Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Peter

Mine felt uncomfortable the first few times i wore mine but after a couple wearings that disappeared. Super comfortable now. I haven't read where someone didn't adapt and gave them up.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
Peter

Mine felt uncomfortable the first few times i wore mine but after a couple wearings that disappeared. Super comfortable now. I haven't read where someone didn't adapt and gave them up.
Thanks...im wearing them now around the house..i will persevere & hope they settle..i crushed a foot 40yrs ago in a m/cycle accident..that may have a bearing on the discomfort..peter

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Iv just picked up a beautiful pair of whites packers..fantastic leather & build...but the arch ease...ouch.feels like i have a golf ball under my foot..is this normal?im gonna give them a couple of weeks then if i cant get on with them its off to the bay...shame coz i love the look of them.

I have a pair of White's Packers and I would say they have the most pronounced arch of the White's line. It took a few weeks until they felt comfortable and now they are one of my favorites.

Andy B.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
I'm after a pair of those redwing rangers but nor sure about sizing ...

usually i wear european 45 and US 11 but heard redwings are way big

anyone any experience with sizing or wether 10.5 redwing is more similar to europ 45???

any comments apprechiated

Dav

One Too Many
I usually take a UK9/US10 but in the Redwing Iron Rangers I'm a UK8/US9, other Redwings I only drop ½ a size!

EDIT
Think I'll wear mine today

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here

anyone any experience with sizing or wether 10.5 redwing is more similar to europ 45???

any comments apprechiated
I got the same euro size and got the 11D of the Beckmans. I guess IR won't be different. Maybe you can size down if you have slim feet. There is some room in the length but I wouldn't want them any slimmer.

4444Design

One of the Regulars
THX for the quick replay ...

those rangers are pretty cool boots - already checked here in germany but too expensive will order in the US or try to score a used pair on egay

Nice ones Dav. Which leather option is that?
Nice looking pair of table sharks at your feet, too. The black & white collie reminds me a lot of one I recently lost. She was one of the best - if a stranger ever gave a second glance at one of my children that dog would be right there between them. Crazy smart.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I got the same euro size and got the 11D of the Beckmans. I guess IR won't be different. Maybe you can size down if you have slim feet. There is some room in the length but I wouldn't want them any slimmer.

I usually wear UK10, US10.5/11, EUR44.5. The Beckmans run large and I wear them in size UK9, US10, EUR43.

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Love the brogue toe caps.

Here's my work boots;

smwjump3.jpg

MightyEighth

Familiar Face
Is that a vintage pair of jump boots or modern? Corcoran?

Not original jump boots, but not Corcoran repops either. These are SMW jump boots - they do the best repops by a county mile. The Corcoran repros have rubber rather than leather midsoles and have a horrible plastic coating on the leather which won't take a polish, and the finish kind of chips off.
The SMW has Vaquetta leather midsole, proper US Army branded outer soles, a nicer shade of russet etc.

Aside from the Corcoran and SMW, all the other repops fall to bits with heavy use, heels fall off etc. These SMW boots are truly awesome and not expensive.

gwold

New in Town

I've got the IR, and believe they're a US 10.5. I'll have to check when I get home this evening.

I wear either 10.5 or 11 (US), myself, typically in a D width. I've a slightly flat foot, as well. The IRs were just a tad tight at first and have broken in to be a terrific fit, width-wise. There's ample room in the toe box as well, without it extending too far out front. A really good fit for me.

As a comparison, I recently picked up a pair of Beckman's Oxfords. As noted elsewhere in the forum, the Beckman's run narrow--very narrow. I could not get my foot into the 10.5s. I've settled on 11s, and worked through the width stretch. At times the 11s feel a bit like clown shoes; there's too much toe, out front. So I would not recommend sizing your IRs based on an experience (if any) with Red Wing Beckman's.

---- Edit 4-Mar 18:41 ----

I do indeed have size 10.5 (US)/44 EUR, D width

Last edited:

Cole

One of the Regulars
This mean place here, combined with the little fairy that insisted that dad goes with her:

7uvy7a3y.jpg

Resulted in some very visible marks on my new White's. I know things like these are unavoidable in the long run, but since the boots are only a few weeks old it hurts (like the first scratches in a HH jacket).

enepy5uv.jpg

upusa3u7.jpg

Any ideas on how to make the marks a little less visible?

Posted using Tapatalk on my iPhone

Last edited:

pipvh

Practically Family
This mean place here, combined with the little fairy that insisted that dad goes with her:

7uvy7a3y.jpg

Resulted in some very visible marks on my new White's. I know things like these are unavoidable in the long run, but since the boots are only a few weeks old it hurts (like the first scratches in a HH jacket).

enepy5uv.jpg

upusa3u7.jpg

Any ideas on how to make the marks a little less visible?

Posted using Tapatalk on my iPhone

You've been fighting on the front line of parenthood. Wear those marks with pride!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got the IR, and believe they're a US 10.5. I'll have to check when I get home this evening.

I wear either 10.5 or 11 (US), myself, typically in a D width. I've a slightly flat foot, as well. The IRs were just a tad tight at first and have broken in to be a terrific fit, width-wise. There's ample room in the toe box as well, without it extending too far out front. A really good fit for me.

As a comparison, I recently picked up a pair of Beckman's Oxfords. As noted elsewhere in the forum, the Beckman's run narrow--very narrow. I could not get my foot into the 10.5s. I've settled on 11s, and worked through the width stretch. At times the 11s feel a bit like clown shoes; there's too much toe, out front. So I would not recommend sizing your IRs based on an experience (if any) with Red Wing Beckman's.

---- Edit 4-Mar 18:41 ----

I do indeed have size 10.5 (US)/44 EUR, D width

Listen to him and disregard what I said. I didn't knew they fit so differently. I chose the Beckmans over the IRs mainly for the sole. The IRs looked to slippery for winter boots. Maybe they aren't. Any experiences?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails