Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Felt hats in summer..

thomasrodd

New in Town
Escapeway for moisture helps me

Last year I installed grommets on two new hats --a fairly tightly woven panama and -- gasp! -- an akubra federation. These hats were too hot and thus pretty uncomfortable for me even in mild weather, -- I run hot-blooded, I guess.

The grommets I put in are about 3/8" brass; they may well be overkill, but they made a big difference in comfort, no beads of sweat on the bald pate.

One reason those very wearable canvas and nylon Tilleys have fairly large grommet holes in the crown may be assuring customer satisfaction.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
duggap said:
I started my hat wearing career several years ago with Panama hats. The truth of the matter is that a good Panama hat is way hotter than a light weight felt. My light weight Art stays in my summer rotation. If I am going to be outside for an extended period of time I wear the felt. It is cooler.:)

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Ive had straw hats of different types on my head over the years, and the more expensive ones were the hottest because their weave was finer. The cheaper, coarser-weaved hats allow more airflow, which is what I need. Ive had hats with grommets in them and they might as well have not been there for the lack of coolness they provided.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
Up just above the 49th parallel approximately 45 miles north of the US border at North Dakota, in Winnipeg, Canada summer temps will stay in the 80's and move into the 90's too ... I can only handle wearing straw. Right now it has been warm enough already for a few days to switch to straw. I like my straw hats as much as my felt ones so the change is a good one for me, but by the time September rolls around I am looking forward to wearing a felt hat again. Any other Winnipegers out there?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Man said:
Up just above the 49th parallel approximately 45 miles north of the US border at North Dakota, in Winnipeg, Canada summer temps will stay in the 80's and move into the 90's too ... I can only handle wearing straw. Right now it has been warm enough already for a few days to switch to straw. I like my straw hats as much as my felt ones so the change is a good one for me, but by the time September rolls around I am looking forward to wearing a felt hat again. Any other Winnipegers out there?

simpsonswinnipeg.jpg

I was in Calgary in Feb. & 30 below is just too cold to wear a fedora. It was a toque for me. I have been there in August tho' & the heat is so dry a fur felt is very do-able. Down here in Dixie however, it's straw or cloth from now 'til October/November... >sigh<

Viper Man

Banned
I own a few lightweight felts (my VS being the favorite) but I don't usually like to wear them when the weather gets above 70-75 degrees. However, I enjoy my straw hats quite a bit and I always look forward to the 4-5 months that I can wear them.

Neil

A-List Customer
Ugh. I know panamas are hot, too, but I cannot imagine wearing a felt in summer, even a light felt. It just seems a sweaty/greasy, hot, uncomfortable thing to do. I don't wear heavy wool suits or scarves in hot weather, either.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Neil said:
Ugh. I know panamas are hot, too, but I cannot imagine wearing a felt in summer, even a light felt. It just seems a sweaty/greasy, hot, uncomfortable thing to do. I don't wear heavy wool suits or scarves in hot weather, either.

Depends on the weave. As nice as the high wpi panamas are to the touch, I never found them that practical. I go for medio-fino.

Unlike in the northeast, being in the shade makes a big difference in SoCal so a hat helps in hot weather when there's no humidity if you're in direct sunlight.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
WideBrimm said:
What humidity? :eek: Thank goodness for DRY HEAT here in the West :D
Indeed. At half-way through May we are already experiencing temperatures that hover at the century mark, and a long summer is not too far off, yet I am able to wear three-piece suits and fur felts as I wish. As Barrelhouse said, going from an air-conditioned home to an air-conditioned car to an air-conditioned office is not such a bad thing.

However, I have had my eye on a nice Panama...

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
The difference...

...for me between a fur felt fedora and a straw is the difference between stifling and just hot.

Marc C had a thread on ventilating fur felts. He'd done a pretty good job of it.

Wearing no hat is worse - I went for a short walk the other day and the sun was very bright. I could feel the uncomfortable warmth on the top of my head from no shade at all.

Straws as an alternative? My straws are not really as good as they could be. Held up to light, one shows pinpoints of light and the other, a tightly woven shantung (whatever that is) shows none at all. As a side note, isn't a point of pride of authentic Panamas that they will hold water? Wouldn't that keep trapped heat in the hat?

I'm sorry that boaters have drifted to the edge (perhaps over the edge) of costume wear. Some of them have a very open weave that seems perfect for ventilation.

Of course there's always the plantation inspired golf hat. Those usually have a solid top for solar cover but a completely open basket weave around the sides. They aren't always the best looking, which is probably attributable to cheapness of manufacture and a lack of conscious styling. They're not really dress hats.

Trebuchet64_Fal

Familiar Face
I only wear fur felt if the conditions suit , otherwise i wear either my Akubra Hayman or my Akubra Capricorn , they are both light and well ventilated and look good enough to be worn any where.
I choose to wear those hats to save my felt hats from sweat marks as much as anything.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Here in Britain the weather may be quite horrible a lot of the time, but one advantage is that felts can be worn nearly all the time. I can count the days it was over 30C last year on my fingers. Even when it gets that warm, I think you can have the choice of straw or felt (if you take the hat off to cool down as suggested previously).

As for whether it is socially acceptable to wear felt in summer, Bogart does in Casablanca. During the scene where he is out during the day he wears his fedora. Considering that everyone else is in straw or pith helmets it must be warm. Then again, I have seen no pictures of Bogart in straw, please correct me if I am wrong.

MattStat

New in Town
FedoraFan112390, I'm in the city, too, and wear felt most of the summer, though a light colored one, but I go for straw or a cap when wearing light-colored linens. Keeping the sun off the head really brings the temp down, even if it's felt.

rrog

A-List Customer
indycop said:
I wear felts year round.[huh]

No eyelets for ventilation? It was down your way that I wore my Sunbody back in March and decided that I needed eyelets. I could see wearing felt with eyelets, but couldn't imagine wearing one without. :fing28:

rrog

indycop

I'll Lock Up
rrog said:
No eyelets for ventilation? It was down your way that I wore my Sunbody back in March and decided that I needed eyelets. I could see wearing felt with eyelets, but couldn't imagine wearing one without. :fing28:

rrog
No eyelets, though I am not against them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran