine's), the White's are a helluva bargain.

mowgli222

One of the Regulars
+1 to what Grayland said.. Also the SD in Whites's with no liner, single leather sole and a reduced block heel should be close to the 1000 mile boot in the way it looks, only a much higher quality..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic