Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I compared a few videos of the White's SD vs the 1000 Mile. The White's appeared to be more robust. (a tank vs a jeep). I happen to like the stock SDs floating around the internet, which are only slightly more expensive than the 1km. But I'd be happy to own either.

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
Actually the Lone Wolf boots are at the top of my list, but I wear an 11.5, so no hope there...

At $500? Oof. you might as well go with a pair of Thorogood 1892's at less than half the cost - they look virtually identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
I just don't think there's a better looking boot than the Lone Wolfs.

fair enough. for comparison i've posted pics of both boots. I guess I can't see the difference between the two that justifies why one would cost twice as much. Is it the leather?

lw_mech_blk_thumb.jpg

Lone Wolf boots

51tbLKo8s7L.jpg

Thorogood Beloit (1892 collection)

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
the Lone Wolf boots are imported from Japan. that explains why they cost twice as much. I assumed they were US made.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
6" whites bounty hunters with a lowered block heel will just about do it. As would some Wesco packers on the jobmaster last, 7" high with a lowered heel. But to each his own as they say

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fair enough. for comparison i've posted pics of both boots. I guess I can't see the difference between the two that justifies why one would cost twice as much. Is it the leather?

lw_mech_blk_thumb.jpg

Lone Wolf boots

51tbLKo8s7L.jpg

Thorogood Beloit (1892 collection)
I have both and I can say for sure that it is not the leather. Thorogood uses Horween CXL leather whilst the LW uses cheaper thinner leather save for their logger and the engineer which also are Horween CXL.
The difference is in the construction and the sole. LW uses Cat's Paw half sole with leather midsole while the Thorogood is only made with rubber cork sole. The welt and stitching of the LW are also much much better than the Thorogood. The welt on the Thorogood looks like it is rubber. The stitching on Thorogood is not really in-line while the workmanship and/or QC on the LW is flawless
They are also different in terms of last. The LW is a wider boot with a Munson last whilst the Thorogood is narrower and sleek.
Both are quite comfortable as long as you get the right fit. The LW only comes in E width while the Thorogood only comes in D.

Last edited:

gaseousclay

Familiar Face
Do any of you own a pair of the Chippewa service boots that are being sold by zappos? There's no mention of what last it's on and the rep from Chippewa wasn't very helpful. I know the service boot is essentially the same Katahdin engineer boot sold by LL Bean. The difference being the price and the Bean version states theirs is on the Munson last. I just need to try and nail the sizing down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Thorogood horsehide Boerum Hill (came with brown flat cotton laces which I changed to leather ones).

thor

Call Me a Cab
^
The leather is a beautiful tone of dark russet; it's thick and a bit stiff but is slowly breaking in with nice grain, patina and burnishing developing (reminds me of Aero FQHH). The break-in is half the fun (and well worth the effort) in a good pair of boots or a heavy leather jacket.

trapp

Practically Family
Here's my pair of Nick's station boots. They're an old pair of boots made long before they started offering some of their newer specialty leathers. These feature their old default workhorse leather. I love 'em.

september112014001_zps40bd7bdc.jpg
[/URL]

september112014011_zpsadb70a90.jpg
[/URL]

september112014005_zpsf0c2978a.jpg
[/URL]

september112014002_zps497de35d.jpg
[/URL]

september112014006_zpsad96780a.jpg
[/URL]

Forum statistics

Threads