Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Feet Up! The Work Boot Thread

Timberland makes decent boots too from what I hear (though I have no experience with Timberland boots). They aren't considered to be on the same level as Red Wings from what I've read and from looking at the photos I prefer the look of the RW's to the Timberlands.
I've been wearing Timberland's Chocorua boots for about four years now. They're true-to-size (in my experience), well made, comfortable, waterproof enough for most weather conditions (deep snow and/or wading through rivers or into the ocean might put that to the test), provide good support and, although I've only done a little casual hiking or climbing, they've maintained traction well regardless of the type of surface I've walked on. Also, they can usually be found for a much more reasonable price than what Timberland sells them for through their website. My only "complaint" would be their appearance--they look far more like a modern sports/running shoe than a boot.

Timberlands are pretty comfy boots, and for the price I've never been to concerned about ruining them at work, which is always a possibility. I usually wear red wings, but I always keep something else in the truck. As a plumber, sometimes the working conditions can get kind of.....well, crappy, and I don't want to be wading through it in a $200+ pair of boots

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't be buying the Red wings at full price. For $100-$150 the 2nds at STP are a good deal though.

dh66: If I were working in plumbing I'd be wearing something with a rubber bottom like Bean boots or wellingtons. I've waded through enough backed up sewage to not want to wear anything that absorbs liquids if I were in that.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
Thanks casechopper,

I think I'll stick with the Timberlands for now. They are super comfortable, didn't even need to break them in, no blisters. Waterproof and look pretty nice.

Only reason I would choose the Redwings would be because they are maybe higher quality, although I'm not sure about that.

I got my Timberlands for $90 now as they were price matched against Amazon. They will last a few years, and if I have to replace them it's only another $90....

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I bought a pair of Timberland boots once. Without a doubt the worst fitting, most uncomfortable, over-priced, over-hyped footwear I have ever owned.
Now I wear Danner. Worth every penny.

casechopper

Yesterday: Clarks Wallabees
IMG_5013.JPG

These were a nice break from all of the Red Wing boots that I'm breaking in as these have a soft, cushy sole.

Yesterday: Clarks Wallabees...These were a nice break from all of the Red Wing boots that I'm breaking in as these have a soft, cushy sole.
Those gum soles are comfortable, but they're not particularly durable.

And if you find yourself wearing them while sitting around a campfire, don't put your feet up on the fire ring. Years ago I was camping in the desert with my sister, her husband, and some of their friends, one of whom was wearing Wallabees. We'd made a fire ring out of large rocks we found around the campsite, and while we were relaxing around the fire later in the evening this friend put his feet up on one of the rocks. About five minutes later he jumped up yelling because, as he put it, his feet were on fire. What had really happened was the heat from the fire began to melt the soles on his Wallabees, and as he stomped around trying to cool his feet dirt and rocks became permanently embedded in the now-cooling-and-re-solidifying soles. lol

casechopper

Zombie_61: They're like a nice pair of slippers, very comfortable but not what I'd wear hiking.

Today: Red Wing 8144. Still working on breaking these in.
IMG_5177.JPG

Wingsken

New in Town
I use corcoran jumpboots i recently acquired as workboots. I work alot on the highway (glass fiber connections between signs etc...) and was given a pair of lowboots that were uncomfortable and didnt protect me from the plants and brush.

One is in the middle of a cleanup, the other is as its been. For a nice comparison.

hebyqu7a.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I use corcoran jumpboots i recently acquired as workboots. I work alot on the highway (glass fiber connections between signs etc...) and was given a pair of lowboots that were uncomfortable and didnt protect me from the plants and brush.

One is in the middle of a cleanup, the other is as its been. For a nice comparison.

hebyqu7a.jpg

They look good.

I have a pair of these same boots. Though, I don't wear them a lot, they are nice and broken in. When I do wear them, they serve their purpose very well.

- Ian

Flat Foot Floey

I recently got a pair of CHIPPEWA Katahdin boots from the LL Bean line off ebay. Do I treat them with Oil like my Red Wings or is the leather different and has to be polished like dress shoes (=normal shoe cream)

PS: Ok, so I did read this thread and I think my Chippewa boots are oiled leather. So I will just only oil them and not wax/shine.

Pictures as soon as the weather gets right for wearing them. I bought anti-seasonal and got a good price.

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
Those gum soles are comfortable, but they're not particularly durable.

And if you find yourself wearing them while sitting around a campfire, don't put your feet up on the fire ring. Years ago I was camping in the desert with my sister, her husband, and some of their friends, one of whom was wearing Wallabees. We'd made a fire ring out of large rocks we found around the campsite, and while we were relaxing around the fire later in the evening this friend put his feet up on one of the rocks. About five minutes later he jumped up yelling because, as he put it, his feet were on fire. What had really happened was the heat from the fire began to melt the soles on his Wallabees, and as he stomped around trying to cool his feet dirt and rocks became permanently embedded in the now-cooling-and-re-solidifying soles. lol

I wore Wallabees as as intern day and night for 18-20 hour days and they were outstanding. Held up better than me and never let me down. That was a few years ago when they may have been a little better made, and we avoided building fires while working.:)

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Brand new pair of Ariat Stockmans, first day wearin' them. I have another pair of Stockmans in brown, but these black ones were advertised as being deer skin. Not sure what the brown ones are made from.

0807140957_zps85bdf78b.jpg

AF

Brand new pair of Ariat Stockmans, first day wearin' them. I have another pair of Stockmans in brown, but these black ones were advertised as being deer skin. Not sure what the brown ones are made from.

AF, I have some Justins that are tagged as "Stag" which are way softer than any cowhide or ostrich ones I have.
Got some buffalo hide ones recently = toughest ones I've ever had to break in.
Do those black deer skin ones seem softer than the brown?
Nice ones regardless...

Blackadder

Got 2 pairs of boots the past week,
1. NOS Santa Rosa
IMG_20140806_122323949.jpg
2. RRL Roughout
IMG-20140809-WA0007.jpg

Last edited:

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Been meaning to post these: