Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yikes! I would hope people don't think that's necessary. I love engineers, but that came before my love for leather jackets. If you look at photos from the 1930s and 40s, nobody wears engineers with leather jackets.

Yeah I don't get it at all. We've talked about it in another thread I think but there are a lot of people who think that "workwear" is a uniform that requires wearing x boots, a huge chain wallet, y jeans, to wear a jacket because of Instagram marketing from stores or advertorial sites like Stitchdown (whose 'review' of a pair of engineer boots literally included a digression with a screenshot of asking S&S about which pair of pants they sell need to be worn with engineers, and the writer declaring that he got those pants… I know they're one of the stores that pay for Stitchdown but that was way too on the nose lol.)

Like you my interest in shoes and boots predates and is separate from liking leather jackets, so I found it funny when the guy thought he needed engineers to wear a leather jacket. Meanwhile, I have a closet full of boots yet I usually wear leather jackets without boots!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Pointless to argue about fashion really. All it takes is a quick search of what was "hot" in fill in the blank years of past.

I guess there's some common sense rules, but I'm not going to be one of those people who scold people over an inch or two in length or whatever. I mean if you're trying to emulate a certain look/era for whatever reason, then sure, you should probably play by those guidelines. But if you're just trying to dress cool in "today's" age, then have at it.

Maxxmitten

New in Town
I usually wear boots without a leather jacket, but I probably am wearing boots when I wear my Field Leathers jacket (on topic). I think it's OK to like all those things, but if you try to wear them all at once, it does start to look like a costume. A wise wan once said, "It's not a costume contest."

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I don't get it at all. We've talked about it in another thread I think but there are a lot of people who think that "workwear" is a uniform that requires wearing x boots, a huge chain wallet, y jeans, to wear a jacket because of Instagram marketing from stores or advertorial sites like Stitchdown (whose 'review' of a pair of engineer boots literally included a digression with a screenshot of asking S&S about which pair of pants they sell need to be worn with engineers, and the writer declaring that he got those pants… I know they're one of the stores that pay for Stitchdown but that was way too on the nose lol.)

Like you my interest in shoes and boots predates and is separate from liking leather jackets, so I found it funny when the guy thought he needed engineers to wear a leather jacket. Meanwhile, I have a closet full of boots yet I usually wear leather jackets without boots!
It's weird because I also wear engineers because they're quick to put on. It's part convenience and part looks. I've just always preferred laceless boots because of how much I've always loved western films.

I would hope the point of that post was to show that engineers look terrible with slim fit trousers.

It's not just engineers thought there are also red wing uniforms and viberg uniforms. All still uniforms though.

I don't think having a certain look is bad. I obviously have one, but I think its important to wear what you like because YOU like it, not because you think you should wear it or because it's popular in some circles.

Hide'n'seek

One of the Regulars
I am a tucked shirt guy most of the time. But sometimes I untuck. I am sure there are vintage photos where guys would worn shirts untucked under their jackets.
View attachment 489846 View attachment 489847

Just locked in my build spec wtih Sam. Highwayman with splay collar.
Highwayman? ...........they don't offer a Highwayman. Surely they wouldn't agree to copy one

Aloysius

I would hope the point of that post was to show that engineers look terrible with slim fit trousers.
LOL I was describing that "article" ad from memory and your mentioning that led me to look it up again. It's worse than I remembered (and has thrice the amount of product placement and store plugs).

It's not just engineers thought there are also red wing uniforms and viberg uniforms. All still uniforms though.

Yeah, certain items have become requirements. Like the "Red Wing Iron Ranger". Or the moment someone expresses an interest in, say, raw denim someone will try to steer him into getting a pair of heavy Wesco/Viberg/Nick boots that probably have zero relevance to his lifestyle. (I definitely own and wear things I don't need but it's funny to see people steered towards stuff that's expensive because they're engineered for specific work tasks. The same amount of money spent on a purely 'civilian' pair of shoes or boots would probably get you something more handy.)

I don't think having a certain look is bad. I obviously have one, but I think its important to wear what you like because YOU like it, not because you think you should wear it or because it's popular in some circles.

Yeah, this is the door to having a closet full of regrets. I've seen guys who go to S&S or SE and get kitted out in thousands of dollars worth of stuff the store says they're supposed to like, and a few months later they're not wearing any of it because they didn't end up liking it like they were "supposed" to.

It's like the more expensive flip side of buying something just because it's on sale. Both have the same result of wasted closet space and money.

Aloysius

Highwayman? ...........they don't offer a Highwayman. Surely they wouldn't agree to copy one

Canuck Panda refers to every waist length jacket of that general shape, from the Vanson Oxford to Rainbow Country in Japan as a "Highwayman", the way people call cross-zips with a patch pocket "Perfecto", even if they're not Perfectos.

I was very confused at first until I figured out the lingo.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
He doesn’t call it that name. That would be me generalizing it. The truth is everyone has tried to imitate it, bottom band, three pocket setup. I like yours (Aero) the best. I have two, black and brown. Maybe another one. But navy jackets first.

Aloysius

Personally I think what you call a Highwayman design is more like a straight CHP jacket with a pocket instead of the badge holder.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, anything with a bottom band, belt loops or no belt loops, two hand warmers and one chest pocket is in the ball park for me. There are many names, Single Rider, CHP, Barneveld remix, Johnny jacket, Tailgunner, Heracles, Wingman…. list goes on and on.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
LOL I was describing that "article" ad from memory and your mentioning that led me to look it up again. It's worse than I remembered (and has thrice the amount of product placement and store plugs).

Yeah, certain items have become requirements. Like the "Red Wing Iron Ranger". Or the moment someone expresses an interest in, say, raw denim someone will try to steer him into getting a pair of heavy Wesco/Viberg/Nick boots that probably have zero relevance to his lifestyle. (I definitely own and wear things I don't need but it's funny to see people steered towards stuff that's expensive because they're engineered for specific work tasks. The same amount of money spent on a purely 'civilian' pair of shoes or boots would probably get you something more handy.)

Yeah, this is the door to having a closet full of regrets. I've seen guys who go to S&S or SE and get kitted out in thousands of dollars worth of stuff the store says they're supposed to like, and a few months later they're not wearing any of it because they didn't end up liking it like they were "supposed" to.

It's like the more expensive flip side of buying something just because it's on sale. Both have the same result of wasted closet space and money.

This is that unfortunate mob mentality orkeepong up eith the Joneses ideology that permeates pretty much all hobbies sadly. In many cases, people's styles evolve naturally, but some of it is people just realizing they were not thinking for themselves.

Of course, some just stay in that cycle for far too long. What I will say about myself is that I'm sure glad I never bought any Iron Rangers!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I'm not saying it's a good look... I actually sold almost all my slimfit trousers... But I don't think it's a terrible look per se.

27339E57-8732-4B4C-BBAE-5F249F5237C9.jpeg

Aloysius

I'm not saying it's a good look... I actually sold almost all my slimfit trousers... But I don't think it's a terrible look per se.

View attachment 489958

I think this looks good. In the article we were thinking of, the author isn’t in jeans, but is wearing 19th century repro workwear trousers in a slim tapered shape. It’s a very jarring combination. He also has skinny-stretch corduroys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran