Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Field Leathers

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
@FullSnd716 I got one this morning.
For £850 I thought it was a great deal. Especially compared to the used McCoy ones I was looking at from Japan. ¥300,000 new, ¥200,000 used with bald sleeve ends and bald hems and no sizing.
The website didn’t want to work with my IPad or I’m just too old. Had to use my phone to log in and complete the transaction.
it’s probably one of the worst time to introduce a shearling jacket, spring is here, tax filing is next month. but in business failures are just as valuable as success.

TG3

One of the Regulars
I absolutely love this leather. Lots of character and variation in color in regards to direct and indirect sunlight.

It was a cold ass winter so it didn't get as much wear as I'd like but it is starting to take shape.

20230319_140311.jpg
20230319_141039.jpg

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There is a difference between

this is actually a really interesting topic (to me at least), from what I can gather, there seems to be some distinction between sheepskins. Lewis leathers makes an entire line of motorcycle jackets in sheepskin. It’s their signature hide. Langlitz, addict and various other makers have sheepskin variants of their jackets and what was explained to me is these are different than sheepskin with sherling which is somehow much less abrasion resistant. Maybe sherling sheepskin is skived down or something. Someone told me that goat and sheepskin have been used for a long time here in the southwest US as warm weather motorcycle jackets. Shoot I hope that is correct because I’ve been riding around in my AD10 sheepskin jacket in the summer. Anybody care to weigh in? Maybe the Lewis leather sheepskin jackets really aren’t made for actual motorcycle use, I’m no expert.

A few points:

Addict is a fashion brand that exists so people in Japan can have cheaper (there) copies of Lewis Leathers. Yes, some idiots import it to the west at a higher cost to LL so that they can soil their pants at the thought of “made in Japan”, but I guarantee Addict buyers in Japan would find that strange.

Yes, English kids in the mid-20th century wore a great deal of sheepskin, but bear in mind that their motorcycle “protection” was more about cold than falls and scrapes. Most everyone rode a bike because cars were unaffordable; think traffic jam more than racetrack. You’ll note that when Lewis started making suits for sport riders, they switched to an abrasion resistant cowhide with a strong topcoat.

Shearling is just “sheepskin with the hair still on it”.

Goat and sheep are not even remotely comparable hides. It’s not like horse vs cow, which are about identical.

Goat is an extremely tough and hardy hide. Sheep (and lamb) are softer, more comfortable hides with little in the way of abrasion resistance.

Goat is perhaps most similar to kangaroo hide, which is even thinner and more abrasion resistant.

I love how everybody has such strong opinions and presents themselves as an expert…..this is the first sentence from “cruising” motorcycle magazine…..I completely disagree that Lewis is a fashion brand anymore……
View attachment 499574 View attachment 499574

This reads like a machine-generated article, which I’m guessing it is.

TG3

One of the Regulars

oskar

One of the Regulars
I can’t imagine a worse hide for protective purposes, than sheepskin. I wouldn’t trust goat either. For a light weight hide I think Kangaroo is the best choice. Despite its ugly appearance, Vansons current comp weight is leaps and bounds above anything Lewis Leathers offers for the purpose of protective gear. LL to me is absolutely not protective gear. Not in any way shape or form (and I don’t think they are trying to be).
Goat is great. I played around with some samples and tried to scratch them. Very easy to do with cow and horse. On the other hand it was very very hard to do with goat.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@TG3
The "Pacific" is just a one of Simmons Bilt models. The one that I'm planning to order to be more specific.
https://simmonsbilt.com/products/pacific
Canuck Panda mentioned me because it is quite similar to your lovely FL jacket.
If I can get a similar look and fit - I'll be a very happy man.
How's the quilted lining by the way?
I'm going with "Cotton Black Watch Tartan" lining with my order.
Also are you happy with going zipped hand warmers?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
The "Pacific" is just a one of Simmons Bilt models. The one that I'm planning to order to be more specific.
https://simmonsbilt.com/products/pacific
Those double side adjusters make my eyes bleed. They have no business on a 'stripped down biker jacket'. There never was a biker jacket like this, other than 80s /90s junk or the Lewis Leathers lightning, but this is not the Lewis Leathers lightning :). And you don't want a premium quality jacket to have features that signal 80s /90s junk.

CEBAE58E-C854-4E36-ACCB-3E01D822D42F.jpeg
FD3CC34E-0965-46B2-82E5-ED5542445EAF.jpeg

Aloysius

They wouldn’t be so bad if they were right next to each other but the spacing generates a hideous look.

But then again I read through the Simmons thread the other day and virtually all of their designs look visually ‘off’ in some way. I get that they’re trying to cover up the stolen patterns but at that point they should have sticked to the original, attractive designs…

HIGHQUALITYLOWKEY

New in Town
Something like that. Murawski is an electrition and outdoor enthusiast, so he writes on ‘rugged’ brands from the perspective of someone who uses the stuff, as opposed to a fashion perspective. He does collabs with companies to develop special limited runs of things that aren’t part of the regular collection (yet–they usually become so, if the special run is successful). His company name is his name, so I think you must have been under the impression that it was an order for one person. It wasn’t. It’s a company.

Last year he did it with Nick’s boots for a special run of Tanker boots that look like the original 1940s examples, but contain all of the work boot refinements. These are now available as part of the standard line, albeit without the deadstock soles.

View attachment 491834

I expect there will be new Field jackets to the spec the two of them developed.
To be fair, I'm both a "guy" and a "company" ...at least last time I checked. It's true though, I've had the privilege of working with some amazing craftsmen and craftswomen to bring my ideas to life. It feels a little odd to see my name on something another person built, but I'm really proud of each and every collaboration.

HIGHQUALITYLOWKEY

New in Town
@FullSnd716 I got one this morning.
For £850 I thought it was a great deal. Especially compared to the used McCoy ones I was looking at from Japan. ¥300,000 new, ¥200,000 used with bald sleeve ends and bald hems and no sizing.
The website didn’t want to work with my IPad or I’m just too old. Had to use my phone to log in and complete the transaction.
it’s probably one of the worst time to introduce a shearling jacket, spring is here, tax filing is next month. but in business failures are just as valuable as success.
Absolutely true! I checked this morning and we've sold just about 50 of the shearling B3 in about 24 hours. The original idea was to release the jacket in November of 2022, but Greg is fanatical about the details and needed more time to work it out. In the end I'm really happy we waited until it was ready (even if the weather will be getting warmer soon!). Hopefully people will have their orders for next winter and enjoy them until they get passed down!

barnabus

One Too Many
I love how everybody has such strong opinions and presents themselves as an expert…..this is the first sentence from “cruising” motorcycle magazine…..I completely disagree that Lewis is a fashion brand anymore……
View attachment 499574 View attachment 499574

Have you already asked LL if they recommend their sheep leather jackets for riding?

With all the opinions around, it would be interesting to hear theirs.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Marc mndt @Aloysius
Yes, very nice to have "make my eyes bleed" and "hideous" thrown at the something I'm planning to order. Thank you for your constructive feedback. On the positive side it makes the forum more reflective of the real world where people throw their opinions at you whether you like it or not if you go for something out of the ordinary and decide to show up in public space. Reminds me of the days in my past when I had long dreadlocks and would get random insults somewhat regularly on the streets. But I'm sure both you and those guys on the streets simply meant to help me steer clear of poor choices.

Aloysius

To be fair, I'm both a "guy" and a "company" ...at least last time I checked. It's true though, I've had the privilege of working with some amazing craftsmen and craftswomen to bring my ideas to life. It feels a little odd to see my name on something another person built, but I'm really proud of each and every collaboration.

My point was that you’re not just some buddy of Greg’s who gets to jump the line and have a jacket made in whatever material, as the troll was insinuating.

Aloysius

@Marc mndt @Aloysius
Yes, very nice to have "make my eyes bleed" and "hideous" thrown at the something I'm planning to order. Thank you for your constructive feedback. On the positive side it makes the forum more reflective of the real world where people throw their opinions at you whether you like it or not if you go for something out of the ordinary and decide to show up in public space. Reminds me of the days in my past when I had long dreadlocks and would get random insults somewhat regularly on the streets. But I'm sure both you and those guys on the streets simply meant to help me steer clear of poor choices.

You keep making these posts about makers/products/configuration options and then get angry when anyone responds to them with other than acclamation. Very interesting method you have.

TartuWolf

Practically Family
@Aloysius I'm not angry, I appreciate constructive feedback. Haven't heard any from you yet. But It's fine, I've had my share of people like you. Like I said, reflective of the real world. Prevents this from becoming a pleasant echo chamber.

My point was that you’re not just some buddy of Greg’s who gets to jump the line and have a jacket made in whatever material, as the troll was insinuating.
It had occurred to me, how irritated I would've been to be in Greg's queue for almost a year (or whatever his current wait time is) only to have the queue paused for a side project, social media stunt release. Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the queue, but that would've really irked me.

El Marro

@Marc mndt @Aloysius
But it is constructive criticism, if you eliminate the extra adjuster on each side the jacket would suck less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112