Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Damon141

Practically Family
Badalassi is about to make a return...
@MrProper, as I handler of both Greg's Shinki and Badalassi, do you think that Badalassi would be good fit for a 1940's Sport Jacket?
I ask you because you love the stuff and I'm not biased on any leather

I've mentioned it dozen or so times but I have 2 Fields Jackets in The works, 1 Racer will be in a classic pigment Shinki and the other was going to be Full Aniline for the collared sports jacket. Badalassi now has me thinking.
That's awesome. I love Badalassi.
Same Question Jake, I'll get samples but nothin beats real world experience from members like you guys. Since I will have a Shinki Racer and my brown steerhide Himel racer. I also have a Regius in motion like Tony's which will be full Aniline. So I guess I'm wondering if that Full Aniline Shinki is good enough to have 2 jackets in it or am I missing something by not adding a little Badalassi in my life?
That's if Greg will do black
haha, sure thing. In all honesty, photographing this thing is really hard. Especially the back, I can't get the right angle to showcase it, but I'll post a few front shots in the meantime.

The brown pony is a dream, no doubt my best leather all things considered. Weight is in-between a Vic and FQHH but totally pliable, soft, supple. All the good qualities of CXL, none of the bad. Just lights out. But I can see why Greg doesn't want to work with it. Matching panels has got to be a pain and there's a lot of marks and scarring. I also learned the hard way it probably shouldn't get wet and be exposed to sun (some water marks and staining). Color varies so much depending on lighting. I would say generally it's in the walnut stain range with a tinge of cherry wood. There's lots of black undertones/freckling.

Design was La Brea inspired with lots of changes to front (remove belt, epaulettes, change to snap pocket). Back is pretty much a LaBrea rip off. Liner was dealer's choice and I think Sam/Greg did well. At last second we added the sleeve cuff studs.

Fit is pretty close to what I wanted. Reason why I got it wet and hung in the sun was to tighten it up a little bit and help with the sleeve creases. But I have room for a mid weight sweatshirt. I did pad the stats a 1/4 inch at last second because of all the winter binging, but probably didn't need to. I wanted it longer as I like how my J24L fits, but I wouldn't argue with you if you said it should be a little shorter. I definitely recommend getting the fit jacket though as a few major things were caught. Most importantly the shoulder bulging thing that has been discussed. I ended up asking for the patented "Marc" rotation and I think that did the trick.

Some tiny nit picky things that only the obsessed think about but literally detract nothing. I think the lapels could be a little wider and flare out a little deeper. Given the lack of pockets, that might have balanced out the negative space better. Maybe the D Pocket placed a tiny bit higher, again for same reason of the spacing. I might have gone .25 too long on the sleeves, but from experience, these are going to come up a little more so I'm not worried about it. At some point, I might pimp out the snap, maybe some sort of GoodArt Hollywood kind of thing. Greg doesn't have much variety to pick from as part of his stock.

Diff in color, shade vs sun:

View attachment 515684

View attachment 515686

Some examples of the brilliant craftsmanship Greg is known for. Also note the variance in grain, panels, etc. Probably not good for a picky customer expecting some sort of homogenized treatment.

View attachment 515682 View attachment 515685 View attachment 515683

And fit:

View attachment 515694 View attachment 515695
This fits with the best of them. All your jackets fit well even that damn Himel but I will say that this shines in the upper arm, closet fit around the biceps and higher arm holes which gives it a fitted/tailored look. Maybe not fair considering the other wax 2nd hand but this is nice and the button snap D-Pocket justifies the similar looks, not to mention that brown pony. Great jacket

mvilla

A-List Customer
@MrProper, as I handler of both Greg's Shinki and Badalassi, do you think that Badalassi would be good fit for a 1940's Sport Jacket?

I've mentioned it dozen or so times but I have 2 Fields Jackets in The works, 1 Racer will be in a classic pigment Shinki and the other was going to be Full Aniline for the collared sports jacket. Badalassi now has me thinking.

Same Question Jake, I'll get samples but nothin beats real world experience from members like you guys. Since I will have a Shinki Racer and my brown steerhide Himel racer. I also have a Regius in motion like Tony's which will be full Aniline. So I guess I'm wondering if that Full Aniline Shinki is good enough to have 2 jackets in it or am I missing something by not adding a little Badalassi in my life?
That's if Greg will do black

This fits with the best of them. All your jackets fit well even that damn Himel but I will say that this shines in the upper arm, closet fit around the biceps and higher arm holes which gives it a fitted/tailored look. Maybe not fair considering the other wax 2nd hand but this is nice and the button snap D-Pocket justifies the similar looks, not to mention that brown pony. Great jacket
He said in his video black will be one for sure. But I think it wasn't decided between nappa and nappa lux.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
Check out Greg's IG story if you haven't already. He told me that 99% of people are voting for the regular Nappa over the Nappa Lux because of the squeakiness. Greg said he will probably offer three colors: black, tobacco, and either russet or natural.

mvilla

A-List Customer
Nappa lux is gorgeous, for sure. But I've only had it for a week and my wife already hates me

Edit: I just re-read this and sounds like I don't like the leather. Actually it's quite the opposite, I really do! The squeak is annoying for sure, but it seems to be more annoying to those around me than to myself haha

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
nappa is also good with water, beads no soak through:

badalassi nappa beads water.jpg

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
@Damon141 Shinki and Badalassi are my two favorite leathers for jackets. Both tend to have nice depth of color, a bit of shine without looking plastic, and are stiff enough to give beautiful creasing. Shinki is sometimes quite smooth, sometimes grainy. In my experience, Badalassi is more consistent in terms of how much visible grain it has, at least for jackets. I also personally really like the grain it has. It's more varied and not as pebble-y as some cowhide is. I wish I still had a Badalassi jacket. The color depth to me is amazing.

Last edited:

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had already signed up for a Badalassi from Greg back then, but then he decided not to do anything in Badalassi anymore. That was it with FL ;)
Even though I liked the Shinki back then, I like Aero's Badalassi better. Not for nothing a second Badalassi is in production right now.
Unfortunately I can't tell you exactly which I like better, but visually the Badalassi has a shimmer without being too shiny. Maybe it's also depth of color, although you can't speak of color with black. Also, it feels good to the touch. Thick, soft but without being floppy. I have no idea how to describe it. I would definitely take the Badalassi.
Stupid is only that tastes are different. What one finds super, must not be super for the other.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
These cuffs are amazing!
thanks, man. the original in the fit jacket were about 1.5 inches shorter and not as extreme angle. So we changed that. I wish his sleeve seams were a little bit more to the back though so more of the cuff could be showcased, but I think this is a pattern thing for Greg and it sounded pretty complicated to change up.

haha, sure thing. In all honesty, photographing this thing is really hard. Especially the back, I can't get the right angle to showcase it, but I'll post a few front shots in the meantime.

The brown pony is a dream, no doubt my best leather all things considered. Weight is in-between a Vic and FQHH but totally pliable, soft, supple. All the good qualities of CXL, none of the bad. Just lights out. But I can see why Greg doesn't want to work with it. Matching panels has got to be a pain and there's a lot of marks and scarring. I also learned the hard way it probably shouldn't get wet and be exposed to sun (some water marks and staining). Color varies so much depending on lighting. I would say generally it's in the walnut stain range with a tinge of cherry wood. There's lots of black undertones/freckling.

Design was La Brea inspired with lots of changes to front (remove belt, epaulettes, change to snap pocket). Back is pretty much a LaBrea rip off. Liner was dealer's choice and I think Sam/Greg did well. At last second we added the sleeve cuff studs.

Fit is pretty close to what I wanted. Reason why I got it wet and hung in the sun was to tighten it up a little bit and help with the sleeve creases. But I have room for a mid weight sweatshirt. I did pad the stats a 1/4 inch at last second because of all the winter binging, but probably didn't need to. I wanted it longer as I like how my J24L fits, but I wouldn't argue with you if you said it should be a little shorter. I definitely recommend getting the fit jacket though as a few major things were caught. Most importantly the shoulder bulging thing that has been discussed. I ended up asking for the patented "Marc" rotation and I think that did the trick.

Some tiny nit picky things that only the obsessed think about but literally detract nothing. I think the lapels could be a little wider and flare out a little deeper. Given the lack of pockets, that might have balanced out the negative space better. Maybe the D Pocket placed a tiny bit higher, again for same reason of the spacing. I might have gone .25 too long on the sleeves, but from experience, these are going to come up a little more so I'm not worried about it. At some point, I might pimp out the snap, maybe some sort of GoodArt Hollywood kind of thing. Greg doesn't have much variety to pick from as part of his stock.

Diff in color, shade vs sun:

View attachment 515684

View attachment 515686

Some examples of the brilliant craftsmanship Greg is known for. Also note the variance in grain, panels, etc. Probably not good for a picky customer expecting some sort of homogenized treatment.

View attachment 515682 View attachment 515685 View attachment 515683

And fit:

View attachment 515694 View attachment 515695
SU-FREAKING-PERB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I’m not sure what calling out narcissistic wannabe influencers on Instagram has to do with field leather jackets. I think you’re just trying to get a rise out of me. I’m sorry if I upset you. Aren’t you a moderator on this forum?
I have plenty of jackets. Actually selling them at this point. Not interested in buying pointy shouldered Italian cowhide jackets thank you very much.
You are acting like a petulant child - and you honestly wonder why FL wouldnt accomodate your requests. I know he has used the forum in the past, and it really wouldnt take a master detective to work out that you are the guy whos been hassling or moaning at him via email or whatever. I'm self employed, much like Greg of FL (although in a very different field) , and when I come across someone who is proving difficult, or who messages in a tone I dont like they get told no at best, if not completely ignored. Do you think it's possible that a similar thing has happened to you with FL?

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
I got my money back and used it to buy a Rainbow Country Hercules. Far better leather, far better pattern, no pointy shoulders and I didn’t get beat up on a forum for trying to clarify my order or speak up haha.
And with the extra money I bought an Aero half belt. They have about 5 times the leather options and the fit is spot on if you know how to order. They even have a lot in stock at Thurstin brothers in the US.
Great - what are you doing posting in the Field Leathers thread then?

I wish Greg and Sam well in their endeavors. I haven’t had a great experience. This is a forum to discuss field leathers. I am here to discuss my experience. I’m not here to kiss anybody’s butt, help or hurt anybody’s business or put my subjective take on anything. I’m here to discuss field leathers, the good bad and ugly. Maybe you should start a thread entitled : Field Leathers- only positive experiences if you take issue.
I put down a deposit long time ago on shinki ponyhide jacket. They decide to pull said leather but still offer it to some people, just not me. My order comes up and I say I do t see anything comparable to shinki ponyhide how about badalassi and they flat out say no, either accept a completely different hide, cowhide, not even the same animal. When I get annoyed and speak up I’m labeled a troll on this forum. Then a month later they announce they are bringing Badalassi in. Now I’ve lost my spot where I waited for over a year and they could be building my Idaho in badalassi…..but yes I’m the problem and I’m the troll…….if you are perusing this forum just know this is just about the only honest response here. All these other folks are emotionally invested in the brand and don’t have the sand to give an objective honest take…..I would never have even come on this forum if they had just made the product I purchased to begin with….

Field leathers is the best jacket maker ever. Like the bestest…….and their customer service department ie Sam. Also best ever. And their business practices…..also just super great…..
You've thoroughly aired your grievance by saying the same thing over and over again, like a broken record. Maybe you should've been more patient or done more homework before you pulled yourself from the queue....
Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately the collateral damage is Greg's business or Rainbow Country's business depending on what side one would take. But I happen to like both brands...

The RC single rider fits a bit longer and FL single rider fits a bit shorter. The RC has straight sleeves and FL has curve sleeves. Both are quite good. It would come down to the buyer's location, this would be the number one factor in which brand to purchase imo. The second major factor would be sizing as RC only stocks up to 44 in very limited retailers, mostly only up to 40 or 42. The largest jacket I've seen Greg make is a size 48 or 50 I can't remember.
I don't have an issue with either brand's patterns or their leather choices. Again, it would come down to where you're located as that can impact which one is more available.

IMG_5899.jpg

Fun fact / hack, if I had added an inch to Greg's single rider it would end up looking like the RC, both are running on the ") (" torso shape without using any waist cinch.

Now that's outta the way, what I really wanted to post about is the BELTS! J FJ Baker Sadlle leather to be exact:
https://www.jfjbaker.co.uk/

If you like leather, give this saddle leather a look see. It's a bit stiffer and waxier than the Wickett Craig and Hermann Oak bridle, which are also very nice. The JFJ Baker stuff is a lot denser with their oak bark tanning. The J FJ Baker belt will need a lot more break in than the bridle leather from US or Japan (Tochigi).

And since Greg is only starting to make belts he is not charging the going market rate for them, which make it a very good deal imo, at least the sale page one I've got.

FL vs RC belt, both JFJ Baker Bridle leather. Greg does a clear finish on the edge so it would patina darker, while RC does a dark finish on the edge so it would fade lighter:
IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

From left to right, J FJ Baker bridle, Tochigi bridle, Herman Oak Bridle, Wickett Craig Bridle. Imo, one can skip on the Tochigi bridle as it is the softest and most fashion like leather. Both Herman Oak and Wickett Craig is about the same stiffness just different colors, medium firm temper. J FJ is firm temper, this leather will outlast any human lives...

Interesting fact, the Japanese brands don't give you a lot of extra leather, the fold over is shorter, less bulky but also less leather. The Western brands give you a more leather, with longer fold overs, the extra bulk is really not noticeable, feels like a much better deal.

IMG_5927.JPG

mvilla

A-List Customer
I bought the cheapest one he was offering, because it was "damaged". I got it and, honestly, looks like a mark I'd make myself after a couple wears and never notice hahah
Pretty sweet deal, if you ask me.

Really liked the buckle too.

Edit to add photos

Buckle!

20230516_184839.jpg
20230516_184847.jpg

"Defect"
20230516_184857.jpg

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Ok they can make nice belts, but why? I mean, I can buy a nice belt anywhere. My options for getting a premium custom made leather jacket are much more limited. That's what FL is about imo, high end custom made leather jackets.

Or am I missing something?

Reactions: TG3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran