Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Jackets on Derek Does.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
hand sewing a velcro tab back on is very easy just like sew on a patch, there is even velcro with stick on adhesive on its back already pre cut in small oval patches ready to use. I think you can use poster tack putty (or chewing gum if you must) to lift off stuff clogging the hooks

CatsCan

Practically Family
I have successfully used seam grip as adhesive. Just apply a thin coat on both the velcro and the place it shall go to, wait 10 minutes or so, place the velcro and add a clothespin until dry in about 8 hours or so. The advantages are: no sewing, still flexible, bomb proof.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
BTW japanese are really into this field coat, and keep making tons of in depth fashion analysis videos about it , like this one
I think they can be obsessive about certain thing, perhaps the same with japanese denim and other americana

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have successfully used seam grip as adhesive. Just apply a thin coat on both the velcro and the place it shall go to, wait 10 minutes or so, place the velcro and add a clothespin until dry in about 8 hours or so. The advantages are: no sewing, still flexible, bomb proof.
I think sneaker sole repair glue is another type of adhesive that could withstand velcro action (intentional pulling action) and maintain flexibility. the overnite araldite 2 components epoxy that stay flexible is also another alternative, but yeah they are all permanent and may make stronger bond than the tensile strength of the fabrics so you'll never be able to remove them later. I think all these adhesive is a perfect option to put on patches on leather jacket, since whatever method you use will leave permanent damage to the leather anyway including sewing, so using strong adhesive sounds like a simpler, faster, and better way to do it.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Adding to what’s been said here.

If you love the M-65 for it’s iconic timelessness and are a leather guy i strongly suggest you look for one of these made by Cooper. I don’t know if still made but can be found on ebay if you are patient.
I earned 2 M-65s 50 years ago and still wear them every year. Nothing comes close to that feeling they give you every time you don them. It’s more than comfort or fit, it’s aura.

I wanted to have one made in leather then found the Cooper M-65 in goat some 20 years ago. It is the closest replica, using original specs that can be found and is an amazing upgrade, if that’s even possible.
It cost about $300 new in 03’ and is worth every penny. $100-200 should get you one on ebay.
My 2 cents.
Thank me later.
B

F156BAF7-EEDA-48C4-8400-0F276624F6CC.jpeg
FE666949-4CC4-46C3-AB60-3C5DECAB7C87.jpeg
973ECE2A-F1DE-4AB9-B7C2-5FA9A27EBABB.jpeg

CatsCan

Practically Family
Since we spoke about repairing stuff...
Many of our Jackets have genuine vintage zippers that, depending on where we are, can be quite difficult to replace once they become damaged. My recent acquisition is a 1967 M65 with a rather rare Talon aluminum zipper (Conmar is typically seen on most of them). Now one single tooth has come off (broke apart) on it in a moment of hurry and not using the old zip with care. Removing a single tooth from the upper end of the zipper tape and replacing the broken one with it is diffcult because aluminum tends to be brittle and it brakes easily when pried open. Luckily I found the broken tooth on the floor. It was missing it's lower jaw so I could not put it back on. I realised that the zipper worked with no problem even with it's missing tooth. But when I tried to pull the closed zipper sides from each other with greater force (although it is unlikely that a force like this would affect this small portion in the real world), I realised, that the two "partner"-teeth on the undamaged side were forced towards each other and lost hold on their neighbor teeth, so the zipper could become apart here. There was missing the "cup part" from the missing opposing tooth to keep them apart from each other.
I then took small side cutters, cut the cup part off the broken tooth and put it between the two teeth. The zipper was already working now and I could apply great force to the closed zipper to try to pull them apart and it was a surprisingly strong hold. To hold the little "cup" in it's place I let a drop of superglue sink into the tiny gaps to secure it. It is not going to fall out again and since there is no force attacking it under the normal use of the zipper, I am confident it will stay put. When the zipper is closed, the little cup is kind of locked between it's neighboring teeth and can't fall out..
The gap on the other side of the zipper is still there. I will stiffen this part with super glue gel and secure the tape which is beginning to fray a little (but still is solid) with a tiny amount of seam grip (which is PU glue used to repair ripped tents).
I think pictures will explain it better and the logic behind becomes more clear. Will this hold in the long run? We have to wait and see but it was worth a try (nothing is lost so far).

1.jpg

Talon Aluminum Zip on M65.

2.jpg

Missing tooth on the male side. Cup from the broken tooth pressed between the opposing teeth on female side and secured with superglue.

3.jpg

Close up of pressed in cup.

4.jpg

Closed zipper. The "bridge" on the female side effectivly prevents the two teeth from being pulled towards each other when you try to pull the sides apart.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Many of our Jackets have genuine vintage zippers that, depending on where we are, can be quite difficult to replace once they become damaged. My recent acquisition is a 1967 M65 with a rather rare Talon aluminum zipper (Conmar is typically seen on most of them). Now one single tooth has come off (broke apart) on it in a moment of hurry and not using the old zip with care. Removing a single tooth from the upper end of the zipper tape and replycing the broken one with it is diffcult because aluminum tends to be brittle and it brakes easily when pried open. Luckily I found the broken tooth on the floor. It was missing it's lower jaw so I could not put it back on. I realised that the zipper worked with no problem even with it's missing tooth. But when I tried to pull the closed zipper sides from each other with greater force (although it is unlikely that a force like this would affect this small portion in the real world), I realised, that the two "partner"-teeth on the undamaged side were forced towards each other and lost hold on their neighbor teeth, so the zipper could become apart here. There was missing the "cup part" from the missing opposing tooth to keep them apart from each other.
I then took small side cutters, cut the cup part off the broken tooth and put it between the two teeth. The zipper was already working now and I could apply great force to the closed zipper to try to pull them apart and it was a surprisingly strong hold. To hold the little "cup" in it's place I let a drop of superglue sink into the tiny gaps to secure it. It is not going to fall out again and since there is no force attacking it under the normal use of the zipper, I am confident it will stay put. When the zipper is closed, the little cup is kind of locked between it's neighboring teeth and can't fall out..
The gap on the other side of the zipper is still there. I will stiffen this part with super glue gel and secure the tape which is beginning to fray a little (but still is solid) with a tiny amount of seam grip (which is PU glue used to repair ripped tents).
I think pictures will explain it better and the logic behind becomes more clear. Will this hold in the long run? We have to wait and see but it was worth a try (nothing is lost so far).

View attachment 548583

View attachment 548584
Missing tooth on the male side. Cup from the broken tooth pressed between the opposing teeth on female side.

View attachment 548585

View attachment 548586
Closed zipper. The "bridge" on the female side effectivly prevents the two teeth from being pulled towards each other when you try to pull the sides apart.
Genius!! Hope it lasts.
You’d make any Orthopedic Surgeon proud, Cats.
Or maybe you are one!!
Super cool Talon. The govt used all sorts if zips on them. The Talon is a jewel.
B

CatsCan

Practically Family
Thanks, mate! Not a Surgeon :) but it was a fiddly task however... I will use this jacket on my outdoor jobs over the coming autumn. I will let you know, if it held up after some months. If not, I can always shorten the zipper about an inch and make a new stop there (that was my original plan anyway). But I am curious now if this emergency repair work was sufficient. I bet it was. I agree, the Talon on this M-65 really rocks! A shame that this happened.

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Many of our Jackets have genuine vintage zippers that, depending on where we are, can be quite difficult to replace once they become damaged. My recent acquisition is a 1967 M65 with a rather rare Talon aluminum zipper (Conmar is typically seen on most of them). Now one single tooth has come off (broke apart) on it in a moment of hurry and not using the old zip with care. Removing a single tooth from the upper end of the zipper tape and replacing the broken one with it is diffcult because aluminum tends to be brittle and it brakes easily when pried open. Luckily I found the broken tooth on the floor. It was missing it's lower jaw so I could not put it back on. I realised that the zipper worked with no problem even with it's missing tooth. But when I tried to pull the closed zipper sides from each other with greater force (although it is unlikely that a force like this would affect this small portion in the real world), I realised, that the two "partner"-teeth on the undamaged side were forced towards each other and lost hold on their neighbor teeth, so the zipper could become apart here. There was missing the "cup part" from the missing opposing tooth to keep them apart from each other.

View attachment 548583

View attachment 548584
Missing tooth on the male side. Cup from the broken tooth pressed between the opposing teeth on female side.

View attachment 548585

View attachment 548586
so perhaps secure it with a tiny drop of thread locker inside the cup or perhaps elastic clear superglue, or solder it from the inside, otherwise it may fall when you sit and the lower part of the jacket moves around

CatsCan

Practically Family
The little cup is of course secured with superglue, maybe I have forgotten to write. I guess it is rock solid. But we will see in the long run. It is an experiment :).

edit: I see I have mentioned the superglue in the text but not in the image description. Added now. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner