Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

oskar

One of the Regulars
I have the direct comparision between the shinki pony and horween cxl in black. The CXL ist nice but the pony looks a little bit better in my opinion. They are both the same weight, but the shinki is sooo soft. Very easy to wear.

dannyk

One Too Many
@Peacoat could you please merge this tread with the other Field Leathers thread? I have no idea why we started a new one :)
I started it simply as a one stop about increased pricing for Field. I didn’t actually think anyone was going to comment but I should have realized this would happen or could have included don’t post, Just see the price, but then it became it’s own beast haha. Merging it would be most good.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If it were an option with Fields then I would choose a mid weight combination tanned Horween leather for one of the jackets that I am waiting on. I do feel like it would last longer than Shinki especially for the one that I will ride in.

I can’t imagine he would want to work with CXL again, if that’s what you mean. A different Horween like Vermont, or a British/European hide with similar characteristics could be possible, especially if you sourced it.

Perhaps you and some other riders in the queue could request as a group that he orders in some chrome tan Shinki for your jackets. That would give you the weather resistance you want.

If more people would ask then he might be on board but it’s hard for a small maker to keep it in stock if nobody requests it.
I have to wonder how many jackets that Simmons Built churns out because they seem to have over 10 leather choices on hand. I didn’t realize they were a larger operation

I don’t think they’re huge. But the criminals who founded it aimed to destroy Aero by selling Aero patterns at a lower price and different leathers, on the one hand, or through collaborations with hipster fashion victim stores like Standard & Strange, so they have a decent workload.

dannyk

One Too Many
I can’t imagine he would want to work with CXL again, if that’s what you mean. A different Horween like Vermont, or a British/European hide with similar characteristics could be possible, especially if you sourced it.

Perhaps you and some other riders in the queue could request as a group that he orders in some chrome tan Shinki for your jackets. That would give you the weather resistance you want.

I don’t think they’re huge. But the criminals who founded it aimed to destroy Aero by selling Aero patterns at a lower price and different leathers, on the one hand, or through collaborations with hipster fashion victim stores like Standard & Strange, so they have a decent workload.
Over the years they have worked their way away from just being Aero with different leathers and offer a lot more and have entered mainstream realms as you’ve said through different stockists and collabs…..but for those who remember that it’s hard to move on from, hard to forgive all that.

red devil

No point in stirring this, we had enough flame wars regarding this.

Some people can't move on, and others believe that the criminal - the ex Aero manager who stole the patterns - has been judged. They currently have a very different opffering compared to Aero.

dannyk

One Too Many
No point in stirring this, we had enough flame wars regarding this.

Some people can't move on, and others believe that the criminal - the ex Aero manager who stole the patterns - has been judged. They currently have a very different opffering compared to Aero.
Yeah no sense. Been done to death here. So anyone curious you can do some searches and find the answers if you’re unaware. For those that are aware everyone has already picked a side or moved on. Good call.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
About Field Leathers Shinki...

The Shinki Greg uses is top notch stuff. The way he uses them is even better, just watch his making video, he doesn't use the perimeter parts of the hides. There is no question about that. I may have my opinion about his pattern and sizing for now, but not the material he uses, or the way he uses them. Top notch.

There is no concern about the weather resistant ability with Greg's Shinki jackets. Period. Veg tan will survive the rain just fine. Just don't dry it next to the radiator. Let it dry slowly at room temp.

About the Simmonsbilt/Aero...

I know people get upset when they see injustice. So do I, sometimes. Gen X here so cynical by default.

But the only reason I bought my first SB jacket was because seeing all the dramatic posts here. I didn't buy it to support SB. I did it out of curiosity. As a side note I have more Aero jackets than I do SB, 3:1 ratio, but I support neither, only get what I think I cannot get anywhere else, purely selfish reasons.

Sometimes bad news is better than no news, or even good news. Had I not see the SB name pop up so many times I would NOT have bought my first one. Same with Bill Kelso. Again I am not supporting any one or trying to right any wrongs. Just saying it's very human to be drawn to anything more dramatic than usual; regardless if it's good or bad. Just marketing 101. Familiarity by repeating.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Greg has been pretty easy to work with and for the most part pretty accommodating as many of you share your stories. At least that's been my experience. Part of what makes the jacket a Field Leathers jacket is the choices he makes. If he starts adding leathers, patterns, whatever on every whim, then what's the point? I get both sides of the argument, but I'm in favor of small boutique operations maintaining their viewpoint. If you don't like it, pick someone else. There's no judgement in any case at end of day, it's your money, choose to spend it how you want, and I'm sure Greg will continue to try and please. I just worry we're all going to start looking like carbon copy mannequins on this site.

Damon141

Practically Family
If it were an option with Fields then I would choose a mid weight combination tanned Horween leather for one of the jackets that I am waiting on. I do feel like it would last longer than Shinki especially for the one that I will ride in.

If more people would ask then he might be on board but it’s hard for a small maker to keep it in stock if nobody requests it.
I have to wonder how many jackets that Simmons Built churns out because they seem to have over 10 leather choices on hand. I didn’t realize they were a larger operation

Forums sometimes get off track, in no way was I questioning business practices as you can see above. I was just saying if it were an option to get a Horween variety then I would when the time comes.

If I put 2 deposits down for 2 jackets knowing that Shinki is all he offers then clearly I’m fine with that.

In any case it if things stay like they are then I will have a Navy Blue Route 66 and either a full aniline or pony Idaho. I love the look of the Blue Shinki in the daylight on his instagram,

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Forums sometimes get off track, in no way was I questioning business practices as you can see above. I was just saying if it were an option to get a Horween variety then I would when the time comes.

If I put 2 deposits down for 2 jackets knowing that Shinki is all he offers then clearly I’m fine with that.

In any case it if things stay like they are then I will have a Navy Blue Route 66 and either a full aniline or pony Idaho. I love the look of the Blue Shinki in the daylight on his instagram,
no worries. I wasn't specifically calling you out. More a general feeling I'm getting from several threads, especially more so lately. i.e. The jacket has to be exactly this long. you have to wear your pants exactly like this. etc. etc. Like I said, Greg is more approachable than most and ultimately will still put his stamp on things. For my own opinion, I don't want all my jackets looking the same. So the unique combo of leather, design, measurements, etc. is what keeps me in the game.

Damon141

Practically Family
He is a rare breed, a super nice guy. I just know how things get lost in translation on forums and didn’t want him or anyone interpreting my comment as dissatisfaction on leather choices.
I am just happy to have access to someone with his attention to detail. A Navy blue Shinki. Route 66 is really sounding unique right now.

MrProper

I put my Route 66 in the Classifieds:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB