Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt hat basics

jwalls

Vendor
Hat Restoration

Over the last 20 years or so I have been getting old hats rework for my own use. When I get this blogging figured out I'll try to get some pictures out to you folks. Right now I am waiting for an old ROYAL STETSON pork pie to be finished. From the old style satin it would seem to be from the early '60s.

pfatherpfedora

New in Town
Hat cleaning supplies

I've been using Bickmore products that I buy from Big D's Tack & vet supply online at http://www.bigdweb.com/. They have brushes, sponges, and cleaners for felt and straw, as well as kits for light and dark hats. I had best luck searching under bickmore, hat cleaner, hat sponge (including the thick off-white ones referred to above), etc. Prices are great and the service is fast.

pfatherpfedora

New in Town
Hat stretcher resource

I recently bought an old hat on Ebay that was a wee bit small. I didn't want to spend more on a hat stretcher than on the hat so I did a little searching and found a guy in MN that makes them and sells them for $6.50 + $5 to ship. I received mine in a few days. It worked great. His website is: http://www.shrinkmyhead.com/

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Welcome to the Lounge and thanks for the information, pfatherpfedora!

That's a good deal for a hat stretcher. Most online hat retailers seem seem to sell them for around $20-25. If for some reason you find yourself in need of another hat stretcher, see if you can find a Harbor Freight Tools near you. I think they carry them for ~$7 there.

redhawks2

One of the Regulars
Cleaning Brim Trim

I have a few hats that have evidence of having been handled over time to the point of having a somewhat yellowish cast on the grosgrain brim trim. Is there something I can use to clean this trim?
Thanks for any info!

sproily

Practically Family
Is there a way to fix or make less noticeable the patches of felt that have come off? I'm not really a fan of small lighter areas on my brim.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Sometimes the trim just has to be replaced. The only place I'd suggest to have this done would be Since they have the machinery to do like they were done in the Golden Era.

What do you mean by part that have come off? Bug eaten areas? Parts that grease or something else may have desolved?

When it comes to craters on felt... there is nothing that can be done.

Rick Sparks

New in Town
Scout rain & stain protector?

Is this a good idea for protecting wool and/or fur felt hats? Also, does anyone know where you can find the off-white hat cleaning sponges? Thanks.

Surely someone knows if Scout rain&stain is a good idea for wool and/or fur felt hats. And where to get the recommended off-white sponges. All I could find online are the orange meshy-looking sponges. I'd like to get the best things for caring for my hats. And I don't want to spray something on them that will make them rain-resistant at the cost of making them less breathable.

Would sure appreciate some knowledgeable input. Cheers!

lostinperiphery

Familiar Face
This is a great thread for general care for new folks like me!

I recently purchased a Stetson Downs (graphite grey), my first fedora that is worth taking care of. I'm curious how 'gentle' does one typically need to be with felt hats? for example, how much care need to be taken when handling the hat not to flex the brim for fear of weaking/creasing it?

Also, for it to fit in the box, the front of the brim needs to be snapped up. Should one generally avoid popping the brim too frequently, or is it safe for the hat? Is there a special way to do this?

Its been a educational read so far, hopefully the above questions will help other new readers who may have the same question :)

jwalls

Vendor
I believe you will find your felt a lot tougher than you expect. A good quality hat will last a life time plus. One of my hats belonged to my great grandfather. I have a picture of him wearing it in 1927.:)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
jwalls said:
I believe you will find your felt a lot tougher than you expect. A good quality hat will last a life time plus. One of my hats belonged to my great grandfather. I have a picture of him wearing it in 1927.:)

Absolutely right! The only hat tougher than a felt is a hard hat - and they don't look so good outside a building site.

They were designed to be working hats and they will take any pounding you want to give them. The felt hat's natural enemies are moths and stains - and even most of the latter can be dealt with. I treat my hats with appropriate respect but I don't baby them. I wear them in all weather - they seem to enjoy a bit of rain every now and then - and all outdoor situations. I have some that are dress hats that I take special care to keep clean, and others that are 'beaters' that cop a pasting and still come up looking good.

So the lesson is - stick your felt on your melon and don't stress about it. Your hat will probably outlast you!

lostinperiphery said:
I'm curious how 'gentle' does one typically need to be with felt hats? for example, how much care need to be taken when handling the hat not to flex the brim for fear of weaking/creasing it?

Also, for it to fit in the box, the front of the brim needs to be snapped up. Should one generally avoid popping the brim too frequently, or is it safe for the hat? Is there a special way to do this?

Its been a educational read so far, hopefully the above questions will help other new readers who may have the same question :)

First, there is question to put out here. Is it a new hat? If so Stetson often does the Western Hat treatment to many of the fedoras which is to shellac the felt to retain the shape in a stiff manner. If you want to maintain the shellac then be fairly gentle. Over time and handling the shellac shatters in the felt and the hat will become more pliable, which with a good fur felt is quite alright. Wool felt may not be as happy unsupported. The hat has been steamed into shape and a fur felt will usually retain that shape for a long time unless you steam it into another shape. Also steaming will often re-set the shellac. Flipping the brim should be no problem. Try not to handle the hat as much by the front "pinch" in the crown as that can eventually lead to a hole there.

Many old fedoras were not shellaqued and are very soft as well as pliable from the get-go and the traveller hats are meant to be rolled up so they have to be pliable. I hope you get to meet up with some fellow collectors and then you'll get to see a range of old and new and what was the standard of felt and flexable.

John

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
can the shape of the crown (i think this is called the bash)
be changed? im getting a hat with a center crease shipped ild like to make it a teardrop if this can be done. thanks i hope im asking in the right place.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Midwest Boater said:
can the shape of the crown (i think this is called the bash)
be changed? im getting a hat with a center crease shipped ild like to make it a teardrop if this can be done. thanks i hope im asking in the right place.

If we're talking about a fur felt hat than yep - most of us here change creases quite often. Most recently I changed a cattlemens crease into a teardrop with front pinches. In the old days, hats came with no crease at all (open crown) and the owner had the task of shaping it - and reshaping it - to suit his taste.

So go ahead and push it open, add a bit of steam, check out jtl's brilliant thread on creating a perfect teardrop, and go for it.

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
thanks so much, very instructive. ive got the hat now and with it more questions.
15pfrxh.jpg

whats up with the bow in the back ? and
50jr.jpg
iqd5sm.jpg

can anyone tell me it this is truly a vintage hat?
thanks so much you guys are all so helpful.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it's a vintage hat. Backbows have been around since the turn of the last century, making comebacks at various times, including strong showings in the 20s and 50s. The latter is the likely era of your hat (though more photos of the liner would help).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters