Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

calvin006

New in Town
Does anyone know what the typical production time is to produce a jacket once your pattern has been finalized, from Start to Finish? A week?

I'd say it depends. From my experience, it seems Sam lines up the spec and pattern ahead of time, so there is still a queue for production. Finalizing the pattern doesn't mean the jacket immediately goes into production. Once my spec was ready, it was a few weeks before my pattern was being cut.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Image1.jpg

Tochigi veg tan cow.
Not my jacket, saw it on IG and I asked him what leather it was. At first I thought it was brick red brown Shinki but turns out to be Tochigi. The color is wild. It's nice to see Greg venture outside of the three different shades of black.

Damon141

Practically Family
That looks great, I love the new horizontal pocket he has been doing on the Route 66.

With your vibrant array of jacket colors I thought this was yours. Especially when I saw the Rainbow Country in the background. I remembered you asking for a lining like they do in sections.
View attachment 469211
Tochigi veg tan cow.
Not my jacket, saw it on IG and I asked him what leather it was. At first I thought it was brick red brown Shinki but turns out to be Tochigi. The color is wild. It's nice to see Greg venture outside of the three different shades of black.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That looks great, I love the new horizontal pocket he has been doing on the Route 66.

With your vibrant array of jacket colors I thought this was yours. Especially when I saw the Rainbow Country in the background. I remembered you asking for a lining like they do in sections.
Not my jacket unfortunately. Just saw it went to his sale page. Very tempted... The red one and the San Francisco...

I don't have the best patience when it comes to waiting for jackets. I hope I don't make bad impulsive decisions this weekend.

willyto

One Too Many
Not my jacket unfortunately. Just saw it went to his sale page. Very tempted... The red one and the San Francisco...

I don't have the best patience when it comes to waiting for jackets. I hope I don't make bad impulsive decisions this weekend.
Trying to be the sensible one here.

How many jackets do you currently own? How many do you actually wear?

Based on that… make your choice. Enjoy the product and not the buying process.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I think most of us own more jackets than we need. I mean, how many jackets does a person need, two maybe three?

I certainly own more jackets than I need or can wear. But that's OK because it's a hobby and I enjoy having all those jackets. Does it really matter then whether one owns 20 or 200 jackets?

Enjoy the product and not the buying process.
What's wrong with enjoying the buying process? I certainly enjoy the buying process: The hunt for vintage, the process of designing or going over all of the different options when buying custom. For me it's a significant part of the fun tbh.

willyto

One Too Many
I think most of us own more jackets than we need. I mean, how many jackets does a person need, two maybe three?

I certainly own more jackets than I need or can wear. But that's OK because it's a hobby and I enjoy having all those jackets. Does it really matter then whether one owns 20 or 200 jackets?

What's wrong with enjoying the buying process? I certainly enjoy the buying process: The hunt for vintage, the process of designing or going over all of the different options when buying custom. For me it's a significant part of the fun tbh.
I understand but I just feel that sometimes the hobby can turn into hoarding/addiction and people get hung up on the dopamine feeling that purchasing something new gives us(Me included)

Hey, if that doesn’t put any strain on the bank account be my guest! :p

But if he’s tempted then might aswell get the two then haha

I can’t get tempted by them because almost every single one is 40-42-44 and very long.

I wish I stayed true to my words and actually sold everything I don’t wear and can’t wear(small or big) which could lead to other more interesting purchases.

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
All valid points. Greg already has my money for a custom jacket in the queue, it's either that one very expensive custom jacket few months later or two reasonably priced sale page jackets next week.
In time, my closet will get downsized and stuff will be sold off to others who are expanding their closet. I just went through the downsize process of big ticket stuff in my garage. This expansion/downsize process happens in life's background, so that's the hobby part I suppose.
Back to Greg's sale jackets, from the dimensions did he tweak the patterns?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The upcoming San Francisco is very very expensive. Makes that stock one even more of a bargain, if the size works (I don’t think I could manage that PTP without bi swing.)

I’m happy for him but it seems like I’ve missed the boat on FL as a bargain. At that price, I think I might save more and get the Lost Worlds version. (Speaking of which, I just looked at his site and it looks like @Carlos840 has one already. Are you going to do a post on it? I would love to see/read more.)

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
£1400 for Greg's custom Peters. Then add options on top of that.

Lost World is US $2,500

Freewheeler's was ¥330,000 before they cancelled orders.

If I remember correctly the "Peter's Tailor Made" from Japan starts at around ¥220,000 for basic cowhide, more for horsehide or elk skin. But language barrier can be an issue ordering custom jackets from Japan. Stock jackets I don't have an issue but custom most likely not, so many things can be misunderstood through the translation programs.

The Peter's pattern is expensive everywhere I look. Even Johnson gave me a much higher than usual custom jacket quote for a Peters. About what Greg charges and then some.

I think I can squeeze into that San Francisco test pattern. Young and hot personal trainers starts at CAD$ 60 an hour. It takes about 6 months to lose a fat layer off my belly. Wine and dine cost extra. The experience is priceless.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
It’s higher than this, and I’m not including test jacket or custom option fees.
What! He increased price again!? That was the price £1400 for my queue about a few months ago. What is Greg asking for for the Peters now?

I almost forgot I have a BK Peters. I don’t have it with me right now so it escaped my mind. But it was the best value overall before he raised prices. And jacket is made very well. All the details except the tag. it convinced me to get a Badalassi leathertog from him. But I can’t recommend him because he isn’t liked here for many reasons, and his lead time is also Very very long.
I also tried to get Regius to make some type of Peters, but I think he’s focused at perfecting his next western styling jacket.

Just curious what’s Greg asking for Peters now? Base price and option price?

Damon141

Practically Family

You might own a few more than average .
One could say that it’s too many to wear but just like collecting anything, you will almost always have more than you can use, plus if you make good buying choices/decisions then you can always sell and recover the investment, especially with many of the great vintage jackets.

I also enjoy the buying and build process of picking the different options that go into a custom jacket. Especially fun when you have a builder like Greg and others willing to make changes to their models which is really a privilege imo

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’m tempted to go for one of them. Would be less than half the price of new (and closer to what I had budgeted in mind when I originally placed a FL order).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ