Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fictional Mayberry? Mount Airy, North Carolina

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
vfiles8449.jpg

In 1990, Mount Airy began to transform itself into Mayberry, recreating on its main street the fictional setting of “The Andy Griffith Show.” Mr. Griffith, who was born in Mount Airy, starred in the show as Sheriff Andy Taylor. During its run, from 1960 to 1968, it was among the most popular shows in America, and it has been seen in reruns ever since.

Inspiring Mayberry, and Then Becoming It
full story
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/us/in-north-carolina-inspiring-mayberry-and-then-becoming-it.html

nice slideshow
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/06/22/us/20130622-MAYBERRY.html

Last edited:

Old Rogue

Practically Family
Aside from the obvious attempts to recreate the TV Mayberry, Mt. Airy retains the look and feel of NC from the 1960s when the show was in it's original run and I was a young lad growing up. I visited Mt. Airy a couple of years ago. It was interesting to see the businesses on main street named after their counterparts from the show, but being transported back to my childhood was priceless.

Aside from the obvious attempts to recreate the TV Mayberry, Mt. Airy retains the look and feel of NC from the 1960s when the show was in it's original run and I was a young lad growing up. I visited Mt. Airy a couple of years ago. It was interesting to see the businesses on main street named after their counterparts from the show, but being transported back to my childhood was priceless.

Believe it or not, the best TexMex restaurant I've ever been to outside of Texas was in Mt. Airy.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
We were fortunate to be at the Mayberry Days, when Andy showed for a dedication by TV Land.
What a rare opportunity to see him.
Didn't get to eat at the Tex Mex, but we did get a pork chop sandwich.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I know Mayberry was based loosely on Mount Airy, but isn't the town as it exists today, with it's population of over 10,000, just a bit too big to make a convincing Mayberry? I imagine Mayberry to be a sleepy little town of about 500 to 600 people, max.

Last edited:
I thought they said Mayberry had 2,000 people or so on the series.

I considered moving to Mt. Airy about 5 years ago, but have decided if I make a big move, that it's still too far north for me.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Let me tell you; I'm staying in a tiny North Carolina berg in the Smokey Mountains at the moment. Mayberry is pure fantasy! Don't let your imagination run wild on you. I feel like a real life Oliver Douglas to tell you the truth! --dixon cannon

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
My inlaws live in a town of 3,000 people, that I compare to Mayberry.
One grocery store, one Walmart (small), and 2 car dealerships (Ford and Chevy).
The DQ took personal checks up till 3yrs ago, and they just had a McDonalds built in 2000. (complete with ribbon cutting ceremony, which was a waste because the town rarely eats there LOL)
Funeral notices are under the plexiglass at each register, at THE grocery store.
3 gas stations, one of which will pick up your car from the house, change the oil, and bring the car back to you.
And if someone commits a crime, the police usually know who it is....
At Christmas the town square is decorated, and the HS band plays music before the Christmas parade, usually on the first Friday night on December.
IMHO this is a Mayberry, of course it's in Texas and it's hot as hades!
Mt. Airy has grown large because of TAGS, and also Mayberry Days.
But the feeling is still there, at least last time I went (6-7yrs ago).

My inlaws live in a town of 3,000 people, that I compare to Mayberry.
One grocery store, one Walmart (small), and 2 car dealerships (Ford and Chevy).
The DQ took personal checks up till 3yrs ago, and they just had a McDonalds built in 2000. (complete with ribbon cutting ceremony, which was a waste because the town rarely eats there LOL)
Funeral notices are under the plexiglass at each register, at THE grocery store.
3 gas stations, one of which will pick up your car from the house, change the oil, and bring the car back to you.
And if someone commits a crime, the police usually know who it is....
At Christmas the town square is decorated, and the HS band plays music before the Christmas parade, usually on the first Friday night on December.
IMHO this is a Mayberry, of course it's in Texas and it's hot as hades!
Mt. Airy has grown large because of TAGS, and also Mayberry Days.
But the feeling is still there, at least last time I went (6-7yrs ago).

Whereabouts in Texas?

I did some field work many years ago near a small town, and it was abuzz about finally getting a Walmart. They were so excited they couldn't stand it. When I asked someone why, it was just a Walmart, they said "you don't understand, we can now actually go buy things and take them home right then. If I want some new sox, I can go buy them right there in a real store!" Prior to that, all they had was a catalog store. You walked in, searched through any number of catalogs, ordered what you wanted, and it was there in a couple of weeks.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Caldwell, 25 miles SE of College Station.
Cattle ranches, and oil derricks.
When I visit, and we want to pay lower prices on groceries, we drive 25mi to the "big city" for a Kroger.
The big city has all sorts of interesting things like Best Buy, Walgreens, and a SUPER Walmart. :D
At least that town has various car dealerships, in case I purchase a non Ford or Chevy vehicle and need it serviced.
Same feel as Mt. Airy, and you'll blow through the entire town in 5 minutes if you aren't careful.
If I could find a job in the small town I might just move there....might.
Too dern hot though, with Saturday being 100 according to my FIL.
Uh no...

Caldwell, 25 miles SE of College Station.
Cattle ranches, and oil derricks.
When I visit, and we want to pay lower prices on groceries, we drive 25mi to the "big city" for a Kroger.
The big city has all sorts of interesting things like Best Buy, Walgreens, and a SUPER Walmart. :D
At least that town has various car dealerships, in case I purchase a non Ford or Chevy vehicle and need it serviced.
Same feel as Mt. Airy, and you'll blow through the entire town in 5 minutes if you aren't careful.
If I could find a job in the small town I might just move there....might.
Too dern hot though, with Saturday being 100 according to my FIL.
Uh no...

I know Caldwell well...home of the Kolache Festival!! (25 miles SW of College Station ;))

And yes, it's hot in the summer. The rest of the year is pretty nice, however.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
We always seem to miss the festival, dern it!
Yes, SW. I always try to forget the direction my MIL lives in...:D
It's Mayberry ish though if you think about it.
Except Andy and Barney probably didn't get "breakfast tacos" at the diner.
Breakfast tacos....that would be like me eating breakfast BBQ.

Technonut

Practically Family
Ah, Mayberry... I've often wanted to visit Mount Airy. I've been to Raleigh a bunch of times, and love NC as a state in general. Perhaps one day, I will make the festival.

Remember the Twilight Zone episode ("A Stop at Willoughby") where the fellow got off of the train to finally stay there? I want to take the same train to Mayberry... ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21