Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Femme Fedoras?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
A few comments in recent threads has inspired this thread. I know we have quite a few ladies here at the Lounge who wear vintage women's hats. However, I'm wondering if there are any who wear actual fedoras, be they men's hats or women's hats that emulate men's hat styles. So...
Do any of you ladies wear fedoras?
Do any of the men know of women who do?
What are your opinions about this? Like it? Hate it?
And, of course, pictures are welcome!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have been wearing fedoras for about a decade, started with a tan Borsalino and now have about 25 fedoras and a dozen caps. They are all men's hats, or maybe unisex hats/caps, as some are in colors that probably only a woman would wear (purple, silver, red, fuschia).

I have tried to interest myself in women's fedoras, but they taper too much on top (I have a rounded face due to being rather hefty) and, even when they look like they might fit decently, I find they are made of wool.

I don't do wool, I am a fur felt kind of gal. People stare at me, but, then, they stare at you fellows, too.

I find most women's hats and caps to be wretchedly constructed, as are many women's shoes and sweaters. (Try to find a nice, warm woman's sweater that compares with a man's sweater -- they are thinner, shoddier and usually made of acrylic rather than thick cotton).

I know of several Fedora Lounge women who wear the men's hats. And why not? We look great in them.

karol

Ani

New in Town
Hat Girl

I wear an older Borsalino (super soft) that I got on Ebay.

I also had a Fedora made that is a replica of the one worn in the film The Lover.

I am very excited about the fact that Art is going to make an Eddie G Fedora for me.

You are right Karol, the mens's stuff is better.

Ani

I plopped a stingy brim (1 3/4 inch) vintage Vauxhall on the dewy-eyed bride's pretty little head a couple of days ago, and it looked great on her. Even she thought so. That hat makes me look like a Florida parkbench denizen, and I ain't quite that old yet.

makll

Familiar Face
Roger, Thanks for the plug.I am pleased to "throw my hat" into the ring.
And you to Robert.
A very brief intro:
I have been making hats for about 3 years now. My love of vintage rests in the materials made during that era, usually being of a finer quality than whats available today. Many of my designs incorporate those materials and are based on vintage styles. This means short runs and one of a kinds in some cases. I also like to incorporate modern ideas into the vintage styling.

Like so many of the other hatters here, I use the old blocks and hand tools (no fancy equipment) and all the hats are hand made one at a time. While my main focus has been on Ladies hats I have been working all along to perfect my mens hats.

That said, the Sassy Fedora as shown has sold out. I have enough velvet to bind and band perhaps one or two more times, but that brushed brass button with the amyethist is gone.

BAck to the mens. This homburg style hat had been quite popular lately.
I am guessing its a 40's style (correct me if I am wrong here) and it does have a taper towards the tip, which I actually like.
Here are the last two made for a customer
charcoal-homburg-Pic.jpg

bronze-homburgPic.jpg

And this fedora is one I have worn on many occasion. The fun thing about this hat is the comments and stories people tell me when I wear it.
Because I made this for me, the band and binding are taffetta, not the usual hatband ribbon.
charcoal-fedoraPic.jpg

I would also like to comment on Karols post
"I don't do wool, I am a fur felt kind of gal...."

I am with you on this point. All of my hats are made from some type of fur felt with various finishes. I did recently procure some very nice wool hoods that have a great sheen to them and a smoother finish than what you typically see. Most of the wool felts are very rough to the touch. I reserve the use of those rougher wools to cut and sew styles and usually incorporate some other type of fabric such as velvets. These are usually hats I make on a whim, for fun, and generally only a few.

"I find most women's hats and caps to be wretchedly constructed..... "

The pre-empt: I am 47 yrs. old and have worn hats of all styles my whole life. While there certainly are some women who make fine hats, I have to agree with you here. This is in part the reason I decided to make hats. My feeling was if I am paying $200 - $300 for a hat it should be finely made.
I have seen some ladies hats that were sadly so poorly finished and the price was very high.

OK, thats it for now. Questions, comments, good or bad are welcome and encouraged.
See you out there.
MAry Ann

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Keep 'em comin'

I was beginning to think I was in the minority by liking fedoras on women. I'm glad to see so many positive reactions... and Lady Hatters, too. Fantastic! Please keep sharing your thoughts!

LadyPowers

Familiar Face
I have worn either vintage ladies' hats or fedoras, and men fedoras. I have vintage fedoras: Borsalinos, Stetson, Dobbs, Cavanaugh, Mallory, Knox, etc.. I have over 50 hats. From my men's vintage collection, I prefer the hats from the 1930s-early 1950s. I have a custom hat from Art Fawcett, and he has cleaned and reblocked or completely renovated several of my men's fedoras.

Some of the ladies' style fedoras that I have are made of wool. I prefer a better quality of felt found in some vintage men's hats.

i get all different types of reactions when I wear my hat. Just last week, a checker said, "Did I get mad at my man and stole his hat to wear since I was mad at him". I told him no. I could never fit into his hats, and I have my own. On another occasion, a customer in the supermarket told me that I shouldn't wear a men's fedora. Usually, I get compliments on my hats.

Regards,

Lady Powers

Cheer up Lady P

That last comment is typical of those who have tried and failed to find a hat that fits well over curlers (the large pink plastic variety). I'm sure she would have cooed over your hat if Jen/Brad/Lindsey/Cameron or any other of this week's tabloid idols had been wearing one.

Sardou

(of course, if this supermarket customer was a man, I'm really going to look stupid!!!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy