Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

JanSolo

Practically Family
Modified and repaired Red Wing Iron Rangers

Morning all!

My Iron Rangers suffered from a worn through tongue because a couple of the hooks were not properly flattened. This seems to be the fact with a number of RW models.

The disease:

6558584327_9374bb7382_z.jpg

The remedy (step one). Piece of horsehide glued over the sharp edges of the hooks. I've used a professional leather cement for that...

6558588583_7b000e3ffc_z.jpg

Step 2. I've cut a false tongue from waxed nubuck that vaguely resembles the one on my White's boots, although it's shorter and narrower. You can see that I've had to put a lot of wax on the leather to achieve a similar color

6558592437_63a18c84c5_z.jpg

Finished and laced in. I've a also put on a pair of leather laces on. Not too bad I think...

6558596381_c4131eecf2_z.jpg

6558652629_649f49704d_z.jpg

The colour is a good match I think. The hole mod took about 20 minutes and might have well saved the tongue of the boot.

What do you think?

Last edited:

4spurs

One of the Regulars
Great job! Did you also take a hammer to the back side of the hooks and whack them down so that they do not chew through your patch and tongue?

You could also contact RW customer office and show them what you had to do to correct their manufacturing defect; maybe they will pay more attention and not let that happen again.

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks everybody!

I used a vice, a hammer and a couple of pliers to solve the problem. None of them really worked to flatten the rivets without damaging or scuffing the uppers. I've used a dremel to round just the sharpest edges. The horsehide patch should be durable enough. And as long as there isn't any play between patch and rivet I don't see how it it should work its way through the leather...

I'm glad you like it!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Thanks Peacoat! The leather is a waxed cowhide nubuck which was sort of brickred before I waxed it. I've used Barbour dressing and a hair dryer to melt the wax in. It took a while but the result is a good match.
Quite interesting that the RW Iron Ranger isn't really dyed at all. If you use hot water and a sponge you can get the colour of the shoes back to a light caramel (if you want to). The dark brown color of the leather is in fact a result of the oil tanning and stuffing. That's why the finish can be restored so well.

Here's another picture that illustrates the slight difference in shade between the false tongue and the uppers of the boot:
6563674733_f75fac3ff5_z.jpg

BTW: Merry Christmas, everybody and a prosperous New Year!!

nabottle

A-List Customer
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I am thinking of buying one of these two boots and this has been the most informative I have yet to read. For the last 20 years, all I have worn are Dr. Martens. I am what you would call a Dr. Martens Loyalist. The problem I do have is that they don't come in a US 9.5 EE, which is what would be perfect for me. Now, Red Wing may become my Go-To brand.

Dav

One Too Many
I like the above boots daizawaguy, could you tell me what the heel/sole configuration is please. I'm thinking about ordering a pair of horsehde semi-dress but am unsure about the heel height.

EDIT
I've just found the semi-dress thread, so my questions have been answered.

Last edited:

camjr

Familiar Face
Decided to share my post from another forum on this subject:

Time for a 90 day review (actually a few days short of 90). Apologies for the not-so-professional iPhone pics...

I purchased these in mid January from a Red Wing brick and mortar store in Carrollton, TX (DFW area). After waiting for 2 weeks, they arrived at the store. I went true to size, and unlike some of the others that have posted here, that worked out well for me. The only thing I've done to them is treat them with mink oil about a week after bringing them home. Break in was no issue, as these were very comfortable right out of the box (I'm convinced that these boots are designed to have a good amount of room at the toe since the ball of my foot / break in the boot is right where it should be and there is plenty of space in the front of the boot. By dropping down a 1/2 size as many recommend, I think break in would be more uncomfortable).

I wear these about 4 days per week, and use cedar shoe trees when I take them off each evening. I brush them off about once per week. They have been outstanding and are very comfortable. They've been through heavy rainstorms and long days on my feet. I don't use aftermarket insoles, and the leather insoles that come in them have completely formed to my foot. Bottom line-I love these things!

Here are some shots (apologies for the ugly office carpet that our building went with...)

RWIR4.jpg

RWIR3.jpg

RWIR2.jpg

Cheers!

andy richards

Practically Family
New Old Stock army boots

Hi,

It has been a while since my last visit on the Fedora Lounge. Due to a lot of travel and work overseas there was too little time to write and see what's going on at the FL.
Anyway, I am back and hope you all are well.

Last week I bought this pair of Dutch army boots for € 12,00 which is about $ 15,00. They are new, never worn and came with two pair of original laces. These boots were issued from 1958 until 1976 and are very well made. They look like the old type US Army boots. I intent to wear them as they fit perfectly.

Cheers to you all,
Andy

IMG_4308.jpg

IMG_4310.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

IMG_4312.jpg

IMG_4311.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points