Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt hat basics

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
Perfect from what i can tell this hat is from the early 50s.
Im supper happy because the photos and description on ebay were not very helpful and i didnt know enough to be able to tell. in short i got lucky in my first venture into the absorbing world of vintage fur felt hats. :D

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
I'm pretty curious about the sellers "ownership" of this book. It seems as though it's probably in the public domain now.

Good evening.

As you can tell from the post count, I'm new in town.

Apologies if these links have been posted before, I realise the original post is quite old.

I don't even own a fedora (yet), just a couple of tweed trilbies, but I've been Googling for info to learn the basics before I invest.

Whilst doing so I found these online:

The snappily titled "Scientific hat finishing and renovating; a complete and profusely illustrated course of instruction, enabling the novice to acquire the art of finishing and remodeling hats of all varieties according to tested and approved methods" (1919)
http://www.archive.org/details/scientifichatfin00erma

"How to handle hats" (1905)
http://www.archive.org/details/howtohandlehats00wood

"Straw hats, their history and manufacture" (1922)
http://www.archive.org/details/strawhatstheirhi00inwaiala

EDIT: All in the public domain, they've been contributed to archive.org by US libraries.

scaber

New in Town
Trimming a raw brim

Has anyone had experience trimming a raw fur felt brim to a shorter length? I've seen video of it done with a circular cutter. Although a hat shop could do this has anyone tried to do it at home?

scaber said:
Has anyone had experience trimming a raw fur felt brim to a shorter length? I've seen video of it done with a circular cutter. Although a hat shop could do this has anyone tried to do it at home?
Done it quite a few times, see Conversion Corral thread. Basically I mark the length I want to reduce the brim all the way around cheating to the outside, then use sharp scissors then follow it up with medium grit sandpaper followed by fine grit to round it of & even out the shape.

scaber

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
Done it quite a few times, see Conversion Corral thread. Basically I mark the length I want to reduce the brim all the way around cheating to the outside, then use sharp scissors then follow it up with medium grit sandpaper followed by fine grit to round it of & even out the shape.
Thank you for the reply and the heading to the correct thread. After reading some entries it seems like a nice project for an ebay beater first. Thank you again.

scaber said:
Thank you for the reply and the heading to the correct thread. After reading some entries it seems like a nice project for an ebay beater first. Thank you again.
My pleasure. Just paying it forward, lots of good folks here with good ideas & knowledge. Make sure to take before & after photos to share! Good luck!

TheRealDrew

New in Town
scaber said:

Yeah, I've used scissors and sandpaper too. Does the job OK.

Heather

Practically Family
I apologizeif this has been asked but I didn't come up with anything using the search feature. What is the best way to deodorize the smell of cigarette smoke from a fur felt hat? I hope theres a way!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The safest and cheapest method that I've seen is to dump some baking soda in a plastic bag and put the hat in there on a small stand - like a box. This will keep the hat from getting all dusty with the soda. Tie the bag and let it sit for a few days.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
A bunch. There's no formula, but if you need a specific amount, I'll say half of a small box. :D

Heather

Practically Family
Could you please explain how you steam? I'm afraid I don't own an iron. And how exactly do you use the cold water? I really appreciate everyones help!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Heather said:
Could you please explain how you steam? I'm afraid I don't own an iron. And how exactly do you use the cold water? I really appreciate everyones help!
Hold the hat over a kettle as the steam comes out. Move it in and out of the steam for about 10-15 seconds, making sure to steam the hat evenly and not focus on one part for too long. If that's not enough steam it again. Just make sure no steam touches the sweatband inside the hat as that may cause it to shrink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails