Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Jackets on Derek Does.

TLW '90

Practically Family
The USGI M65 will always be the coolest most versatile practical jacket there is.
There are cooler jackets out there, but non with the versatility.
The first jacket I had that I considered cool was an M65, but I mostly just thought it was cool because it was my dads.
Now It's all due to the timeless utilitarian look and all the practical things that I didn't know about it before.
I still have that M65 but don't wear it as much because most of the velcro is missing and it needs a few other repairs.

Harry Fabian

One of the Regulars
The USGI M65 will always be the coolest most versatile practical jacket there is.
There are cooler jackets out there, but non with the versatility.
The first jacket I had that I considered cool was an M65, but I mostly just thought it was cool because it was my dads.
Now It's all due to the timeless utilitarian look and all the practical things that I didn't know about it before.
I still have that M65 but don't wear it as much because most of the velcro is missing and it needs a few other repairs.
If you only buy one field jacket, buy an M65. It is the ultimate field jacket.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
nice vids, you convinced me to get a local m65 replica from my country, probably marketed toward airsoftgun hobbyist, game hunters or mountain trail hikers , it looks decent, just without the liner vest nor the inside facing buttons to mount it on since we live in the tropics. There are supply of vintage og m65 here too but the sizes are mostly oversize and overly priced due to rarity either imported thrifted from US or from local army contract from circa 80-90s, or brand new privately imported in small number for niche market community either from alpha industry, or high end japanese repro, I get a new mid range local replica just for the style and the price, and see what can be upgraded once it arrives, like replacing the zippers and adding some buttons, I need to see the collar too, usually local parka maker like raingear manufacturer don't get the neck hole right and the collar will stick up vertically rather than leaning inward toward the neck that can be improved too by revising the neck hole a little.

Last edited:

TLW '90

Practically Family
If you only buy one field jacket, buy an M65. It is the ultimate field jacket.
Definitely.
Not only is is a jacket, it can be a pillow, the liner can be a sleeping jacket, the ample pockets can carry a lot, and there are buttons on it I still don't know the purpose of which means even more versatility than I've discovered so far.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Apparently the replica is nice enough for me, the collar is tapered and generous, it fits me well and there is enough weight in the fabrics, all zippers are metals antiqued brass, the holes for the draw string are finished with grommets, fully lined, pockets config looks close to the original, just missing some buttons to mount that insulated liner and that 1 button on the front storm flap to mount the fleeced head cover, the rest is good enough for my need
Screenshot_20230912_125848_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230912_125726_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230912_125540_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230912_125700_Gallery.jpg
It still has that elbow room darts , the shoulder gussets / action back are shallow but it doesn't even need it imo. I like the matte dark olive green too.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
This is post washing / soaking in nearly boiling temp water for something like 30 minutes before i switched into cold water with 1 bottle cap of dettol to sanitize it from whatever possible accumulated germ from sewing process and fabric storage without detergent, the water is very clear not much of dye bleed, since the outer shell is 100% cotton it shrank and puckered and picks up creases from wearing and storing more easily
Screenshot_20230913_073118_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230913_073145_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230913_071844_Gallery.jpg
I think it lays good foundation for wear related fading from UV and abbrassion later down the road. The plus are: i like the fabrics and pattern and construction and fit. The minus are: lack of some details like button holes on the collar and a button on the front of its storm flap, and lol epaulette dont have button holes the button there is straightly sewn through it, i will bring it to a shop who makes button holes and will add the missing details as I go, overall I'm happy and earlier today I wore it on a morning 16c stroll and it worked nice.

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
This is post washing / soaking in nearly boiling temp water for something like 30 minutes before i switched into cold water with 1 bottle cap of dettol to sanitize it from whatever possible accumulated germ from sewing process and fabric storage without detergent, the water is very clear not much of dye bleed, since the outer shell is 100% cotton it shrank and puckered and picks up creases from wearing and storing more easily
View attachment 545866
View attachment 545867
View attachment 545868
I think it lays good foundation for wear related fading from UV and abbrassion later down the road. The plus are: i like the fabrics and pattern and construction and fit. The minus are: lack of some details like button holes on the collar and a button on the front of its storm flap, and lol epaulette dont have button holes the button there is straightly sewn through it, i will bring it to a shop who makes button holes and will add the missing details as I go, overall I'm happy and earlier today I wore it on a morning 16c stroll and it worked nice.
That wash really did wonders for the look and vibe of the jacket, gave it some "lived in" appeal. Now you have the appearance of a rugged operator between contracts.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
That wash really did wonders for the look and vibe of the jacket, gave it some "lived in" appeal. Now you have the appearance of a rugged operator between contracts.
thanks, yeah the hot water treatment always works in this side of internet, works on leather, denim, and cotton canvas alike :D long live hot water treatment!

TLW '90

Practically Family
That doesn't look too bad, it just may look like this in due time.
Minus the wonky pocket flaps of course, I believe I straightened them out since taking this picture.

20230203_122915.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
nice wear and fade patina on yours naturally over the decades. I think creases wonkiness, and imperfections is a plus factor for this kind of style, when the pull string is cinched a bit it also adds a lot more drapes and creases too.

TLW '90

Practically Family
nice wear and fade patina on yours naturally over the decades. I think creases wonkiness, and imperfections is a plus factor for this kind of style, when the pull string is cinched a bit it also adds a lot more drapes and creases too.
I just realized yours has the draw string at the waist which is kind of a nice feature not found on the originals, unless it was an early feature I'm not aware of.

I personally prefer the pocket flaps to sit flat so I ironed mine awhile back, but I don't think I ever cared when I was a teenager.
I wish I had taken better care of it over the years, but my dad never took care of it and didn't expect me to when he gave it to me.
In fact he gave it to me so I'd have something I didn't have to worry about messing up.

I keep saying I want to have some repairs done to it one of these days, but I don't know where I'd have the work done.
All the velcro is gone or almost gone, and I think it needs to be resewn where the draw string runs.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
yours should have drawstring on the waist too, from your picture you can see the waist strip is the provision for that, maybe just missing actual string.

the drawstring for the upper waist is non-elastic, while the drawstring for the hem/ lower waist/ hip is elastic on the original.

Velcro is usually balding on the soft side only, so you only need to replace one side , they are all quite a small pieces you can hand sew it I think,
and for some holes on the shell you can hand darn it with similar color thread, weaving new threads into a fabric again, or if you can find similarly faded olive green fabric you can patch it, make it looks like field repair it looks more legit that way too,
but even if you do nothing to it it will not get worse, the original m65 outer shell is cotton-poly or cotton-nylon so as long as you don't bleach it or applying any solvent on it the synthetic filaments in the material should hold the cotton intact forever.

I really was watching way too many m65 youtube contents this week while looking around where and which one to buy and then while waiting for my jacket to arrive, but I really do happy with my modestly priced replica, it is perfect for city dweller basically it is a cotton safari shirt or over shirt with liner, and cotton is very breathy and will fade faster with wear which both I like.

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
View attachment 545866
View attachment 545867
View attachment 545868
Machine dry or air dry?

Peacoat

Bartender
I just realized yours has the draw string at the waist which is kind of a nice feature not found on the originals, unless it was an early feature I'm not aware of.

I personally prefer the pocket flaps to sit flat so I ironed mine awhile back, but I don't think I ever cared when I was a teenager.
I wish I had taken better care of it over the years, but my dad never took care of it and didn't expect me to when he gave it to me.
In fact he gave it to me so I'd have something I didn't have to worry about messing up.

I keep saying I want to have some repairs done to it one of these days, but I don't know where I'd have the work done.
All the velcro is gone or almost gone, and I think it needs to be resewn where the draw string runs.
I have two issue 1960s and both have the waist draw string. The earliest one is a 1965 jacket.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I have two issue 1960s and both have the waist draw string. The earliest one is a 1965 jacket.
Apparently I just forgot about it because I never use the waist draw string, both my '77 Sew Sew and '85 Winfield have it.

I may have to try the waist draw string the next time I wear the old Sew Sew.

TLW '90

Practically Family
yours should have drawstring on the waist too, from your picture you can see the waist strip is the provision for that, maybe just missing actual string.

the drawstring for the upper waist is non-elastic, while the drawstring for the hem/ lower waist/ hip is elastic on the original.

Velcro is usually balding on the soft side only, so you only need to replace one side , they are all quite a small pieces you can hand sew it I think,
It turns out both my m65's have the waist drawstring, I just forgot be because I don't utilize it.

As for the velcro on my '77 m65 it's not balding, but has come unsewn.
Some is barely hanging on and some completely fallen off.
What's there I don't think is balding but the hook side is clogged, I can of course clear it out but never wanted to end up pulling it all the way off.
The hole I'm not really that worried about.
I'll have to take a better look at it, I really just know that it needs some repair and I try not to make anything worse when I wear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner