Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm a big fan of Frye and have two pairs of the Jackson engineers, one pair of the Rand lace-up boots, and the Phillip boots. I think they've discontinued the Jacksons, which is a shame, as they're my favorite every day boots. They're a cross between an engineer and a cowboy boot and are very comfortable.

LouisBailie

Banned
Wesco Boss boots with double mid soles and Vibram 705/700 soling/heels are about as good as one can get..have had a pair for 25-6 years and just had them rebuilt again....very comfortable form fitted 18 inch high fully lined boots. Order any color and leather you want and purchase one pair for life.

moto_0985.jpg
moto_0992.jpg
moto_0993.jpg

Last edited:

LouisBailie

Banned
I have and wear Trickers, Alden, Wesco, Whites, Redwing, Wolverine 1000s/Krause,Ron Ryder, Herring, Carmina, JM Weston, Russell Moccasin, and Jcrew by Alden boots. In all types of leathers from shell cordovan to rough out suede but the Wescos above and these White's are my go to outside work boots. Both pairs over 25 years old...

moto_0895.jpg

Last edited:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
so like, I picked up this pair of old Work BOots Down by the Local Thrift for five bucks and whatnot.

SA approved, all I need now is good Jeans and Im bonafide! hehe.

You guys have awesome boots!

bb61f74b44926477da82f1e71ebebbfa.jpg

Since there was some discussion of Fryes, here's mine, I don't think I've posted these before. The no-name model engineer boot with nylon corded sole. Just basic transportation.

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
Today, I bought a pair of Chippewa engineer boots, #27911's. I got them for $160 with the web store's $50 off holiday coupon. They're my 1st pair of "tall" engineer boots (11").

Last edited:

Sheepdog149

Practically Family
I received my "Iron Ranger Mule Skinners" in the mail today. I got them EE, since I have a wide foot. Perfect fit! They're a tough-made pair of boots.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'd be very interested in seeing those bullhiders in a year and then after their 2nd year. I think they're going to age really nicely, picking up that dirty look in the heavy-wearing areas and the brightness of the rest of the leather muting. I'm assuming they're going to look like a well-worn glove. Because the toe is unstructured, did you order true to your Brannock size? Or maybe even slightly above? The low profile has me wondering.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I bought these used from another forum member and actually don't know my Brannock size. I generally wear 9.5 or 10 in boots (red wings, thorogood, wolverine are mostly 9.5) and a size 9.5e or 10d in dress shoes (Allen Edmonds/Alden). These are a size 10d and are slightly long and perfect in width. The toe box, due to being unstructured is nice and wide in front which works well for me.

The low toe box sits on top of my feet. It feels like wearing a very thick leather sock on the top of the foot. It's not uncomfortable as the leather is very supple and bends with my foot without any rubbing. The full lining really helps to make these comfortable as well. I have another pair of black smoke jumpers that are unlined and the rough ridgid leather can be quite uncomfortable.

pak

One of the Regulars
E Shackleton, If I may suggest, look into the hard toe option of either celastic or double celastic. These will keep the toe in its original shape. If you like the creases to form all along the toe then the hard toe will not work.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have some horsehide boots that are all creased up at the vamp. Is this attributed to me not using a shoe tree or does horsehide do this regardless?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
E Shackleton, If I may suggest, look into the hard toe option of either celastic or double celastic. These will keep the toe in its original shape. If you like the creases to form all along the toe then the hard toe will not work.
I like the unstructured toe. I'm curious how it affects sizing. That's all. Also, I like creasing in leather, as long as it is similar, or mostly symmetrical, across both boots. I had a letter jacket in high school that each sleeve was made from different leathers or from different areas of the hide. One sleeve was soft and formed all kinds of comfortable wrinkles, while the other sleeve was stiff and never formed any wrinkles. One or the other, but both being so drastically different was plain ugly.

Lined footwear is awesome. I prefer it in almost every instance.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
White's roughout smoke jumpers
IMG_9277.JPG

IMG_9282.JPG
They are beautiful! I really agonised over getting a pair in rough out. I didn't know how they would cope with staining, and wondered if the rough out would become bald or smooth over time. I really like those boots mate. Great purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points